Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 05:38 PM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times

Advertisements

So next subject.. High Speed Rail... While we all think it's an ingenious idea to interconnect major regions with high speed railroads... Who here is actually brave enough to sit in a train moving at 300+ MPH on the ground. I was looking at YouTube videos of the French TVG and that thing is no slouch.. ..you think youre up to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 05:52 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,380,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
So next subject.. High Speed Rail... While we all think it's an ingenious idea to interconnect major regions with high speed railroads... Who here is actually brave enough to sit in a train moving at 300+ MPH on the ground. I was looking at YouTube videos of the French TVG and that thing is no slouch.. ..you think youre up to it?
I wouldn't. Seems to me that it would be pretty darn easy to sabotage one of those zippy trains. Think I'll stick to my car and airplanes.

Old 12-15-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
.....aaaand noone else has replied for almost a whole day... ...I'm bringing this up the next time someone gets ticked off at GDOT for lagging behind on High Speed Rail movements...

Old 12-15-2017, 06:55 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Those sonofaguns are flat moving out.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:48 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,923,077 times
Quote:
.....aaaand noone else has replied for almost a whole day... ...I'm bringing this up the next time someone gets ticked off at GDOT for lagging behind on High Speed Rail movements...
I'd take the TGV or any other high speed rail in a heartbeat, personally. I have a lot of friends and clients that have, and they've all loved them.

I'm actually embarrassed that the wealthiest Country on the planet can only manage to reach 150 mph on a very small section of track in just one isolated section of the Northeast.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:10 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I'd take the TGV or any other high speed rail in a heartbeat, personally. I have a lot of friends and clients that have, and they've all loved them.

I'm actually embarrassed that the wealthiest Country on the planet can only manage to reach 150 mph on a very small section of track in just one isolated section of the Northeast.

1) Haha. Every time I looked at the Atlanta thread, I was the last poster.

2) Yup...I mean it's the wealthiest country and yet...I think the statistic is 17% of people live in poverty. We are said to have the best health care, but many can't afford it.

I've always wanted to take the train to travel to other states. It would be nice for the U.S. to have bullet trains. I have a feeling it would be more expensive than flying though. If I could afford it and had the time, I would take the train but if I don't have a lot of days off/on a tight budget, it would be a plane.

Old 12-16-2017, 03:01 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times
Sitting Georgia Lt. Governor and current 2018 gubernatorial race frontrunner Casey Cagle stated that the coming 2018 legislative session of the Georgia General Assembly 'is going to be busy' as he addressed the Gwinnett County Chamber of Commerce during its Legislative Update luncheon last Wednesday at the Sonesta Gwinnett Place.

Quote:
Tax reform, broadband access, fighting opioid addiction and venture capital investments are some of the issues legislators will face next year, Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle told the Gwinnett Chamber during a luncheon Wednesday.

Cagle, who is running for governor, delivered the annual end-of-the-year legislative update to the chamber at the Sonesta Gwinnett Place. He spent much of his speech addressing broad, long-term issues facing the state before getting into the major issues that the General Assembly will face in 2018.

He also touched on some issues that he plans to push in the upcoming legislative session.
"Cagle: 2018 legislative session ‘is going to be busy’" (Gwinnett Daily Post)
Cagle: 2018 legislative session

During the same speech to the Gwinnett Chamber on Wednesday, Lt. Governor Cagle also addressed transportation and explored the possibility of using tunnels and elevated road systems as a means of alleviating severe traffic congestion along with the continuing technological movement towards automated vehicles.

Quote:
Tunnels, elevated highways, transit and autonomous vehicles are all possible parts of Georgia’s transportation future, Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle told the Gwinnett Chamber this week.

While Cagle visited the chamber to talk about the upcoming legislative session, he also used the opportunity to discuss the state’s long-term issues, such as transportation and workforce development. In the process, the 2018 gubernatorial candidate offered a view into how he might handle key issues — particularly transportation — if he were elected governor next year.

The lieutenant governor said the state needs a 10-year strategic plan for transportation infrastructure.
"Cagle: Transportation infrastructure is key to future growth, prosperity" (Gwinnett Daily Post)
Cagle: Transportation infrastructure is key to future growth, prosperity | News | gwinnettdailypost.com

Old 12-17-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Tunnels, elevated highways, transit and autonomous vehicles are all possible parts of Georgia’s transportation future, Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle told the Gwinnett Chamber this week.

While Cagle visited the chamber to talk about the upcoming legislative session, he also used the opportunity to discuss the state’s long-term issues, such as transportation and workforce development. In the process, the 2018 gubernatorial candidate offered a view into how he might handle key issues — particularly transportation — if he were elected governor next year.

The lieutenant governor said the state needs a 10-year strategic plan for transportation infrastructure.
Quote within quote...

The bolded part seems super super super unrealistically optimistic to me. I'd be blown into oblivioniously shocked if they built an elevated highway or tunnel anywhere in this county.. even transit seems far fetched at this point but ever so needed.

With that stated, sometimes.. I get these super unrealistic and expensive "what if" ideas.. and that is, "what if" they converted I-85 into a "Super Corridor" Basically, a double decked (Ground Level and Sub-Ground level, much like I-635 in northern DFW.) with tolled express lanes (4 each way) sub-ground and all general purpose at surface level, and riding along the support beams of the median that keeps the ground level suspended, would be an extension of MARTA rail and at every exit, a park and ride facility for both GRTA and MARTA rail.

I know I know... dream on... but I do wonder how something like that would effect the county overall..

Otherwise I wish they would convert PIB into a Super Arterial with MARTA rail in the median (extended from lets say Doraville), likewise U.S. 78 between West Park Place and Scenic Highway.... (MARTA rail extended from lets say Decatur.)

another dream on...

I just personally feel, like always...all these politicians do is talk... when the pen actually meets the paper to sign a contract on doing something...I'll get more interested...

Edit: I decided to make another thread regarding Super Corridors here: What If: "Super Corridors" in Atlanta Metro

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 12-17-2017 at 10:08 AM..

Old 12-17-2017, 03:54 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
How has the job market and pay been in comparison with the average rent in Atlanta area?

Old 12-17-2017, 10:32 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Rent definitely isn't what it used to be. I think the rent is pretty high. As for the job market, that's a loaded question. Do you want to be a little more specific? Someone working in tech will have a totally different answer than let's say someone who is a teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta