Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 03:40 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,408,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
To some decree I also understand public concern however. I believe we would be blind to insinuate that there aren't definitely problems within the policing system that need to be addressed whether those be in the light of racism or plainly oppressive recruits. I do believe many of the instances, especially as of late have been overblown due to media hype or political bias, but I also feel we shouldn't be oblivious to the fact problems do exist and are very real problems that some seem to shrug away because these issues do not directly impact them.

That stated, I personally am 'not' for removing entire policing forces as police are apart of functional society and definitely have their place and even as a black person, I personally would be much more afraid of a lawless city anywhere in this country than of a cop specifically, but I am definitely pro reform in the approach of increasing the morale integrity of the recruits they hire.
Cant concur. I wouldn't be mad if I never have to deal with a cop ever again. At least against citizens you're allowed to defend yourself. With them, they not only kill you but they belittle you first. They also not only get away with it, but they have "supporters." Due to my past interactions with them I despise cops. They already have their mind made up what type of person you are before they even get to the car. And if you don't fit that mold many of them will force it anyways. Planting drugs on people (which is exactly what they were about to try to do to me until witnesses started recording).

Remember the "red dawgs"? They were supposed to be a drug task force but they abused and treated black people in the hood like trash for years. They sold more drugs than they ever took off the streets and it took them killing an elderly woman and attempting to cover it up to where it couldnt be ignored that they were out of control and were disbanded. Don't know where you grew up but there is a reason many black people do not fool with cops. Some of the most foul people i've ever come into contact with. And then there's always the "not all of em are bad" thing. But the "not bad" ones will sit there and watch the others beat you half to death and won't do or say a thing. Just like the video where the cop intentionally rode his bike over the downed protester's head. The rest of them just stood there and watched. I'll never be a supporter.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:34 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,717,270 times
Quote:
There was one set of exceptions in the latter study, though. Federal investigations and de-policing did correlate with a sharp rise in violent crime in cities that had experienced what the study referred to as “viral” incidents: a high-profile, highly controversial instance of police using deadly force against a civilian — precisely what several cities are contending with today.
https://www.propublica.org/article/w...ing-their-jobs

Old 09-27-2020, 07:07 AM

2,558 posts, read 2,911,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Cant concur. I wouldn't be mad if I never have to deal with a cop ever again. At least against citizens you're allowed to defend yourself. With them, they not only kill you but they belittle you first. They also not only get away with it, but they have "supporters." Due to my past interactions with them I despise cops. They already have their mind made up what type of person you are before they even get to the car. And if you don't fit that mold many of them will force it anyways. Planting drugs on people (which is exactly what they were about to try to do to me until witnesses started recording).

Remember the "red dawgs"? They were supposed to be a drug task force but they abused and treated black people in the hood like trash for years. They sold more drugs than they ever took off the streets and it took them killing an elderly woman and attempting to cover it up to where it couldnt be ignored that they were out of control and were disbanded. Don't know where you grew up but there is a reason many black people do not fool with cops. Some of the most foul people i've ever come into contact with. And then there's always the "not all of em are bad" thing. But the "not bad" ones will sit there and watch the others beat you half to death and won't do or say a thing. Just like the video where the cop intentionally rode his bike over the downed protester's head. The rest of them just stood there and watched. I'll never be a supporter.
So what would be your suggestion then? Just let the community resort to anarchy?

Old 09-27-2020, 08:43 AM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,921,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Agreed 100%. There’s a lot of people here being what they believe is “pragmatic” when it’s not their life that’s at risk.
Rayshard Brooks was killed after he fell asleep drunk at a Wendy’s drive-in. If this had happened in Canton to a white guy (or Mayberry for that matter...) we wouldn’t be talking about it today.
Look, as a white guy, I’ll admit to having kneejerk racial prejudices myself. But I’m not fit to be a police officer. If it takes having only cops of the same race responding to these calls, whatever it takes. Black people should not be being killed and arrested at 3x, 7x (respectively) the rate that white people are in 2020. We need to solve this problem *now* and stop pretending “this isn’t about race” when it’s 100% exactly about race. So much hypocrisy here it makes me puke.
There are certainly issues with abuse and "driving while Black", but its a lie that they are killed at a higher rate. There have been multiple studies and its just not true. Would you be surprised to know that 41 unarmed people were killed by police in 2018 and 9 were Black? And that doesn't get into how many of those were clearly justified. I would guess most people would believe those two numbers are vastly higher. And its been a steady downward trend since the 70s.

There was a Black guy killed here (think it was Dekalb County) 3 or 4 years ago. His girlfriend was threatened by her ex. They were on the phone with 911 when the police arrived. Broke in the door, shot the dog, and when the guy thinking it was the ex (while his girlfriend was still on the phone with 911) came around the corner with his gun, he was shot and killed. They never mentioned the race of the officers responding. You can pretty certainly guess they were Black and that is why we don't talk about that incident. And it was an incredible screw up by the police. They were STILL on the 911 call.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:18 PM

12 posts, read 16,383 times
so maybe they are hiring? i need a job. but I am in arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta