Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:28 AM

25 posts, read 27,898 times

Advertisements

Our family is very close to making a final decision to move to Tyrone. We are looking for feedback about Flat Rock Middle School and Sandy Creek High School. We have explored Great Schools, school digger, and the Georgia Governor's Report (Most accurate) so we know demographics and test scores. At this point we are really looking for feedback on real experiences of families who have children attending (or recently attended) these schools. Particularly, what has your experience been related to:

*STEM Program offerings
*Teacher effectiveness and instruction
*Sense of community
*After-school programs (beyond sports)

Any input is GREATLY appreciated even about other middle and high schools in Fayette County!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 09:27 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,360,940 times
Fayette County has some of the best public schools that Metro Atlanta has to offer. No, Flat Rock/ Sandy Creek is not the best feeder pattern in Fayette County, but they ARE DEFINITELY in the upper quartile for schools in the State of Georgia. I did know a teacher who taught at Flat Rock Middle (she now teachers at Whitewater High) and she raved about both the school's excellent faculty and wonderful student body. (she only went to Whitewater because of a desire to return to high school teaching.) I think you and your family would love the Sandy Creek cluster or really any Fayette County School. Get get a true feel for the school community, I would schedule a visit with one or both of the schools. Most administrators relish a chance to show off their schools. Good Luck.

Old 01-15-2018, 01:46 PM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
Fayette County is one of the best school districts in the State, and Sandy Creek has an exceptional STEM program. The head STEM teacher has won several awards and piloted a STEM mentoring program for some of the elementary schools in Peachtree City that my son attended. Sandy Creek also has a very good ROTC and athletic program. Flat Rock also has an excellent Math team. The High school student mentors that we met were top notch kids.

The only downside is that Sandy Creek and Flat Rock tend to be below the county average and usually rank last or next to last in Fayette County on test scores. With that said, it still tests in the top 25% of the state, it's just that the more affluent schools in Peachtree City and Southern Fayetteville tend to test in the top 5-10% of the state. Also, I have noticed that some, not many, of the tenured teachers at Sandy Creek and Flat Rock, will sometimes transfer to some of the higher performing Fayette County schools if they have the chance.

Also, the number of kids on free and reduced lunch at Sandy Creek continues to increase from about 3-4% in the 90's to currently over 33%.

But if you're looking for a diverse school (54% black, 22% white, 15% Hispanic 3% Asian, 6% multi race) with excellent teachers and academics, great facilities and extracurricular activities, Sandy Creek is a great choice.

Old 01-15-2018, 02:54 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
Fayette County is one of the best school districts in the State, and Sandy Creek has an exceptional STEM program. The head STEM teacher has won several awards and piloted a STEM mentoring program for some of the elementary schools in Peachtree City that my son attended. Sandy Creek also has a very good ROTC and athletic program. Flat Rock also has an excellent Math team. The High school student mentors that we met were top notch kids.

The only downside is that Sandy Creek and Flat Rock tend to be below the county average and usually rank last or next to last in Fayette County on test scores. With that said, it still tests in the top 25% of the state, it's just that the more affluent schools in Peachtree City and Southern Fayetteville tend to test in the top 5-10% of the state. Also, I have noticed that some, not many, of the tenured teachers at Sandy Creek and Flat Rock, will sometimes transfer to some of the higher performing Fayette County schools if they have the chance.

Also, the number of kids on free and reduced lunch at Sandy Creek continues to increase from about 3-4% in the 90's to currently over 33%.

But if you're looking for a diverse school (54% black, 22% white, 15% Hispanic 3% Asian, 6% multi race) with excellent teachers and academics, great facilities and extracurricular activities, Sandy Creek is a great choice.
Aren't Sandy Creek High and Flat Rock Middle also a bit smaller (population wise) than the other Fayette County clusters? There are a lot of benefits to this as well.

Old 01-15-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Fayette County has some of the best public schools that Metro Atlanta has to offer. No, Flat Rock/ Sandy Creek is not the best feeder pattern in Fayette County, but they ARE DEFINITELY in the upper quartile for schools in the State of Georgia. I did know a teacher who taught at Flat Rock Middle (she now teachers at Whitewater High) and she raved about both the school's excellent faculty and wonderful student body. (she only went to Whitewater because of a desire to return to high school teaching.) I think you and your family would love the Sandy Creek cluster or really any Fayette County School. Get get a true feel for the school community, I would schedule a visit with one or both of the schools. Most administrators relish a chance to show off their schools. Good Luck.
Thanks Clayton White Guy... We are visiting Flat Rock this Friday. Love the name, lol!

Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

761 posts, read 907,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Aren't Sandy Creek High and Flat Rock Middle also a bit smaller (population wise) than the other Fayette County clusters? There are a lot of benefits to this as well.
I think you’re right. It is one of the smaller if not smallest, which does offer some advantages. I know I have a tendency to focus too much on test scores. It’s also nice to have the elementary, middle, & high school next to each other. The new Westside development in Peachtree City was originally zoned to Sandy Creek which would have added a couple of hundred more students, but I think it was switched to McIntosh. This will keep Sandy Creek smaller than the other high schools in Fayette.

The biggest new development in the area is Pinewood Forrest which is going to have a huge impact and may add some families from Hollywood, and additional students to that cluster over the next 5 years.

Here are a few examples of some of the best teachers, students, and programs in that cluster.

http://thecitizen.com/2014/04/30/fay...dra-vlachakis/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...O08IL/amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...haI7M/amp.html

Fayette News / Sandy Creek Math Team shares love for their favorite subject - Fayette News

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...wvpmL/amp.html

Sandy Creek teacher Weinhardt named Fayette Teacher of Year - The Citizen

Old 01-16-2018, 06:01 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,198 times
Both Flat Rock and Sandy Creek have strong parental involvement with the accompanying strong sense of community. Many, many Sandy Creek kids go on to the Ivies or the elite private liberal arts colleges especially the "minority" kids. AND, they not only go to said colleges, they graduate. Not only do they graduate, they graduate within the prescribed time of their program; in other words - on time!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Dad View Post
I think you’re right. It is one of the smaller if not smallest, which does offer some advantages. I know I have a tendency to focus too much on test scores. It’s also nice to have the elementary, middle, & high school next to each other. The new Westside development in Peachtree City was originally zoned to Sandy Creek which would have added a couple of hundred more students, but I think it was switched to McIntosh. This will keep Sandy Creek smaller than the other high schools in Fayette.

The biggest new development in the area is Pinewood Forrest which is going to have a huge impact and may add some families from Hollywood, and additional students to that cluster over the next 5 years.

Here are a few examples of some of the best teachers, students, and programs in that cluster.

Fayette Teacher of the Year is Sandy Creek

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...O08IL/amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...haI7M/amp.html

Fayette News / Sandy Creek Math Team shares love for their favorite subject - Fayette News

https://www.google.com/amp/www.ajc.c...wvpmL/amp.html

Sandy Creek teacher Weinhardt named Fayette Teacher of Year - The Citizen
Thanks PTC Dad... For such a detailed reply. I will be checking out those links.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Both Flat Rock and Sandy Creek have strong parental involvement with the accompanying strong sense of community. Many, many Sandy Creek kids go on to the Ivies or the elite private liberal arts colleges especially the "minority" kids. AND, they not only go to said colleges, they graduate. Not only do they graduate, they graduate within the prescribed time of their program; in other words - on time!!!
Oldhousegirl do you have any personal experience with Sandy Creek or Flat Rock?

Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Thank you all. I will let you know more about my visits. We will now be able to tour both flat rock and Sandy Creek this Friday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta