Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 04:48 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,054,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I just happened to see this article:

They're leaving California for Las Vegas to find the middle-class life that eluded them - LA Times

What really struck me is all the problems cited in the article seem to be true here as well. $1160 for a one bedroom apartment? Check. 90 minute to 2 hour commutes to live in a more affordable area...check.

Yet the narrative here seems to be people are moving TO Atlanta, not AWAY from it. That strikes me as odd given the situations are similar.

What do you think?

Personally, I think this article is wrong. I know a lot of people who live in LA. They know they overpay, but they're just not willing to leave. They've got it good and they know it....in fact, all they have said to me for 20 years is, "When are you moving out here???"
I feel like the entire United States is turning into California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 06:17 PM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_Areas

Rather than "driving through," you could look up actual numbers.

Atlanta, #9 MSA, has 5.8 million. SFO is 4.7 million. If you throw in Athens and San Jose, the Bay Area is 6.7 million and Atlanta 6.0 million.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:03 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Facts for those in denial:
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l.../north-america

Atlanta is #28 with an index of 155 (NYC is #1 at 236) in North America with only Chicago ahead of it who is not on the coasts. Charlotte is #50 at 141. Cincinnati is #62 at 137. Detroit is #98 at 120.
The bigger or denser the city the more expensive the city is. This of course is also depending more factors as well, other variable such as taxes and etc added.

Do even you even realize that are only 3 metros not on the coast that are even bigger than Atlanta? So of course a metro Atlanta size is more expensive than Charlotte and Nashville. they are only 1 to 2.5 million size metros they are no where develop in Atlanta. In fact Atlanta has over 3.5 million just in 1,800 sq mi, Charlotte 3,198 sq m just to get 2.4 million.

Atlanta is relative on low side of price in tier of the larger metros with in a CSA.

DFW, Houston, Atlanta, Philadelphia, DC, Miami, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, and New York.
------------------------

Several things with LA

1. LA is a lot denser than people think

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2414/...7ecc6811_b.jpg

2. There a land scarcity.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/P3Zx...sprawl.0.0.jpg

3. LA metro area is trapped between the Ocean, Mountains and some extent a desert

4. The Inland Empire "san bernardino, Riverside" next LA is one fastest growing MSA the last decade.......... it 4 million. You have wonder why dont people know about this 4 million booming metro..... That because it's really LA.

It's still a part of Greater LA CSA but a separate MSA, The inland area is basically growing because of LA sprawl.

It's sorta like Hall county with Gainesville, Hall is not actually a part of Atlanta MSA it's a seprate MSA but Hall county is growing because of Atlanta.

Old 12-04-2017, 09:18 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Los Angeles is over twice as dense as Atlanta, but it's still not dense at all by other major city standards. Especially as the second largest city in the country.

Population (in thousands) per square mile:

New York City: 27.0
San Francisco: 17.2
Boston: 13.3
Chicago: 11.8
Philadelphia: 11.2
Miami: 11.1
Los Angeles: 8.4
Atlanta: 3.3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lation_density

Interesting fact I just learned: the 4 most dense cities in the US are all in New Jersey.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:52 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,442,323 times
Let start with the basics: LA is megapolis of 18+ million people, the only land between LA and San Diego is Camp Pendleton, and LA cannot expand west or east. Atlanta metro about 6.5 million and can still expand north, south, east, and west. Why on earth would anyone try to compare two cities that are foundational and geographically so different. Its like saying what if Africa starting in Antarctica, would black people still be dark.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:18 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
I lived in SoCal for 5 years.

Greater LA begins 150 miles inland and is solid development to the ocean.

Groceries are double of what they cost here, due to added costs of shipping/trucking from East/Midwest .

Gas is more expensive, again far-flung location a factor.

SoCal has its own insular economy, sort of, and can be strong when everywhere else is in recession.

Housing is absurd, a 3br 70s ranch in OC over a million, and the ubiquitous style out there of ceilings with beams (no attic) looks, by East Coast standards, like a manufactured home's ceiling, aka double-wide.

You all have watched Flip or Flop, all of those houses look like what we'd have as a storage shed in back.

Traffic is so bad now compared to the 90's when I was lucky enough to live in Santa Monica, Mid-Wilshire, Newport Bch and Laguna, you cannot traverse different areas on a daily basis like I did.

It takes hours to navigate from say, Silverlake to Venice Beach, and a holiday treck to a decent beach entails 2-3 hours of driving round trip.

LA was to the country in the 60's-70's, what Atlanta is to the Southeast and Midwest for the past 25 years.

The Bay area does have about 8 million people scattered over a big swath, but distance there has nothing to do with distance here, where Atlanta is a concentric cluster, which is impressive at 70 miles across in any direction.

Old 12-05-2017, 05:49 AM

294 posts, read 264,314 times
There are about 150,000 high earners driving all the growth you see. The film industry is not sustainable. Until the image of Atlanta is cleaned up... let’s face it, the metro is dirty and power lines,dark freeways, make us look New Orleanesque. Clean this up and BRIGHTEN UP the metro literally and prices will go through the roof. Right now more ghetto hoochie mamas and wannabe rappers are moving here from the likes of Pick-a-lame place USA to give the illusion of “look ma, I made it!”

Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 AM

356 posts, read 317,002 times
Huh? Why do you think the film industry isn't sustainable?

The metro is dirty? And brightening will raise hone values? Ever been to NYC or San Francisco? (as one blogger put it, the official scent is hobo pee). That's dirty. And sky high real estate of course.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,087,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused Husbandad View Post
Until the image of Atlanta is cleaned up... let’s face it, the metro is dirty and power lines,dark freeways, make us look New Orleanesque.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:00 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,927,785 times
That fun, cheap and cool California gone forever: however, similar and better California does exist in another world/life just like this one did in circa: 1920's-1987.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta