Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2017, 02:53 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,487,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
How has the job market and pay been in comparison with the average rent in Atlanta area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Rent definitely isn't what it used to be. I think the rent is pretty high. As for the job market, that's a loaded question. Do you want to be a little more specific? Someone working in tech will have a totally different answer than let's say someone who is a teacher.
DreamerD makes some excellent points about both the rental market and the job market.

Rents in the Atlanta area have been rising significantly over the past 2-3 years as the housing market as a whole has grown increasingly competitive as the Atlanta area economy (along with the national economy) has recovered from the Great Recession downturn of the late-2000's and early 2010's and transitioned upwards into what feels like a near-economic peak here in the late 2010's.

Rents are generally highest near clusters of the highest-paying jobs and event/activity centers (which is generally north of Interstate 20 in and near areas like the City of Atlanta (Downtown, Midtown, Buckhead and Emory University), Cobb County (Cumberland and Smyrna areas), all of North Fulton County and North DeKalb County (including Perimeter Center/Dunwoody, Chamblee and Brookhaven). Rents are also rising throughout much of the rest of the Atlanta metro area in a housing market where demand for rental dwellings has been high and supply has not been near as plentiful as in the past.

Meanwhile, in the job market, pay is generally good if one is in booming fields like Tech, TV/Film Production and Corporate Management and pay is above-average to adequate in fields like Law/Legal Services, Real Estate and Financial Services... But the pay is generally so-so throughout much of the rest of the job market in an Atlanta metro area where the Cost-of-Living is noticeably on the rise.

Though, Atlanta is still a relative bargain when compared with the significantly more expensive markets of the Northeast and the West Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2017, 12:03 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,750,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
How has the job market and pay been in comparison with the average rent in Atlanta area?
Rent isn't high. It is "high" by Atlanta standards in heart of the city in the new high-rises but if you live in the suburbs you can still get a one bedroom in a safe neighborhood for $800 per month. Contact promove

Old 12-18-2017, 02:54 PM

10,744 posts, read 13,379,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
Rent isn't high. It is "high" by Atlanta standards in heart of the city in the new high-rises but if you live in the suburbs you can still get a one bedroom in a safe neighborhood for $800 per month. Contact promove
Lord, my first rental - a one bedroom, one bath - cost me $475 / mo in 1990. Times be a changin'

Old 12-18-2017, 04:08 PM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Lord, my first rental - a one bedroom, one bath - cost me $475 / mo in 1990. Times be a changin'
I remember in my college days (1976, to be exact) renting a lakefront furnished 1 BR cottage for $150. Boy, that was sweet...and my pot dealer lived next door!

Old 12-18-2017, 04:39 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I remember in my college days (1976, to be exact) renting a lakefront furnished 1 BR cottage for $150. Boy, that was sweet...and my pot dealer lived next door!
Our first apartment cost $90 -- for three months!

Laid out the first Benjamin I ever had in my life and we were set. We even had the extra $10 to play around on.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:37 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,364,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
I used to rent an apartment out in the suburbs for $650 about 6 years ago and this was a pretty nice apartment in a decent neighborhood. Rent isn't expensive obviously if one earns a high salary but a few months ago, I was considering getting into education. Assuming I graduated and started teaching, I don't know if my salary would be enough to rent an apartment nowadays with the apartment being nice and decent neighborhood. The reason for this is a lot of apts. now ask that you earn at least 3 times the amount of rent in order to qualify.

Then again, if I'm paying that much for an apartment, it would make sense to consider buying a house if I can hahaha.

And I guess this needs to be said. I've always noticed my co-workers having a boyfriend or a girlfriend they live with or 4 other people they share a house with. That makes a huge difference. Rent would then be affordable obviously but single people have to bear the cost of their one bedroom/two bedroom on their own.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:38 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Rent for a single person for a studio / 1 BR will range between $700 and $900 MO in most of the Metro which overall isn't bad.

As far as the job market, overall - while jobs are plentiful and the cost of living in Atlanta is still pretty low in comparison to most major cities, Jobs are not compensating for the slowly increasing cost of living and that is what makes Atlanta "seem" expensive is that employers are not reinforcing the COL.

Example, recently I had an offer to move to San Francisco for $120k a year which here in Atlanta would be overkill. In San Francisco it was pretty much barely enough to make ends meet. In Atlanta here average employer is wanting to pay around $40 - 45k a year but the COL to live comfortably here is closer to about $50k (for a single person with no additional financial help.) so there is a slowly increasing gap in that respect.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:29 AM

11,785 posts, read 7,995,430 times
HAPPY HOLIDAYS FOLKS.

Noting this as this is the first day where driving to work was pretty much among empty streets.. ..guess thats my christmas present, an easy commute to work!

Old 12-21-2017, 10:30 AM

23,459 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Default Kids These Days! The Mark at 10th and Spring

I hate sounding like one of those old people that yammers on about how much easier the youngsters have it than we did, but I really thought that living in squalid housing was a rite of passage for college students. If I had had this to look forward to, I would have signed up for Early Enrollment.

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2017/12/1...a-tech-midtown

Old 12-21-2017, 10:45 AM

1,180 posts, read 983,599 times
Such is progress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta