Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 01:14 AM

7 posts, read 6,190 times

Advertisements

New transplant here. Single 33 year old single straight male moving from NYC to Atlanta. Close to finding an apartment (will try and rent initially and then buy moving forward)

I have mapped out various routes from Buckhead (Buckhead Village area) to my work in Lawrenceville and I realize that the bulk of the issue is simply getting onto or off 400 (which is what I gathered from other posts). 85 should not be an issue typically I'm guessing?

I will be generally trying to leave Buckhead around 6:30am and then leave Lawrenceville around 5:30-6:30pm. I know the commute home will be worse but how often can I expect it to be closer to an hour? How hellish would it be?

I am open to looking at other locations (Brookhaven, Decatur, North Druid Hills, etc.) and I have already but through all my research and for my purposes Buckhead seemed to fit the best.

My info:
  • Single 33 yo straight male
  • Income of roughly 350k-400k
  • I enjoy nightlife on occasion but don't really like to go out during the week unless I am having dinner with friends or on a date.
  • I don't live a lavish lifestyle and I would not be living in the Buckhead Village area for shopping purposes because I don't frequent high end stores anyways. I know Buckhead's reputation for being a sort of (or at least trying to be) the 'Beverly Hills of the South' - that title doesn't interest me necessarily.
  • I would prefer an area with a demographic of 25-40 years. Buckhead seems to fit the bill although it certainly isn't perfect - youngish crowd most importantly, restaurants, bars. Midtown is a tad bit too far. Brookhaven and North Druid Hills didn't seem to have much of travel advantage. Decatur seemed to be more of a family oriented town?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 05:04 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Brookhaven would be perfect, along Dresden Drive. It would also put you close to Chamblee as well as the Va Highlands area via backroads.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:06 AM

4,413 posts, read 3,473,679 times
Also consider downtown Norcross.

Old 08-19-2019, 07:52 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
A Buckhead-Lawrenceville commute will not be bad in either direction really.

In the mornings, you're well ahead of any backups, and 85 doesn't back up north of 400 going north.

In the afternoons, the trip back south shouldn't be bad either. I know that 85 south between 285 and 400 is a breeze. Take it frequently at afternoon rush hour and there is never even a slowdown. It's only south of 400, and sometimes trying to get onto 400N. North of 85 coming south might get a little backed up from all the cars trying to get onto 285, but if you get a PeachPass and use those lanes, you should be able to breeze right past everyone.

I don't know if Buckhead would be my choice of place to live. I don't really have enough info to give you any better options, though.

Old 08-19-2019, 08:58 AM

306 posts, read 328,397 times
I would say Brookhaven, that area by the Costco is really nice! Lots of cool little pubs/restaurants, Publix grocery and apartments in there and a good young professionals crowd. Lots of good looking ladies too if your into the ladies, not sure what your preference is!

Old 08-19-2019, 09:10 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
I think Buckhead would be great, or the Dresden Drive area of Brookhaven.

I would say try these two as a renter. Have you explored the intown areas around the Beltline? These neighborhoods are also very popular--sort of where the action is for your age-group.

I live in Buckhead and it does have a great scene for your age group. There are sort of two groups of young 20s and 30s that co-exist in Buckhead, not to say they don't overlap as obviously they do, but generally there are the African American professionals who seem to hang out both in South Buckhead and up near Lenox. Then there are the mostly white Buckhead locals who work in more conservative fields like law, business, real estate, etc. They seem to hang out more in the Buckhead village area. Obviously, I'm painting with a broad brush here but that is my read.

The Beltline, OFW neighborhoods are also attractive to both groups above as well as transplants to Atlanta, tech folks, grad students, etc. I think these neighborhoods have a lot going on in terms of walkability, festivals, etc. These neighborhoods are more dense and harder to get around by car than Buckhead. It is just what your vibe is. I think you are smart to rent first so you can judge where you really want to be. The Brookhaven Dresden Drive area has a similar vibe to Buckhead but maybe skewing more into the 30s than the mid 20s crowd.

Old 08-19-2019, 09:14 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Sounds like either Brookhaven or the Buckhead Village would be a great fit for you.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:00 AM

7 posts, read 6,190 times
Thank you all for your prompt and informative responses.

I am into more unique/hipster restaurant/bar options although I don't consider myself a 'hipster'. I also enjoy more trendy offerings at times. For example, in NYC I like the Brooklyn Heights/Williamsburg area. Is the Buckhead Village area more 'commercial' vs. Town Brookhaven near the Costco? I realize Buckhead is is commercial to a degree but perhaps its offerings in terms of hangout locations might be more unique?

Additionally, I have heard great things about Midtown and Buckhead is a bit closer. The immediate Buckhead village are seems limited but a walkable area compared to the rest of Buckhead. Is the cafe/restaurant/bar area of Town Brookhaven very walkable and how are its offerings?

I would love to be near the Beltline but I was mapping out the commute on Google Maps using estimated times in the morning and evening and taking 78 seems to be less predictable.

Last edited by tomtom85; 08-19-2019 at 10:21 AM..

Old 08-19-2019, 10:18 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,891,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
A Buckhead-Lawrenceville commute will not be bad in either direction really.

In the mornings, you're well ahead of any backups, and 85 doesn't back up north of 400 going north.

In the afternoons, the trip back south shouldn't be bad either. I know that 85 south between 285 and 400 is a breeze. Take it frequently at afternoon rush hour and there is never even a slowdown. It's only south of 400, and sometimes trying to get onto 400N. North of 85 coming south might get a little backed up from all the cars trying to get onto 285, but if you get a PeachPass and use those lanes, you should be able to breeze right past everyone.

I don't know if Buckhead would be my choice of place to live. I don't really have enough info to give you any better options, though.
Not correct. I-85 inbound in the afternoon can get difficult. That part of 285 gets backed up in both directions. That can cause problems on I-85 outside 285 (whether it does frequently I don't know). But I-85 definitely does stop starting between N. Druid Hills and Clairmont in the afternoons. Both exits frequently get backed up onto the freeway. That last stretch from Clairmont to 400 can be very slow. The alternatives like Buford Highway aren't very good.

And to be clear, I-85 outbound in the morning will get backed up around 285, but not until later in the morning. As said, leaving at 6:30 am will put you ahead of the backups. It may also be early enough to avoid the delays on the first part of the trip, from Buckhead to 400.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:22 AM

11,811 posts, read 8,018,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Not correct. I-85 inbound in the afternoon can get difficult. That part of 285 gets backed up in both directions. That can cause problems on I-85 outside 285 (whether it does frequently I don't know). But I-85 definitely does stop starting between N. Druid Hills and Clairmont in the afternoons. Both exits frequently get backed up onto the freeway. That last stretch from Clairmont to 400 can be very slow. The alternatives like Buford Highway aren't very good.

And to be clear, I-85 outbound in the morning will get backed up around 285, but not until later in the morning. As said, leaving at 6:30 am will put you ahead of the backups. It may also be early enough to avoid the delays on the first part of the trip, from Buckhead to 400.
I second this. I-85 South in the afternoon often does get backed up despite it being a reverse commute. Its worse during sunset (winter months) because I-85 actually has more of a east/west trajectory through Gwinnett rather than north/south so it blinds drivers to a crawl.

I've never had a problem with I-85 N in the morning however.

That stated, anything to do with commuting with I-85, you need to buy a PeachPass... or learn a metric-ton of backroads ...you can thank me later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta