Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 01:31 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,259,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No but there was Chattahoochee Plantation, which was incorporated as a 10' wall to keep Atlanta from annexing Cobb County.
https://www.wabe.org/how-atlanta-was...oot-wide-city/
But Chattahoochee Plantation never even bordered Atlanta! It was in East Cobb. That OTP area bordered what is now City of Sandy Springs.

People always mention the ex-city Chattahoochee Plantation but seems like don't even know what they are really even talking about. See that's what I'm saying. It's just these stupid kneejerk responses all the time.

SANDY SPRINGS was the most anti-Atlanta area. EVER. They are in Fulton County. Atlanta could never expand northwards at all, even inside its own county into unincorporated areas with Atlanta address, because of Sandy Springs dogged opposition to it.

Had they have ever successfully incorporated Sandy Springs, then maybe that whole Chattahoochee Plantation thing hypothetically could have come into play, but even that is really doubtful. Sandy Springs (which was at the time unincorporated) was in the same county as Atlanta and already had an Atlanta address. And had more economy and corporate high-rises and stuff, and Northside Hospital and all that.

Whereas across the river was a different county, not as much lucrative retail or commercial or corporate (in that East Cobb area), and with a Marietta address. Wouldn't really have made as much sense. The citizens of that area were paranoid about it, yes, and that's why they made that city, but they didn't keep Atlanta out, as everyone always says or insinuates. Atlanta was never interested in annexing Cobb, especially OTP Cobb.

The area of Cobb that does directly border Atlanta (the Vinings/ Cumberland area), has never incorporated. Has never fought against Atlanta annexation. There has been really no talk at all about it, from either party. I think people are happy with where the city border is. It's at least pretty logical in this area.

Quit being pathetic and intellectually lazy about this topic, everyone. That's all I'm saying. Quit generalizing and quit it with these lame stereotypes. It's just stupid. Cobb is not anti-Atlanta, Atlanta is not anti-Cobb, the 2 are friends and neighbors. Despite the few lame haters always trying to stir up nonsense.

Atlanta city has its issues too. Terrible freaking mayor, corruption, and lots of crime in certain areas. Don't be acting like any area of this metro is perfect or without its flaws. But despite flaws, I still love all parts of this metro, ITP, OTP, for what they are and what they have to offer. Anyone who says Cobb residents wall out or reject Atlanta is ignorant. Come actually talk to us. Talk to regular people on the ground.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:34 PM

Atlanta proper also has high taxes. Property and sales and everything else.

I'm glad for the generally lower taxes in Cobb, but we just need to figure out how to balance the budget in this county.

I think these things will get sorted out.

Old 06-07-2018, 01:37 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,456 times
WHEW!!! This is getting ugly

I purchased my place in Cobb about 3 months after moving to Atlanta, without the benefit of the inter-county hating and/or the whole ITP vs OTP thing. I chose my place due to proximity to work (Perimeter), play (CoA) and travel (Hartsfield-Jackson). Two minute drive to 75 or 285, another 12 mins to Midtown and 30 minutes to the airport...couldn't beat that. Lower taxes, plenty of amenities either short drive (decent walk) from me and now a Major League team and there $600M mixed use complex in walking distance as well. I am still happy about my decision 8 years later.

Can we all have a kumbaya moment, and stop bashing each other...and in the immortal words of Rodney King (RIP) - "OUCH"

Old 06-07-2018, 01:59 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
But Chattahoochee Plantation never even bordered Atlanta! It was in East Cobb. That OTP area bordered what is now City of Sandy Springs.

People always mention the ex-city Chattahoochee Plantation but seems like don't even know what they are really even talking about. See that's what I'm saying. It's just these stupid kneejerk responses all the time.

SANDY SPRINGS was the most anti-Atlanta area. EVER. They are in Fulton County. Atlanta could never expand northwards at all, even inside its own county into unincorporated areas with Atlanta address, because of Sandy Springs dogged opposition to it.

Had they have ever successfully incorporated Sandy Springs, then maybe that whole Chattahoochee Plantation thing hypothetically could have come into play, but even that is really doubtful. Sandy Springs (which was at the time unincorporated) was in the same county as Atlanta and already had an Atlanta address. And had more economy and corporate high-rises and stuff, and Northside Hospital and all that.

Whereas across the river was a different county, not as much lucrative retail or commercial or corporate (in that East Cobb area), and with a Marietta address. Wouldn't really have made as much sense. The citizens of that area were paranoid about it, yes, and that's why they made that city, but they didn't keep Atlanta out, as everyone always says or insinuates. Atlanta was never interested in annexing Cobb, especially OTP Cobb.

The area of Cobb that does directly border Atlanta (the Vinings/ Cumberland area), has never incorporated. Has never fought against Atlanta annexation. There has been really no talk at all about it, from either party. I think people are happy with where the city border is. It's at least pretty logical in this area.

Quit being pathetic and intellectually lazy about this topic, everyone. That's all I'm saying. Quit generalizing and quit it with these lame stereotypes. It's just stupid. Cobb is not anti-Atlanta, Atlanta is not anti-Cobb, the 2 are friends and neighbors. Despite the few lame haters always trying to stir up nonsense.

Atlanta city has its issues too. Terrible freaking mayor, corruption, and lots of crime in certain areas. Don't be acting like any area of this metro is perfect or without its flaws. But despite flaws, I still love all parts of this metro, ITP, OTP, for what they are and what they have to offer. Anyone who says Cobb residents wall out or reject Atlanta is ignorant. Come actually talk to us. Talk to regular people on the ground.
I see you failed to read the WABE article, a reputable source.
Quote:
Not only was there once a city in this part of East Cobb (an area that’s all unincorporated today), but it was one that was once 30 or so miles long. It spanned Cobb County’s entire border with the Chattahoochee River, all the way up to where the county meets Roswell and back down to where Six Flags is today.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,100,661 times
Quote:
Where do I even start with this drivel.

Cobb is a county of 750,000 individuals. Regular, diverse normal people who are the same as all the people in the other metro counties, with the same wide range of individual viewpoints and lifestyles and politics. There is no wall on the border, and never has been. I cross between Cobb and Fulton every single day. And guess what, when I get to Fulton it's the exact same level of suburban, car-oriented design. Nothing changes at the river.

The reason for the totally fake "ATL vs Cobb" or whatever, and people trashing Cobb, are because people are idiots who have no idea what the heck they are talking about. They just got this simplistic idea in their head, then decided to stick with it forever, instead of actually bother to learn things and grow.
Nice, you want to start name calling. I'll let you cook on that one though. I'll just say this, you can disagree with my opinion all you want, but don't say anything to me over the internet that you wouldn't say to me face to face. Straight up. My posts speak for themselves, I know this city very well, better than most, when I come on here and give my 2 cents, I'm not just talking out of my @ss.

And you can dismiss it as drivel all you want, I grew up in the city, in an area that borders Cobb County. I have 30+ years of everything from hearing smart aleck comments to being harassed by police in Cobb, one cop even verbatim told me to stay the **** out of Cobb at night. This dude basically just told me Cobb was a sundown town, and we're talking early-mid 2000's America, not the 60's. I remember on here when that thread was popping about police issues in Cobb and I shared my experiences. I was legit thinking I was going to be the outlier in that thread, and lo and behold quite a few other people had similar stories. I was shocked, I'll never forget that. You can ignore, dismiss it all you want. There is something there, if you ask me there is a systematic effort in Cobb to make certain people feel unwelcome. And that effort has worked, because you can feel it almost out there.

And I'm well aware about Cobb getting more diverse, but that diverse group of folks you speak of still dont run the county, Lisa Cupid is the sole voice for anyone not a good ol boy in Cobb and they had unmarked task force cars following her around like she was a drug dealer with dope in the trunk. That's how they do County Commissioners who don't fall in line, one of the most visible positions in the county. Not too much of stretch to say that the same attitude trickles down in their dealings with normal people on a day to day basis.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post

OldschoolChevy, you said that Kennesaw is rachet but at least KSU students don't have to worry about getting mugged like GSU/GA Tech students have to worry. Any student will tell you they get constant e-mails about this person's phone getting snatched, this person being held up by gun, this person getting assaulted, etc. To me, that's some ratchet ****. When downtown, I'm always having to observe my surroundings and I noticed after your "walk with a purpose" posts, it was something I was doing all along but I just never thought of it.

The difference is that I'll admit that anything touches a not so nice area in NW will have a penchant for robbery. I'll tell anyone who will listen that this is a robbing and thieving @ss town. This aint Baltimore, but there are some folks here who excel at taking things that don't belong to them. I know my city, that's what we're working with in terms of the foolishness, I accept it and move accordingly. I'm from an Atlanta that had double the murder rate than now, with less population in the city limits. I've never said Atlanta was safe on here. I'm just simply calling out some other areas that aren't as safe as some would like to portray them to be.

Suspects arrested and charged with murder in connection to Kenne - CBS46 News

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...SrB66r5vNPkbK/

https://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...jtZusxUQedVsK/

I'm not sounding the alarm like it's the second coming of Eastlake Meadows out there, but at the same time lets be real for a second. That's a suburb, even that level of crime is not normal, especially on the northern end of the metro. Everyone likes to use places like Chicago and Detroit as the poster child of crime in America, but most of their suburbs are far and away safer than ours. You google crime in Bloomfield Hills MI and the only thing you'll get is stuff about Jimmy Hoffa from way back then. I just did a quick search and found more than one story from just the last 6 months.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:

No, Chattahoochee Plantation spanned the entire length of the border with the city, you're the loudest voice in here saying others don't know what they're talking about, but you can't even get your facts straight.

I'm old enough to remember when they revoked their city charter back around the Olympics, where were you back then? I remember my teacher at that time even mentioning that everything from the city being a 10 foot wide invisible wall to the name itself 'Plantation' being a not so subtle racist message to Atlanta. You're riding hard for Cobb, but I don't think you grew up in the area. Stuff like the pointless ghost city is just a slice a of what folks like me grew up seeing in regards to Cobb. And you really act surprised that folks like me don't like it?

Old 06-07-2018, 02:50 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolChevy View Post
No, Chattahoochee Plantation spanned the entire length of the border with the city, you're the loudest voice in here saying others don't know what they're talking about, but you can't even get your facts straight.

I'm old enough to remember when they revoked their city charter back around the Olympics, where were you back then? I remember my teacher at that time even mentioning that everything from the city being a 10 foot wide invisible wall to the name itself 'Plantation' being a not so subtle racist message to Atlanta. You're riding hard for Cobb, but I don't think you grew up in the area. Stuff like the pointless ghost city is just a slice a of what folks like me grew up seeing in regards to Cobb. And you really act surprised that folks like me don't like it?

Old 06-07-2018, 02:57 PM

Lived in Smyrna (off Spring Rd) until I was 6, then came back often to visit grandparents while my family lived in Lilburn. Watched the area grow up.

Lived in Vinings for the last 2 years and change.

I'm not going to apologize for defending the area where I reside and that I call home. You have to take pride in where you live and defend it when people make generalizations.

Old 06-07-2018, 03:01 PM

I don't know how accurate this map is, but according to this, Chattahoochee Plantation only bordered one little part of OTP Sandy Springs:

Not sure where they get Six Flags from that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta