Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 07:12 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,270,705 times

Advertisements

... Ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 07:16 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,717,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Duh, I know that. Obviously. What I'm saying is that now it's ingrained as "Hashtag BRT" (TM), and so you can't change it or improve it because then it wouldn't be "Hashtag BRT". Just not a great idea to focus on the fact, IMO. The fact that this particular plan sort of resembles a shape.
I think you're unnecessarily upset by a visual pun. It's not that strong of a branding.

Quote:
Anyway, ridership is about understanding demographics, and what people want in a given area. No, people in NW Buckhead aren't going to Metropolitan College, or the suburban drive-thru Burger King on Northside Dr. No. First of all they almost never ride transit, and when they do it's because they A) want to take the train to the airport, B) maybe access a job or something Downtown, C) maybe a pro sports game or major sporting event.
No, people in Buckhead might not be going to Metropolitan College, but people in Pittsburgh or West End, or Vine City, or any number of locations along the route, and from transfers, might be. Just as those same people may be going to Cumberland to work.

There are more demographics to worry about other than those in Buckhead. There is an entire city out there needing service. It's about ballance, and serving as many needs as you can. You yourself say that they aren't likely to ride transit regularly, so why should they be a major consideration anyway?

They'll be able to do all those things you suggest, though it won't be as direct as they might like.

Quote:
In general, IMO, the Buckhead I-75 corridor, and the area south of it all the way down to the rail yards, just simply want a good way to access the main N/S MARTA line, via either Arts Center, Lindbergh, or perhaps an infill Armour station. And really the only intermediate stops they would be interested in would be stuff like Howell Mill and Atlantic Station.
Well, this BRT route offers access to the rail lines. It's not direct to the N/S lines, but it's there for those who want to take advantage of it.

If they truly want a more direct route, then they need to pressure their neighborhood leaders to bring the Peachtree Light Rail route back.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,331,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
There are more demographics to worry about other than those in Buckhead.
That's why I prefaced by saying specifically West Paces Ferry. Was what I was talking about with all of that. You must have missed that part.

In general I'm saying what's needed is a quality rapid transit line of some kind (even if it's a bus) along I-75 to Midtown. If not to Cumberland because Cobb County won't do it or whatever, then at least to West Paces Ferry if not Mt Paran.

And/or other possibility, as discussed in a recent thread somewhere, a light rail from Moores Mill @ Marietta Blvd, that would hook up to the NW Beltline and make use of that planned ROW for a more true LRT (fewer stops, longer trains, etc.) That they could go to a Lindbergh or an Armour.

And either of those would connect would surely have a stop at Northside Dr near the Beltline, that could connect with Northside Dr BRT that would go south thru the westside, and connect to the Beltline of course.

For the Northside Dr BRT to hang a left on I-75 to West Paces Ferry, I mean, I'm not against, but I just don't think it's really any useful to the residents of that area. It just looks good on a map at a glance, because it puts something finally in a transit-neglected area. But I'm just saying, it's not the right thing, that people really want, I bet. I bet it's just something Tim Keane thought would be good.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:45 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,973,332 times
Quote:
In general, IMO, the Buckhead I-75 corridor, and the area south of it all the way down to the rail yards, just simply want a good way to access the main N/S MARTA line, via either Arts Center, Lindbergh, or perhaps an infill Armour station. And really the only intermediate stops they would be interested in would be stuff like Howell Mill and Atlantic Station.
Oh look, the Northside Dr BRT is in close proximity to both those intermediate stops.
So wait, in another thread people are complaining the current buses are useless, get stuck in traffic, meandering routes, etc. But then MARTA proposes a BRT line for $50M that creates a high quality bus route and people still complain? Maybe the problem isn't MARTA, it could be you.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:10 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,388,602 times
Quote:
I think every road and street and every freeway and interstate around here should have bus-only lanes, and actually enforced as such. That could really transform the region.
Uhh, say what now? Pretty much impossible for every road and street to have bus-only lanes since the majority of our roads, even many of our arterials, are two-lane roads.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Uhh, say what now? Pretty much impossible for every road and street to have bus-only lanes since the majority of our roads, even many of our arterials, are two-lane roads.
I meant every major arterial road/expressway in the metro area that's at least 6 lanes, should have 2 of those (1 each direction), be for bus-only. With some exceptions, like ITP 400.

That would change the game for this region. Especially if combined with transit signal priority and other improvements. And perhaps trolley buses.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:58 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,388,602 times
Quote:
I meant every major arterial road/expressway in the metro area that's at least 6 lanes, should have 2 of those (1 each direction), be for bus-only. With some exceptions, like ITP 400.

That would change the game for this region. Especially if combined with transit signal priority and other improvements. And perhaps trolley buses.
I could get behind that. Very few 6-lane divided arterials though, so I'm not sure how much expansion that would yield. Note that north of the Brookwood split, there isn't even a single 4-lane east-west route.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:37 PM

The one I really care about, is ITP I-75.

If I were metropolitan transportation dictator, I would convert the HOV lane of ITP I-75 into a strictly transit-only ROW, with flex post barriers to enforce it. And frequent, express-shuttle MARTA buses would fly back and forth all day between the Galleria and Arts Center, via ramps at Akers Mill and the future 15th St bridge.

With only 2 intermediate stops/stations, built into the median of the freeway. Northside Dr would have one (in the space where the HOV ramps currently are), and West Paces Ferry, which would have to involve moving the northbound side over.

Then give it a name like "Cumberland Link", put it on the official MARTA map, and call it a day.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:32 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,717,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I thought TIGER grants were gone.
From the USDOT website:
Quote:
The Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2017 appropriated $500 million, available through September 30, 2020, for National Infrastructure Investments otherwise known as TIGER grants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta