Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 01:08 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'd be curious in what way(s) Marta is better than the DC Metro. Having used both extensively, I find that absurd.

Metro has far more stations, far more destinations near the stations, and more lines going to each destination.

Granted, Metro has been having some maintenance issues lately that have caused temporary problems, but as a system, Marta is nowhere close.
It doesn't kill you

Old 01-30-2019, 01:17 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdbass View Post
It is great using for the airport as the Marta station is right next to check-in.
MARTA is on the opposite end of the building from checkin, unless you're taking Delta, or unless they've changed that end since I've last been down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Until you run into a Snowpocalypse or I-85 bridge collapse that paralyzes the local road/freeway network.
If you want to use one-off scenarios that happen once every few years or once in lifetime, you're grasping desperately. Saying you don't drive because of Snowpocalypse would mean that you choose not to drive because of something that happens literally 0.1% of the time. The thought of snow does not even calculate into my reasons for driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
L5P is a ten minute walk to the nearest station. Your L5P friend sounds like someone who just doesn't like public transit.
A ten minute walk back and forth every day is quite substantial. That's half of my total 12.5-mile driving commute, just to reach the station. I mean, that's 83 hours a year just to get to and from the station for a single daily commute, with two weeks off per year. Stats are thrown around all the time about how the average car commuter wastes "a day and a half a year in congestion". CityLab states that the peak time spent in congestion in Atlanta is 70 hours. That's less than a daily ten-minute round-trip walk to and from a station.

Of course, they never detail how each hour in congestion costs $31.60, although most of it is attributed to "lost productivity". I'm sure that walk back and forth is some very productive time.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
MARTA is on the opposite end of the building from checkin, unless you're taking Delta, or unless they've changed that end since I've last been down there.
Oh the humanity of having to walk across the domestic terminal, or better yet it's the 21st century and we have mobile check in, 24 hours in advance

Quote:
A ten minute walk back and forth every day is quite substantial. That's half of my total 12.5-mile driving commute, just to reach the station. I mean, that's 83 hours a year just to get to and from the station for a single daily commute, with two weeks off per year. Stats are thrown around all the time about how the average car commuter wastes "a day and a half a year in congestion". CityLab states that the peak time spent in congestion in Atlanta is 70 hours. That's less than a daily ten-minute round-trip walk to and from a station.
Just think of the free, exercise you get and how much money you could save by not having to drive to the gym or buy expensive at-home workout equipment that turns into an expensive clothes hanger.
Quote:
Of course, they never detail how each hour in congestion costs $31.60, although most of it is attributed to "lost productivity". I'm sure that walk back and forth is some very productive time.
MARTA trains and buses offer free wifi to make the commute productive, unlike driving where drivers are required by law to be hands free.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:56 PM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Re: the original post: I haven't heard anyone use that phrase in at least 20 years.

MARTA is fine. And Chamblee is a fantastic location.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:24 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Chamblee is a happening place.

And as everyone else has said, MARTA is very safe. They have their own police force and those guys do not mess around.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:17 PM

272 posts, read 271,902 times
The problem with Atlanta is the combination of how little coverage Marta and how bad the car experience is as a frequent fallback.

Old 01-31-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Chamblee is a happening place.

And as everyone else has said, MARTA is very safe. They have their own police force and those guys do not mess around.
One of the largest and most highly certified in the state of Georgia.
https://www.itsmarta.com/police-overview.aspx

Old 01-31-2019, 03:11 PM

221 posts, read 190,010 times
People understate the role that climate has in this discussion. Walking 15 minutes in the humid GA heat is no bueno, no one wants to arrive at work in the morning drenched in their own sweat.

Old 01-31-2019, 03:53 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoxdiamond View Post
People understate the role that climate has in this discussion. Walking 15 minutes in the humid GA heat is no bueno, no one wants to arrive at work in the morning drenched in their own sweat.

Yeah, walking across open parking lots is terrible. I don't know how drivers deal with it during the summer. I love being able to take the train straight into the airport terminal or into Peachtree Center and connect to many buildings downtown via the sky bridges. During DragonCon it is especially a nice choice so you don't have to go outside in costume in the heat!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:02 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
I just wanted to point out there are probably people in every city who are choosing to go carless. I bet you can go to Omaha, Nebraska's forum and find people doing the same thing.

It's a valid choice. Perhaps even noble.

The fact remains, however, that this is an extremely tiny minority in Atlanta. We happen to have a very vocal minority represented on this board who love to continuously rationalize their choice and even vilify those who have not made it.

But make no mistake: Loud though they may be, it's a very niche subset of our population. Arguing with them is quite fruitless. If you want to buy into their hype, feel free. Realize, however, it's just that: hype. Atlanta is a car town. That ain't gonna change anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta