Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 08:40 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Forsyth County is not what it used to. For one there is an incredibly large Indian population. I have a close friend from Senegal and he has lived there for about 16 years .Im African American and I would live there but imo there are better cheaper and closer options to the city.

It maybe not what you are looking for but you might love this community called Serenbe accept I dont know if its very diverse due to cost but people there tend to be closer to left leaning.
https://serenbe.com/
Serenbe just seems so isolated and lonely. It’s a neat concept, but the times I’ve gone there it almost looks like a project that started off great then kind of died off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 AM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Something to consider is the Cobb county tax exemption for people 62 and older. You don’t pay school taxes. My home is in the ops range and it dropped from 5400 last year to 1982 this coming year. It may not be a factor, but saving over 3500 each year is a nice bonus and why I specifically chose to live in Cobb county.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Serenbe just seems so isolated and lonely. It’s a neat concept, but the times I’ve gone there it almost looks like a project that started off great then kind of died off.
They are still building new phases last time I went last year. Yes it is isolated somewhat but its not that far from nearby cities.Its too expensive anyway

Old 06-18-2020, 09:43 AM

560 posts, read 335,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTS View Post
Thank you CleverOne for your feedback and suggestions. Although, I like that South of Atlanta is close to Atlanta and less of a commuting nightmare, I have steered away from it due to Clayton County. I've often heard that Clayton is unsafe and the crime spills over to adjacent counties.

I really like the City of Decatur (30030) and Druid Hills, but it's out-of-budget (3-4 bedrooms, updated single family home under $450,000). I will add Norcross and Tucker to check out.
CleverOne can speak on Clayton much better than I can, but you would be doing yourself a disservice not to look at some of the areas in the southern Metro. I had job options in the northeast metro and focused on the Alpharetta/John's Creek/Sugar Hill area to live, and in the southwest metro and chose Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone, Sharpsburg are to live. I ended up choosing Peachtree City. Crime in some of the areas you are considering is much more prevalent than it is across the Fayette/Coweta areas I mentioned.

I was very focused and intent on the north until I visited and started house hunting. In the north I found suburban sprawl and congestion while in the south I found a more out in the country feel with much more home and land for my money and a closer sense of community. The latter largely in part because I chose a city with over 100 miles of multi-use paths throughout and interact with the community daily because so much of it is out on the paths. I gave up having acres of land for that option, but it was so worth it.

All that said, the neighborhoods I mentioned won't be as diverse as you may find up north, having a higher majority of white residents, but you will have no shortage of diversity out and about shopping or dining. Even in the historically overwhelming white city of Peachtree City I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of black, latino and asian faces I've seen out on the paths and I am interested in seeing the upcoming census data.

The dining options options are not lacking, but I would be lying if I said you didn't have many more options up North. For that we plan out activities in Atlanta followed by dining.

I wish you well in your search, but just caution you to be open and cast a wide net.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:01 AM

113 posts, read 92,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Something to consider is the Cobb county tax exemption for people 62 and older. You don’t pay school taxes. My home is in the ops range and it dropped from 5400 last year to 1982 this coming year. It may not be a factor, but saving over 3500 each year is a nice bonus and why I specifically chose to live in Cobb county.
Oh, it absolutely is a factor, aslowdodge. I heard about the tax exemption which placed another check in the box for Cobb County.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
CleverOne can speak on Clayton much better than I can, but you would be doing yourself a disservice not to look at some of the areas in the southern Metro. I had job options in the northeast metro and focused on the Alpharetta/John's Creek/Sugar Hill area to live, and in the southwest metro and chose Fayetteville, Peachtree City, Tyrone, Sharpsburg are to live. I ended up choosing Peachtree City. Crime in some of the areas you are considering is much more prevalent than it is across the Fayette/Coweta areas I mentioned.

I was very focused and intent on the north until I visited and started house hunting. In the north I found suburban sprawl and congestion while in the south I found a more out in the country feel with much more home and land for my money and a closer sense of community. The latter largely in part because I chose a city with over 100 miles of multi-use paths throughout and interact with the community daily because so much of it is out on the paths. I gave up having acres of land for that option, but it was so worth it.

All that said, the neighborhoods I mentioned won't be as diverse as you may find up north, having a higher majority of white residents, but you will have no shortage of diversity out and about shopping or dining. Even in the historically overwhelming white city of Peachtree City I've been pleasantly surprised at the number of black, latino and asian faces I've seen out on the paths and I am interested in seeing the upcoming census data.

The dining options options are not lacking, but I would be lying if I said you didn't have many more options up North. For that we plan out activities in Atlanta followed by dining.

I wish you well in your search, but just caution you to be open and cast a wide net.
It really is a shame how the South is often overlooked and unfairly judged until people actually come. Its never what they expect.Even here in my area of Clayton people say how nice and quiet my neighborhood is and then they are always surprised when they find out its Clayton.
Its super diverse despite the majority black population Even still the black population itself is African,Caribbean as well as African American like me and of course a it has one of the largest Asian and Hispanic populations in the metro as well bout 20% whie

I would also add Downtown McDohough. Its a really nice vibrant town square type city thats walk able and quaint with nice safe areas that are very diverse.In the more subirban area of McDonough there is also plenty of shopping of the usual stuff like TjMaxx,Target,Marshalls,etc plus Tanger Outlets isnt that far in Locust Grove

Old 06-18-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post

Yoski, I appreciate all that you've shared. Thank you for your advice and well-wishes. It is so hard trying to negotiate our relocation journey while living out-of-state. I was trying to find a home based on our current likes/needs. My husband keeps telling me that I'm not thinking like a retired person, which we will be upon moving. He has been open to considering more options than me because work commute won't be a concern. He also generally doesn't worry like I do. As you both suggest, I am starting to be more open to options. I had become focused on certain cities because of large (e.g., integrated communities) and small wants (e.g., proximity to vegetarian restaurants and cigar lounges). It has been hard determining what to sacrifice and what is a deal breaker when you are constrained by a budget of $450.000. However, you and others are giving me perspective. Such as, while losing some diversity and entertainment options in Peachtree City, I would also gain faster access to the airport and activities in Atlanta while avoiding North of Atlanta sprawl. The search is so overwhelming, at this point my want list has decreased. I just want to live tension-free in a welcoming community (no one wants to feel uncomfortable in their local grocery store) in a single family home with a little distance from neighbors. (Right now, our home is just a one car driveway apart from neighbors.) ...Those multi-use paths sound great. You get to live with a country feel, but still have areas with walkability.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
Pinewood Forest is worth exploring.Its being built as we speak but the amenities you will get for money anywhere else in the metro is unheard of(for the price point you are searching for )
The thing is you wont get those amenities right away but the city of Fayetteville and Peachtee City are very close and offer a lot of amenities you are looking for as well
Here is a house going for $399,000
https://www.pinewoodforest.com/homes...lease#group-19
CleverOne, thank you for your insight into Clayton and South of Atlanta, as well as the recommendation of McDonough. The Pinewood Forest project seems interesting. I am about to read up on it as well as check out the links you've taken the time to share.

Old 06-18-2020, 03:46 PM

Quote:
CleverOne, thank you for your insight into Clayton and South of Atlanta, as well as the recommendation of McDonough. The Pinewood Forest project seems interesting. I am about to read up on it as well as check out the links you've taken the time to share.
No problem .Let me know if you need further help

Old 06-18-2020, 04:18 PM

560 posts, read 335,690 times
Quote:
Yoski, I appreciate all that you've shared. Thank you for your advice and well-wishes. It is so hard trying to negotiate our relocation journey while living out-of-state. I was trying to find a home based on our current likes/needs. My husband keeps telling me that I'm not thinking like a retired person, which we will be upon moving. He has been open to considering more options than me because work commute won't be a concern. He also generally doesn't worry like I do. As you both suggest, I am starting to be more open to options. I had become focused on certain cities because of large (e.g., integrated communities) and small wants (e.g., proximity to vegetarian restaurants and cigar lounges). It has been hard determining what to sacrifice and what is a deal breaker when you are constrained by a budget of $450.000. However, you and others are giving me perspective. Such as, while losing some diversity and entertainment options in Peachtree City, I would also gain faster access to the airport and activities in Atlanta while avoiding North of Atlanta sprawl. The search is so overwhelming, at this point my want list has decreased. I just want to live tension-free in a welcoming community (no one wants to feel uncomfortable in their local grocery store) in a single family home with a little distance from neighbors. (Right now, our home is just a one car driveway apart from neighbors.)...Those multi-use paths sound great. You get to live with a country feel, but still have areas with walkability.

CRTS during the lockdown I would walk those paths for hours. In the morning it's like a nature reserve with deer crossing your path out of nowhere and birds chirping all around, and the sun struggling to break through the tree canopy. The evenings with the fireflies and crickets make you feel like a kid out in the country woods. Walking through neighborhoods but through the woods is great. At the same time you can leave the paths and walk the neighborhood streets. I'll do that in the older subdivisions because it feels like you walked into a 70s or 80s movie depending on the subdivision.

I know what you are saying and feeling about not wanting to feel uncomfortable. While I was active duty military I lived in some places like Nebraska and Idaho where if I traveled too far away from the military installation into more rural areas I stood out like a sore thumb in public places. I did I feel out of place and would not want to live in those places, though I was never made to feel not welcomed. Now I can't speak on rural Georgia, but in the Atlanta metro I don't think you going to find places where you feel like you're not welcomed or wanted. Peachtree city doesn't have any minority above the single digits, but I can honestly say its the friendliest and most welcoming place I have ever lived, and I have lived in a lot of places across the country and globe. Pretty much the entire street had visited the house to welcome us within the first two months and now we are friends or friendly with most of the subdivision. Truthfully I get tired of smiling, waving and saying hello sometimes. Since I still wear the Air Force uniform for work I'm having at least 3-4 conversations with random strangers if I stop in any of the grocery stores as there is a very large number of prior or retired military pilots here now flying for Delta. My black friends here would tell you the exact same things though, and trust me, we all know each other. . My advice is to not let a lack of diversity drive you away from considering any area. If you do find yourself actively looking in this area, know that you and your husband can reach out and the wife and I would happily show you around and give you a golf cart tour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta