Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You mean in Atlanta? I don't know. All I'm saying is that you have to consider more than rail-based transit to make the argument that one place has better transportation infrastructure than another.

And Dallas has two airports.
And Atlanta is considered a major transportation hub. And Dallas isn't.

Old 01-18-2018, 12:55 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,141,538 times
Both offer a lot, as do the other cities on the list. As has been the case since last Fall, those who view this through "my city offers this so that is what is most important to Amazon" fail to see this is a list of good cities each with strengths and weaker areas.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:46 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
I hope Amazon executives visit Atlanta on a 60 degree day. No other city can rival Atlanta's beautiful neighborhoods and trees on a beautiful day. I think executives would be fairly impress at a ride from North Springs to the Airport. It is one of the easiest and most efficient rides to the airport.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:50 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,451,557 times
I think Atlanta is in great position, but I still worry about the potential cost of living impact. Even if Amazon doesn't meet that lofty 20 year goal, it's still going to be a game changer and other smaller companies will definitely follow suit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
And Atlanta is considered a major transportation hub. And Dallas isn't.
DFW Airport? 3rd busiest airport in the world in terms of movement, and American's hub. Dallas Love is also the fastest growing airport now that restrictions have been lifted. DFW metro is home to Southwest and American's HQ's, plus Toyota.

More freeway miles, there's transit lines, and Dallas also handles a lot of Mexico logistics, and I 20/35 is a major crossroads. And Dallas has a direct route to the ports like Atlanta does.

Both Atlanta and Dallas are major transportation cities, but as we know Amazon will be looking at more than that, and that's obviously not their biggest focus when cities like Columbus and Austin are still in it.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
And let the new articles begin, we are still favorite by this CNBC article.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/18/how-...tml?yptr=yahoo

Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,878,536 times
I hope Atlanta gets Amazon, traffic is bad enough Nashville we don't need it and you guys have some public transportation.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:18 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I think Atlanta is in great position, but I still worry about the potential cost of living impact. Even if Amazon doesn't meet that lofty 20 year goal, it's still going to be a game changer and other smaller companies will definitely follow suit.

DFW Airport? 3rd busiest airport in the world in terms of movement, and American's hub. Dallas Love is also the fastest growing airport now that restrictions have been lifted. DFW metro is home to Southwest and American's HQ's, plus Toyota.

More freeway miles, there's transit lines, and Dallas also handles a lot of Mexico logistics, and I 20/35 is a major crossroads. And Dallas has a direct route to the ports like Atlanta does.

Both Atlanta and Dallas are major transportation cities, but as we know Amazon will be looking at more than that, and that's obviously not their biggest focus when cities like Columbus and Austin are still in it.
Yes, I shouldn't have been so flat dismissive of Dallas as a hub. It's certainly no slouch in terms of air traffic. But Atlanta is in a different weight class.

Here are the busiest airports in the world 2017 - Business Insider

Old 01-18-2018, 02:35 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Yes, I shouldn't have been so flat dismissive of Dallas as a hub. It's certainly no slouch in terms of air traffic. But Atlanta is in a different weight class.

Here are the busiest airports in the world 2017 - Business Insider
Both Dallas and Atlanta offer the flights Amazon is looking for as specified in the RFP several times over.

Again, I was simply saying that the claim that Atlanta has the overall better transportation infrastructure compared to Dallas is highly debatable considering everything.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:42 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Both Dallas and Atlanta offer the flights Amazon is looking for as specified in the RFP several times over.

Again, I was simply saying that the claim that Atlanta has the overall better transportation infrastructure compared to Dallas is highly debatable considering everything.
Either are "heavier" than SEA. ATL #1 in traffic, DFW #11, SEA #28.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:59 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,947,032 times
Couple of things....

- It doesn't appear that a quality extensive transit system is a requirement.
- It doesn't appear that an awesome airport is a requirement.
- It doesn't appear that an urban setting is a requirement
- It doesn't appear being in a blue state is a requirement

All of these things can still sway their decision, but they aren't deal breakers.

It does appear that they want solid universities close by. Indy and Denver might be the exception.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta