Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 01:03 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to discuss panhandling a little bit.

I'd like to start with a question: How is the panhandling in Atlanta these days? Lately I've noticed when I'm downtown for events, the panhandlers tend to sit quietly with cups and signs. But I've only been down there when there are big events, not when things are quieter and you are more likely to get approached with a sob story. Since I don't go to bars and clubs anymore, I haven't been to midtown on a normal night in some time, but I remember the panhandling there was extremely aggressive.

I also wanted to share a thought on panhandling. I always viewed it as a massive priority affecting the city and one of the biggest explanations for why parts of downtown like Underground struggle. That may be a little bit of an extreme opinion, but panhandling is generally the number 1 or 2 thing tourists complain about.

A lot of people are of the thought that you get used to it, walk with a purpose and don't make eye contact and all that stuff. Maybe I'm not like other people, I don't know, but even after 8 years of living in the city and going out every weekend and facing panhandlers, you know what? I NEVER got used to it. It always bothered me. Sometimes it made me sad, other times angry, even a few times it made me scared (you never really know what mentally unstable people are going to do). I had a few really bad experiences with panhandlers, and was threatened a few times, but I was never actually assaulted, so that's good.

Anyway, I haven't really seen panhandling discussed, so I was just wondering if the situation has improved, people don't care anymore, or what. Did closing the Pine St. shelter have a positive impact on curbing panhandling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 02:01 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,365,054 times
It's a problem because some panhandlers don't accept no for an answer. There was a time I chose to say yes because I had planned on going out for drinks and said you know what...you're going out for drinks, why not say yes this time. He asked for cash and I told him I didn't have any. I told him I'd use my card. He questioned me again and this is when I started to become really annoyed...he asked can't I use my card to get cash. I told him no and that I don't have to have a pin to use my card. I went to a gas station and stood at the door. Why is it he has this upset look on his face as if he wanted to go somewhere else to eat. Anyway, long story short, he was rude to the cashier and I said from that, never again. I can't believe a panhandler, a beggar, could be so ungrateful. I thought beggars can't be choosers but obviously some of the panhandlers here are very demanding and I would argue that if the person they are dealing with isn't firm or looks like a pushover, they could even be aggressive.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:04 PM

To answer your question, in my experience, it's bad. The guy that I just talked about wasn't exactly near to the shelter but it was pretty close as it was near the Publix on Piedmont and North Ave.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:27 PM

766 posts, read 507,682 times
Get use to it, honestly.

Its a problem in every major city. New York, San Fran, LA, Seattle.

Tourist still visit those same cities, its city life.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:49 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
I sure am glad the medical community doesn't share your attitude.

"Get used to polio, small pox and the plague. Disease is a problem with every species, it's part of life."

Big problems aren't worth solving.

Last edited by ATLTJL; 05-21-2018 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 PM

47 posts, read 35,970 times
"No, sorry" has never steered me wrong.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:54 PM

815 posts, read 708,491 times
I work near the Capitol and the big change I've noticed is you don't have hordes of panhandlers anymore in and around the Capitol. They seem to have been shifted elsewhere/changed their tactics since the big crackdown on panhandling in this area. When I'm walking down the street near my job, they mostly seem to be walking trying to engage people in conversation instead of standing in one spot soliciting. I also don't see the same folks from day to day.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:36 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
I usually keep a can of food in the car to hand out , no money .

Old 05-21-2018, 03:50 PM

Some of the panhandlers are like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBUbJhFmTPc

Last edited by DreamerD; 05-21-2018 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: swear word

Old 05-21-2018, 04:15 PM

821 posts, read 726,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I usually keep a can of food in the car to hand out , no money .
This is brilliant. I used to work at QT during college. Most of those that asked for money came in a few minutes later and re-stocked on booze and cigs. Usually if you give them money they will just stay at that spot and won’t go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: