Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 12:16 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's sad that you think that way....but I really don't care if you think I'm either or both.
Well, both my old and new places are both less than 800 SF units with at least two people and a large dog(s) living there too. In that space I have hosted dinner parties for 14+ on multiple occasions, have my own private space to close off any time I need it, and plenty of room to store everything I need. My mother grew up as one of seven kids in a ~2,000 SF, 3 BR house like the ones shown in this link. So yes, I think anyone that "needs" a home larger than these in this link is just entitled. You want more than that, great, but you should not expect it to be affordable.

And yes, I do think there are racist undertones in those the disparage majority black neighborhoods.

Old 09-21-2017, 12:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I would say that neighborhoods can be good or bad regardless of who lives there.

But if you've already made up your mind that nobody is allowed to call a neighborhood bad just because black people happen to live there, you're not going to listen anyway. So there's really nothing more to say.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I would say that neighborhoods can be good or bad regardless of who lives there.

But if you've already made up your mind that nobody is allowed to call a neighborhood bad just because black people happen to live there, you're not going to listen anyway. So there's really nothing more to say.
Which majority white neighborhoods in Atlanta do you consider to be "hood"? Which majority black neighborhoods would you live in?

Old 09-21-2017, 01:09 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Which majority white neighborhoods in Atlanta do you consider to be "hood"? Which majority black neighborhoods would you live in?

If you are talking strictly in the city proper there isn't a huge amount of majority white neighborhoods to begin with so this is a loaded question from the start. A simple look at the City Crime Map would be all one would need to determine this. Crime is crime it doesn't discriminate doesn't matter if it is a white, black, pink, or green person is doing it.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Which majority white neighborhoods in Atlanta do you consider to be "hood"?
Douglasville. Villa Rica. Temple. Hiram.

Quote:
Which majority black neighborhoods would you live in?
Cascade Heights. Lithonia. Atlanta.

Although to be completely transparent, Atlanta is probably the only majority black city I would actually live in, because it at least has some diversity. Cascade and Lithonia are more or less 100% black, but the point is, I would most definitely not consider them "hood." I already live in a majority-minority neighborhood, it just isn't black majority (there is NO majority where I live).

Old 09-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
If you are talking strictly in the city proper there isn't a huge amount of majority white neighborhoods to begin with so this is a loaded question from the start.
Greater Buckhead, Midtown, and almost all the east-side neighborhoods are majority white. Which geographically makes up a large chuck of the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
A simple look at the City Crime Map would be all one would need to determine this. Crime is crime it doesn't discriminate doesn't matter if it is a white, black, pink, or green person is doing it.
Can you link me to the City Crime Map you are using and the objective criteria for how you are deciding which neighborhood is acceptable?

Old 09-21-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Douglasville. Villa Rica. Temple. Hiram.

Cascade Heights. Lithonia. Atlanta.

Although to be completely transparent, Atlanta is probably the only majority black city I would actually live in, because it at least has some diversity. Cascade and Lithonia are more or less 100% black, but the point is, I would most definitely not consider them "hood." I already live in a majority-minority neighborhood, it just isn't black majority (there is NO majority where I live).
So you are saying wouldn't live in Cascade Heights or Lithonia? "Atlanta" is not a neighborhood.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
So you are saying wouldn't live in Cascade Heights or Lithonia?
No, I probably wouldn't....because as far as I know, those areas are at least 80% black. And I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood that is 80% anything, be it black, Asian, Hispanic, or white.

If that makes me racist, I guess I'm a racist.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:18 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
No, I probably wouldn't....because as far as I know, those areas are at least 80% black. And I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood that is 80% anything, be it black, Asian, Hispanic, or white.

If that makes me racist, I guess I'm a racist.
I don't see an issue of racism here, ATLTJL. But those houses on Rugby and Oglethorpe sure don't seem like the hood to me.

Old 09-21-2017, 04:01 PM

I don't know that much about West End, really....

But College Park seems to always end up on lists like this one of the worst suburbs in Atlanta:
The 10 worst Atlanta suburbs - Story | WAGA

Maybe it's improved since 2009, but who could forget this scathing report:
College Park worst for crime, FBI stats say

And the uncensored conversations over on Reddit seem to mostly agree that College Park is a dump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta