Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 11:22 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times

Advertisements

To me, a great skyline is comprised of density, height, and landscape. I think we have decent height, however the visual density of our skyline is lacking somewhat. That's me being picky because I'm a skyline nerd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 12:41 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Seems to me the focus on building really tall buildings has shifted to Asia and the Middle East.

Here in the ATL we build out, not just up.

Old 09-13-2018, 01:50 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Default Skyscrapers in the Atl...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
To me, a great skyline is comprised of density, height, and landscape. I think we have decent height, however the visual density of our skyline is lacking somewhat. That's me being picky because I'm a skyline nerd.

Greetings to you from one "Skyline nerd" to another!
We do lack some visual density in Atlanta that one would assume we'd have if only taking into account the sheer number of tall & or medium height skyscrapers found here.
While not wanting to start a city vs. city type of debate here, by comparison consider Minneapolis, a city with a very impressive skyline but which has a far smaller number of tall & or medium height towers than are found here in Atlanta. Despite the smaller number of towers there, nevertheless the Minneapolis skyline is quite impressive because of the compact bunching & concentration of it's towers together in the C.B.D. of that city. Another city with a very similar compact bunching skyline of note is Pittsburgh.
While still working, I had a 3 decades plus time frame at my final job in which to look out of our company north-facing windows at our Midtown office. Over the course of that long period of time, I witnessed the huge explosion of towers that multiplied along the ridge of Peachtree Street in lower Buckhead & the concurrent explosion of the central Buckhead skyline.
While driving on the Downtown Connector northbound near the Grady Curve, when one puts together the spread out linear development seen from there in the C.B.D. on up into Midtown (generally found along the Peachtree corridor) & then combines it with the aforementioned lower and central Buckhead skylines, it's readily apparent that we have a very decentralized skyline but nevertheless one of note.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:48 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Kind of seems odd to me that a city that prides itself about being on the move as much as Atlanta still has a highest building that is more than a quarter century old.

Looks like we're not quite alone in that, but that doesn't mean we can't do better.

Look at that chart. Most of the high rises now are going up in NYC. Everybody else has slowed down. LA has a decent amount in the last decade along with Miami's condos, but high rise office construction is significantly slowed. Smaller buildings make more financial sense in most places.

Old 09-13-2018, 06:54 PM
bu2

24,101 posts, read 14,885,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
A great response you have there based on actual skyscrapers stats & facts, autolycus...
Until very recently, Atlanta was exactly in the same category as was LA in terms of how long it's tallest (barely over 1,000') skyscraper reigned as it's tallest.
And San Francisco's Transamerica Pyramid until very recently held the title as that city's tallest since the late 1970's.
The upshot being that I feel that Atlanta has nothing to feel anxious about as we've been in good company.
Being a skyscraper data hobbyist of longstanding, I used to sort of "worry" for lack of a better term, over the fact that Atlanta had nothing in the works to topple the BOA Tower from it's now quarter of a century standing as the tallest tower in the city.
Nowadays that's not so much of a concern of mine given that more practical matters, such as demand in the office market for space & the supporting city infrastructure are now important realities that influence my views on the subject.
Dallas and Houston have been the fastest growing major metros over the last 10-15 years. Dallas has 16 (#7) and its highest was built in 1985. Houston has slipped behind LA to #5, but still has 26 and its highest was built in 1981. Few companies need a trophy tower. Tech companies seem particularly averse. Amazon has its campus with what, 30 buildings?

Old 09-13-2018, 08:11 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I think we could make the skyline that we do have a lot more interesting/impressive by getting more creative about how we light it at night. Especially for special occasions like the holidays.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:26 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Look at that chart. Most of the high rises now are going up in NYC. Everybody else has slowed down. LA has a decent amount in the last decade along with Miami's condos, but high rise office construction is significantly slowed. Smaller buildings make more financial sense in most places.
Chicago has not slowed down either.....

Currently 49 under construction in Chicago. A couple supertalls 90+ stories and 80 and 70 and 60 stories

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/high...nstruction-map

Big business and investors .... still see this northern city relevant and prestige with a continuing high-rise living population as most are residential and hotel and residential towers.

So far it hasn't slowed in a boom period last few years.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:49 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,103,982 times
Midtown is doing fine

but Honestly Downtown needs like 3 more talls

Old 09-14-2018, 05:33 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Greetings to you from one "Skyline nerd" to another!
We do lack some visual density in Atlanta that one would assume we'd have if only taking into account the sheer number of tall & or medium height skyscrapers found here.
While not wanting to start a city vs. city type of debate here, by comparison consider Minneapolis, a city with a very impressive skyline but which has a far smaller number of tall & or medium height towers than are found here in Atlanta. Despite the smaller number of towers there, nevertheless the Minneapolis skyline is quite impressive because of the compact bunching & concentration of it's towers together in the C.B.D. of that city. Another city with a very similar compact bunching skyline of note is Pittsburgh.
While still working, I had a 3 decades plus time frame at my final job in which to look out of our company north-facing windows at our Midtown office. Over the course of that long period of time, I witnessed the huge explosion of towers that multiplied along the ridge of Peachtree Street in lower Buckhead & the concurrent explosion of the central Buckhead skyline.
While driving on the Downtown Connector northbound near the Grady Curve, when one puts together the spread out linear development seen from there in the C.B.D. on up into Midtown (generally found along the Peachtree corridor) & then combines it with the aforementioned lower and central Buckhead skylines, it's readily apparent that we have a very decentralized skyline but nevertheless one of note.
You are completely accurate in your assessment, I used to work in downtown Minneapolis, and I loved their skyline (due to the density/clustering), but always noted how they didn't score as high as one would think, while spread out skylines like LA always performed well despite the lack of density.

Old 09-14-2018, 05:33 AM

1,383 posts, read 1,561,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Midtown is doing finebut Honestly Downtown needs like 3 more talls
Meanwhile, we've got an active thread lamenting Atlanta turning into a Manhattan-style concrete jungle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta