Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2024, 07:41 AM

6,562 posts, read 12,061,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberrysaus View Post
The DART system was built along existing rail corridors which saved on right of way costs, but also meant that they don't actually serve the parts of the city that they go through particularly well.

The entire system also converges on what's essentially a streetcar line through downtown Dallas, which acts as a major chokepoint and limits the frequency of every line.

Finally, Dallas already has an extensive and growing freeway network that makes driving just too convenient.

All of these combined makes DART, although extensive, a rather poorly laid out system - and the ridership shows it.
Unfortunately Atlanta doesn't have that neither.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 08:09 AM

281 posts, read 169,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Unfortunately Atlanta doesn't have that neither.

MARTA has half the mileage of DART but roughly double the ridership. Several MARTA lines do fall into the same trap of following existing railroad ROW, but what they did get right was tunneling through Downtown and Midtown, and using the 400 ROW to get to Dunwoody/Sandy Springs.

Yes MARTA doesn't have the extensive highway network Dallas does, but that also works to the benefit of making MARTA useful for some trips around town. And if you look at the once laid out plans to carve highways through East Atlanta, it saved us from destroying some of the most treasured neighborhoods Atlanta has today.

Old 04-01-2024, 09:32 AM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Saw this article when looking at the Centennial Yards thread link.
https://atlanta.urbanize.city/post/f...announces-city
"...Five potential infill station locations pinpointed by the More MARTA transit expansion program that didn’t receive funding, as the newspaper points out, were at Murphy Crossing; near Armour Yards in Buckhead; near the Krog Street Tunnel; between Ashby and Bankhead stations; another between Inman Park/Old Fourth Ward and the King Memorial station; and in Mechanicsville near McDaniel Street..."
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
1. Murphy Crossing
2. Armour
3. Krog Street/Cabbagetown

4. Possibilities
a. Miami Circle
b. Boone
c. Mechanicsville
d. Ashford Park
e. Kirkwood
f. Peachtree Pointe
g. Avondale Estates

The more I think about it, I think the four new stations will be the four areas where MARTA rail meets the Beltline:

1. Murphy Crossing

2. Armour

3. Krog Street

4. Boone

Old 04-11-2024, 02:22 PM

6,562 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
The more I think about it, I think the four new stations will be the four areas where MARTA rail meets the Beltline:

1. Murphy Crossing

2. Armour

3. Krog Street

4. Boone
Mayor Dickens just annouced it and those four are where they are going.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...J26J56G3YJJ7I/

Old 04-11-2024, 03:26 PM

1,376 posts, read 929,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Mayor Dickens just annouced it and those four are where they are going.

https://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta-new...J26J56G3YJJ7I/
When Atlanta Mayor Andre Dickens announced in March he intended to build four new infill MARTA stations, the news came without naming where a majority of them would be placed around the city.

Residents only knew of one determined location at the Murphy Crossing development along the Beltline’s Westside Trail, marking the first time that the popular mixed-use trail loop would be connected to heavy rail.

On Thursday, the mayor announced the remaining three locations: Krog Street/Hulsey Yard, Joseph E. Boone and Armour Yards. The announcement came through an administrative order outlining the ambitious partnership between the city, Atlanta Beltline Inc. and MARTA.

“Our city’s transportation landscape is dynamic, mirroring the diverse growth and evolution of Atlanta’s neighborhoods. Both legacy and emerging communities have immediate transportation needs that deserve effective solutions,” Dickens said in a statement.

“It is imperative that our transportation investments are strategically and equitably deployed to increase ridership on MARTA’s heavy rail network and bus system fostering a more connected and unified Atlanta,” he said.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:07 AM

15 posts, read 4,233 times
More money for studies and nothing will ever be built, but hey, it sounds good.

Old 04-12-2024, 08:42 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC251 View Post
More money for studies and nothing will ever be built, but hey, it sounds good.
I beg to differ. If they get cracking there is no reason some of these stations can't be up and running by 2075ish.

Old 04-12-2024, 12:48 PM

15 posts, read 4,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I beg to differ. If they get cracking there is no reason some of these stations can't be up and running by 2075ish.
That would be a miracle honestly.

Truth be told though, they are finally figuring it out. People are always so obsessed with Cobb, Gwinnett, etc. The expansion needs to be ten fold internal. Expand where the people live, where they want it, make it useful for almost everyone that lives from Sandy Springs to downtown, and bankhead to Emory. More internal stations, Clifton corridor, and the beltline.

I live in Cobb, I would happily pay the one cent sales tax even if it never expanded here.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:24 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC251 View Post
That would be a miracle honestly.
It's doable. Granted, we may not see all four stations open in a mere half century but it's not unrealistic to think there might be one more.

Personally, I'd like to see them at least get a preliminary pre-study advisory committee underway by the end of this decade and then roll out a meta beta website within 5-10 years after that. That would provide some deliverables for future scoping studies.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:38 AM

498 posts, read 293,852 times
Takes time to build things. I'm glad the city is supportive of this now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta