Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 02:01 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

Here is the reply I received to my question:

"Hi - over on the City-Data Forum there is a discussion about "Atlanta" and the meaning behind it. Would love to know. Thank you for considering to share either back to me to relay or on the site. Take care and have a great weekend. http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/2825683-song-atlanta-about-atlanta.html"

"Haha your on to us .. the original influence was the abortion clinic shootings but it goes much deeper. To Afghanstan, fake evandelists, vigilantes and beyond. Lemme ask Lou what he feels since the lyrics were more his concept. For me its served as warning that no one remebers why you were violent, just that you were."

I thanked him and replied I would be excited to hear what Lou had to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2019, 12:28 PM

2 posts, read 420 times
Hi, expect us to come back for our reunion shows very soon

Here is some old show footage if you are into the live thing. Hopefully I will post some new videos on youtube when we get things rolling again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKeKoIj_EPo&t=328s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwd65cJ9zVo&t=913s

Old 10-25-2019, 12:54 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
Thanks for posting the videos!

I'd be interested in hearing how your songs got licensed to Sony. Weren't you an unsigned band at that time? How did whoever was getting music together for the game find you? From what I recall, most of the other music used was from well-known bands that had pretty big hits.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:57 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,699,116 times
Default Is this song about Atlanta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Here is the reply I received to my question:

"Hi - over on the City-Data Forum there is a discussion about "Atlanta" and the meaning behind it. Would love to know. Thank you for considering to share either back to me to relay or on the site. Take care and have a great weekend. http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/2825683-song-atlanta-about-atlanta.html"

"Haha your on to us .. the original influence was the abortion clinic shootings but it goes much deeper. To Afghanstan, fake evandelists, vigilantes and beyond. Lemme ask Lou what he feels since the lyrics were more his concept. For me its served as warning that no one remebers why you were violent, just that you were."

I thanked him and replied I would be excited to hear what Lou had to say.
I saw this conversational exchange from back then for the first time just this morning.
The reply the band member wrote included the line: "...no one remembers why you were violent, just that you were."

It's understandable & also somewhat tragic that the time period of the '96 Olympics is associated with what could be called "Atlanta violence", at least as how the band has laid down their lyrics.

The events were tragic for the loss of life & and also for the general chaos & fear the violent events at the abortion clinic, the gay bar & Olympic Park caused.
What is doubly unfortunate for Atlanta and it's reputation is the fact that it really is true that, in this case "...no one remembers why you were violent, just that you were", as the song lyrics go.

In response to that admittedly fuzzy "memory" the band has written into the lyrics I will note that:
It is a fact that the abortion clinic violence that claimed a life occurred in Birmingham and was laid at the murderous hands of Eric Rudolph of the Appalachian region of North Carolina.

It is also a fact that the Olympic Park bombing that occurred in Atlanta was perpetrated by the murderous hands of Eric Rudolph of the Appalachian region of North Carolina.

It is also a fact that the bombing of a gay bar on Piedmont Avenue in Atlanta did not result in the loss of life but the murderous hands of Eric Rudolph of the Appalachian region of North Carolina sought to kill and maim people in that bar.

It is also a fact that the people of Atlanta in effect acted collectively in a response that said, "You are not going to take away & ruin the spirit of our Olympic Games", by turning out at the park the next evening in a massive show of attendance, myself included, that effectively sought to "take back" our Olympics from the violence & fear generated by the murderous hands of Eric Rudolph of the Appalachian region of North Carolina.

It is also a fact that after his cowardly acts of violence had been perpetrated, Eric Rudolph fled home and hid from law enforcement for months. It eventually became known upon his capture, that some of the good people of the the Appalachian region of North Carolina had aided the murderous Eric Rudolph as he hid in the wilds of the mountains of that state. It also eventually became known that the murderer Eric Rudolph would not have eluded capture for so long if he had not received aid up there.

In various conversations over the interim, I have learned that I am not the only one who has wondered how it is possible that people apparently harbor so much resentment and/or hate toward their fellow American citizens that they could give shelter & aid to a wanted fugitive who allegedly had caused the loss of life in both Birmingham and Atlanta.

All in all, it is a piece of history that over time has grown fuzzy in the memories of many people such that a song could be written and say, "No one remembers why you were violent, just that you were."

Old 08-04-2020, 03:27 PM

2 posts, read 420 times
Default Jose_WelchBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Thanks for posting the videos!

I'd be interested in hearing how your songs got licensed to Sony. Weren't you an unsigned band at that time? How did whoever was getting music together for the game find you? From what I recall, most of the other music used was from well-known bands that had pretty big hits.
As things go online im just seeing this. that was before my time. I'll ask geno to see if he wants to share that, its been a long time and I don't even remember. I think Geno knew someone at Sony that liked the band. usually that's how those things go. ill see if he jumps in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: