Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 11:44 AM

562 posts, read 784,197 times

Advertisements

I really hope this isn't going to replace the planned light rail route on Capitol Ave. I'd much prefer that over BRT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 01:33 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,711,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I really hope this isn't going to replace the planned light rail route on Capitol Ave. I'd much prefer that over BRT.
I would be surprised if it did. Especially since that project was not only included in the More MARTA project list to potentially receive funding, but also because finishing the environmental review for it is in the Action Agenda for the city's transportation plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
The route just doesn't make any sense, regardless of whatever future plans there.
If you're furture-proofing a corridor that is about to be somewhat rebuilt anyway (Juniper streetscape project) for a larger route, it makes perfect sense to go ahead and start service now.

Quote:
If you live in Midtown somewhere south of 10th St and east of Piedmont Ave, why would you walk a few blocks in order to wait for a bus to take you all the way up to Arts Center station (via heavy traffic 14th St), when you can just a couple more blocks, to Midtown station or North Avenue station.
Because your destination might not be either of those places? This is more of a last/first-mile kind of thing, that won't be anywhere near the scale of the heavy rail backbone. It would also be faster for short trips than walking to a station, descending, riding a train, ascending, and walking back over from the station.

Also, consider that it might not only be MARTA buses that use these lanes. GRTA, Cobb Linc, and GCT may all make use of these lanes.

Quote:
Maybe if you're going to the park, but I thought the whole point of Piedmont Park was exercise on a nice day. Why would you take a bus to the park?
Just because you want to exercise / spend the day at the park, doesn't mean you want to walk all the way there.

Quote:
Dedicated lanes "BRT" is kind of silly for going north-south through Midtown. Seems like a weird priority, for literally the one area of the whole metro that already has mass rapid transit in place, which is way better than a bus.
It's very likely, IMO, that the city is future-proofing to make way for both future light rail and extended BRT routes in that corridor.

Quote:
Summerhill area, yeah, makes sense to have.
This will be a nice precursor to the light rail line.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,309,277 times
A BRT line, and bus-only lanes, are 2 completely different things. My confusion is with the BRT line part, when most of this line would be duplication of an HRT line. It just doesn't seem like it should be a priority, if even needed at all.

Bus-only lanes, absolutely. I'm a huge supporter of that.

I think every road and street and every freeway and interstate around here should have bus-only lanes, and actually enforced as such. That could really transform the region.

Also I think all the buses should be overhead-powered electric trolleys, like Seattle. Give it more of a sense of permanence.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:09 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,946,888 times
Quote:
If you're furture-proofing a corridor that is about to be somewhat rebuilt anyway (Juniper streetscape project) for a larger route, it makes perfect sense to go ahead and start service now.
I wonder who this plan could effect the protected bike lanes on Juniper and Piedmont?
Quote:
Also, consider that it might not only be MARTA buses that use these lanes. GRTA, Cobb Linc, and GCT may all make use of these lanes.
Then they should also help to pay for it!
Quote:
Also I think all the buses should be overhead-powered electric trolleys, like Seattle. Give it more of a sense of permanence.
With the increase in E-bus capabilities, overhead lines may be unneeded in the future.

Old 01-19-2018, 02:10 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,909,737 times
This is a good thing, hopefully they get most of it with dedicated RoW. Otherwise this is going to just water down the meaning of "BRT" to most people if these buses still end up sitting in traffic. Also great because this is part of the larger "hashtag BRT" plans and the RoW could be used by the future light rail as well. But I do like this idea of getting busses in dedicated RoW going sooner and we can work on the rail connections later.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:09 PM

Here's the Hashtag BRT map with both the Northside BRT route and this new one drawn on top to help illustrate how they're overlapping the proposed routes:

Old 01-19-2018, 06:25 PM

Hashtag BRT is all kinds of dumb. Seriously? Making plans because they look like a shape, and it's catchy and stuff?

West Paces Ferry @ 41 doesn't need a bus all the way down to Hapeville via Northside Dr and Metropolitan Pkwy. They just need a big MARTA parking lot, where they can park their BMW's and board a direct, express bus to Arts Center Station via I-75, utilizing a planned 15th St bridge and HOV exit. The train goes to MB stadium and to the airport and to everything else.

Now if you want to connect with a BRT on Northside Dr, via an intermediate stop in the I-75 median there (replacing the current HOV ramps), that would be cool.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:44 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,268,282 times
If I had to guess, creating two significant new north/south and two significant new east/west transit routes was the plan first, and then someone said "hey, that looks like a hash sign." But, whatever, this is the internet so don't let me stop you from complaining.

Old 01-19-2018, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Hashtag BRT is all kinds of dumb. Seriously? Making plans because they look like a shape, and it's catchy and stuff?
You have it backwards. The name was chosen because of the shape, not the shape because of the name.

Quote:
West Paces Ferry @ 41 doesn't need a bus all the way down to Hapeville via Northside Dr and Metropolitan Pkwy. They just need a big MARTA parking lot, where they can park their BMW's and board a direct, express bus to Arts Center Station via I-75, utilizing a planned 15th St bridge and HOV exit. The train goes to MB stadium and to the airport and to everything else.
And all the people in between? Routes aren't just about A -> B. These aren't airlines, they're transit routes. There are tons of stops in between. No, it's unlikely someone is going to ride from Cumberland all the way to Hapeville, but how many intermediate trips are there in between?

How many people going to the Delta headquarters? How many people going to Metropolitan College? Or going to Midtown? Or going to Cumberland?

It's not purely about A & B.

Quote:
Now if you want to connect with a BRT on Northside Dr, via an intermediate stop in the I-75 median there (replacing the current HOV ramps), that would be cool.
They probably won't do that, but the plan is to use the I-75 HOV lanes.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:03 PM

Duh, I know that. Obviously. What I'm saying is that now it's ingrained as "Hashtag BRT" (TM), and so you can't change it or improve it because then it wouldn't be "Hashtag BRT". Just not a great idea to focus on the fact, IMO. The fact that this particular plan sort of resembles a shape.

Anyway, ridership is about understanding demographics, and what people want in a given area. No, people in NW Buckhead aren't going to Metropolitan College, or the suburban drive-thru Burger King on Northside Dr. No. First of all they almost never ride transit, and when they do it's because they A) want to take the train to the airport, B) maybe access a job or something Downtown, C) maybe a pro sports game or major sporting event.

In general, IMO, the Buckhead I-75 corridor, and the area south of it all the way down to the rail yards, just simply want a good way to access the main N/S MARTA line, via either Arts Center, Lindbergh, or perhaps an infill Armour station. And really the only intermediate stops they would be interested in would be stuff like Howell Mill and Atlantic Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta