Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 07:16 AM

113 posts, read 92,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
Forsyth County also has the lowest property taxes at about $1 per thousand while Fulton is about 1.35 per thousand. On a 450k home Forsyth is $4500 a year, & in Fulton the same house in Fulton is $6k a year.

South Forsyth also has some of the best schools in the state. If you want a conservative but steady return on housing values then check out South Forsyth.
Thank you, Bellhead. That's a significant difference in property taxes. Helpful to a couple retiring early, so not getting full pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 07:17 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Exactly - city boundaries can extend into another county. As you aren’t focused on schools you can find a better value (with lower property taxes) if you’re not in Fulton County.
In the case of "Alpharetta-in-Forsyth," it's the ZIP code name, not the actually city limits, that cross the line.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:20 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
In the case of "Alpharetta-in-Forsyth," it's the ZIP code name, not the actually city limits, that cross the line.
Fair point.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Exactly - city boundaries can extend into another county. As you aren’t focused on schools you can find a better value (with lower property taxes) if you’re not in Fulton County.
Great to know. Thank you.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Its very different and nothing like some of the segregation of neighborhoods seen up North and the Midwest. You may have large communities of Koreans ,Indians,blacks but usually thats not the norm over all.
Some more than others and of course the wealthier the neighborhood more than likely more white but even then you have several wealthy black communities that are also predominately black which is not often found in many cities.
Out of those you mentioned I would pick Marietta ,Smyrna, Lawrenceville and add Tucker,Nocross. Downtown Decatur(specifically downtown Decatur and not further out).
On the South of Atlanta its far less populated and less traffic with similar amenities and cheaper cost Newnan, Fayettevile, Peachtree City and closer to the city I would suggest Downtown College Park
Thank you CleverOne for your feedback and suggestions. Although, I like that South of Atlanta is close to Atlanta and less of a commuting nightmare, I have steered away from it due to Clayton County. I've often heard that Clayton is unsafe and the crime spills over to adjacent counties.

I really like the City of Decatur (30030) and Druid Hills, but it's out-of-budget (3-4 bedrooms, updated single family home under $450,000). I will add Norcross and Tucker to check out.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Forsyth County is not what it used to. For one there is an incredibly large Indian population. I have a close friend from Senegal and he has lived there for about 16 years .Im African American and I would live there but imo there are better cheaper and closer options to the city.

It maybe not what you are looking for but you might love this community called Serenbe accept I dont know if its very diverse due to cost but people there tend to be closer to left leaning.
https://serenbe.com/
CleverOne, the more I learn, the more I evolve. This forum helps me to consider areas that I knew little about or areas that simply weren't on my radar. I will definitely look up Serenbe. Thank you. Sorry, if this is too personal, but I was wondering if you'd share where you live (wondering if it is one of the more affordable options closer to the city). I would like to stay under $450,000, my husband is shooting for under $400, 000. :-)

Old 06-18-2020, 08:06 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,143,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTS View Post
Markjames68, now that explains why I saw some Alpharetta addresses listed as Forsyth County. It's like some Atlanta addresses are in Dekalb County.
Don't some Roswell addresses actually reside in Cobb?

Old 06-18-2020, 08:09 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Don't some Roswell addresses actually reside in Cobb?
Yes, in extreme NE Cobb (the 30075 ZIP code covers this area).

Old 06-18-2020, 08:13 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTS View Post
Thank you CleverOne for your feedback and suggestions. Although, I like that South of Atlanta is close to Atlanta and less of a commuting nightmare, I have steered away from it due to Clayton County. I've often heard that Clayton is unsafe and the crime spills over to adjacent counties.

I really like the City of Decatur (30030) and Druid Hills, but it's out-of-budget (3-4 bedrooms, updated single family home under $450,000). I will add Norcross and Tucker to check out.
Clayton is not the safest but hardly dangerous or a place you should avoid.To be honest ,its majority minority county and anytime you have that crime gets vastly over blown.I honestly think you would be selling your self short listening to people who only repeat what they hear.
I mean Fulton and Dekalb have higher crime rates so does that mean you wont move anywhere near those counties as well?LOL

I live in Clayton County and this is not true.Clayton is like Fulton or Dekalb,You have nice and bad.

I like living in Clayton. It wouldn't be my first choice but its affordable and there are some great neighborhoods like some bad ones. The house I live in was my family home as a teenager. My parents gave it to me when the moved to retire in Middle GA where I am originally from.
My neighborhood is safe diverse and with well maintained upper middle class houses.

Check out this neighborhood in Clayton near me.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/El...!4d-84.2595618

Fayette County is one of the wealthiest Counties in the state and is home to Pinewood Studios where theyr are building this massive luxury development
Quote:
Fayette County residents have the highest net worth in the state of Georgia, according to a study from SmartAsset.

To find the places in the United States with the highest net worth, SmartAsset said it calculated the ratio of net worth to per capita income for every county, along with other data averages.

Fayette County came in at the top spot, posting an average income of $35,987, debt of $54,646, net worth of $79,438 and a net worth as a percentage of income of 220.7 percent. It also posted a net worth as a percentage of debt figure of 145.4 percent. Its highest net worth index was 49.75.
https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...20in%20at%20No.

https://www.treehugger.com/pinewood-...tlanta-4867613

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

Old 06-18-2020, 08:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,029,416 times
Pinewood Forest is worth exploring.Its being built as we speak but the amenities you will get for money anywhere else in the metro is unheard of(for the price point you are searching for )
The thing is you wont get those amenities right away but the city of Fayetteville and Peachtee City are very close and offer a lot of amenities you are looking for as well
Here is a house going for $399,000
https://www.pinewoodforest.com/homes...lease#group-19
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta