Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times

Advertisements

Our family has lived in East Cobb for a few years and are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with swim and tennis. I’m a Midwesterner and am pretty astounded by the level of snobiness I’ve encountered since living here. Not in terms of snobiness of appreciating and liking nice things (which I do, whereas my husband makes a very good living and we live in a nice area), but in terms of people not being friendly, authentic and acting like they are better than everyone else. I have lived in other very affluent areas outside of Georgia and have never come across such a degree of snobiness. We were told to buy in East Cobb because of the schools, which is understandable, but are there areas or neighborhoods that are not as snobby? We want a good family neighborhood where we can raise our kids and get to know other families. Are areas in Roswell or Alpharetta better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:02 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancof View Post
Our family has lived in East Cobb for a few years and are looking for a family friendly neighborhood with swim and tennis. I’m a Midwesterner and am pretty astounded by the level of snobiness I’ve encountered since living here. Not in terms of snobiness of appreciating and liking nice things (which I do, whereas my husband makes a very good living and we live in a nice area), but in terms of people not being friendly, authentic and acting like they are better than everyone else. I have lived in other very affluent areas outside of Georgia and have never come across such a degree of snobiness. We were told to buy in East Cobb because of the schools, which is understandable, but are there areas or neighborhoods that are not as snobby? We want a good family neighborhood where we can raise our kids and get to know other families. Are areas in Roswell or Alpharetta better?
They don't call it East Snobb for nothing

Old 05-16-2019, 08:06 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,261,099 times
North Fulton is even more snobby. They drive Ferraris around in Alpharetta, it's elitist up there.

The most down-to-earth portions of East Cobb are probably going to be on the western edge as you approach Marietta and Powers Ferry, and the northern parts north of Sandy Plains where things start to get more normal and less country club.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:11 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
They don't call it East Snobb for nothing
I don't know when or from where East Cobb earned this reputation. In 30 years, I can't recall ever meeting a pretentious East Cobber. Buckhead, Morningside or Virginia-Highland, yes, but never East Cobb.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,120,315 times
I lived in East Cobb for 18 years and never found it to be any more snobby than most affluent upper-middle-class suburbs.

Old 05-16-2019, 08:23 AM

23,461 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
I lived in East Cobb for 18 years and never found it to be any more snobby than most affluent upper-middle-class suburbs.
It is my opinion that the perception of an entire community as 'snobby' is a projection of one's own social insecurities, anyway.
No shortage of that in the Northern Arc.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:13 AM

10,350 posts, read 8,567,170 times
I moved here three years ago to east Cobb. I have found people to be quite friendly and polite. I think in any middle class area on up you will encounter some snobby people, but my experience has been very pleasant.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:55 AM

356 posts, read 316,870 times
Same here. Been in East Cobb 3 years, haven’t seen the snobbery.

Jackson’s Creek is laid back and friendly and proud of it. I’m sure there are plenty of others. No offense, Internet stranger, but I can’t help wonder if your issues are emanating from within rather than from your neighbors. Maybe grab a cold one at Suburban Tap and meet some chill east Cobb folks?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:10 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,994,643 times
I'm from Buckhead and definitely encountered a few East Cobb snobs growing up. Yes, it's a real thing and probably hasn't changed. The Marietta Square area would be my choice if trying to find a more authentic community. The schools aren't as highly rated, but if your goal is to avoid the East Cobb snobs, then you may find the Marietta City Schools fit the bill for you.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlJan View Post
I grew up in Buckhead and in middle and high school sports and activities around the city, there was a clique of East Cobb girls who were the snobbiest of all--it took us private school girls by surprise, but they really had attitude back then and I'm sure nothing's changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta