Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 10:16 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
I meant Marietta city schools. I consider Walton, Lassiter and Pope to be in East Cobb as they are not in Marietta city proper. Plus, those schools do not meet the OP’s requirement as they all have very small black student bodies.
I live close to Lassiter and tell everyone I live in Marietta. Perhaps I should tell them east Cobb instead?
I mentioned them because I couldn’t think of any school that checked off each of their wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2020, 11:21 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I live close to Lassiter and tell everyone I live in Marietta. Perhaps I should tell them east Cobb instead?
I mentioned them because I couldn’t think of any school that checked off each of their wishes.
Yes, our area is generally known by locals as east cobb, despite the Marietta address. If it gets incorporated, east cobb would be the biggest atl suburb at almost 200k people!

Old 10-03-2020, 11:52 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,755 times
What you are looking for doesn’t exist in the metro Atlanta area really. To get what you are looking for you are going to have to settle for a school that is diverse.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:07 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
What you are looking for doesn’t exist in the metro Atlanta area really. To get what you are looking for you are going to have to settle for a school that is diverse.
How are the high schools in affluent predominantly black neighborhoods?

Old 10-03-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How are the high schools in affluent predominantly black neighborhoods?
Just about every affluent black person in Atlanta city government sends their children to private schools. Ceasar Mitchell (no longer on city council) was the lone exception and I think his kids are now in private schools as well. Our Mayor sends her kids to private schools. That should speak volumes about what you are asking if our own public servants don’t utilize the public schools.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:26 PM

357 posts, read 329,000 times
Quote:
Just about every affluent black person in Atlanta city government sends their children to private schools.
The Mayor sends her kids to Woodward; probably the most diverse of the prominent Atlanta private schools (and one of the more popular ones among the Atlanta Black elite - partially because of diversity, and partially because of proximity).

It's in College Park (near the airport), but has a very robust transportation system that buses kids in from all over the metro area.

Kasim Reed (former mayor) sends his daughter to Pace Academy I believe (his ex-wife went there).

In a general sense the Buckhead privates (Pace, Westminster, Lovett) are becoming much more diverse than they've historically been known for, but they're still going to be majority white (the incoming elementary school classes at each are hovering around 20-30% non-white, which is a major change from just a few years ago).

Old 10-03-2020, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJayATL View Post
The Mayor sends her kids to Woodward; probably the most diverse of the prominent Atlanta private schools (and one of the more popular ones among the Atlanta Black elite - partially because of diversity, and partially because of proximity).

It's in College Park (near the airport), but has a very robust transportation system that buses kids in from all over the metro area.

Kasim Reed (former mayor) sends his daughter to Pace Academy I believe (his ex-wife went there).

In a general sense the Buckhead privates (Pace, Westminster, Lovett) are becoming much more diverse than they've historically been known for, but they're still going to be majority white (the incoming elementary school classes at each are hovering around 20-30% non-white, which is a major change from just a few years ago).
None of those private schools are as diverse as successful public schools that exist in the suburbs and none of them are as diverse as Grady even yet they refuse to send their own children to the local public schools. It isn’t a good look and it further demonstrates that what this poster is asking about doesn’t really exist. My kids are in the Grady cluster we have no intentions of moving them to a private school. My wife and I believe there is value in a diverse public school education. Shame our city leaders don’t believe that also.

Old 10-03-2020, 01:53 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellbell722 View Post
Hello,
My wife and daughter (13) and I are moving to Atlanta in the next 8 months. We’re looking to buy in Buckhead/Morningside/Brookheaven but are also open to suggestions.
I’ve never been to ATL, so if you have any suggestions, I’m happy to hear them. Also, we work from home so we’re not tied to any particular area.

We’re looking...
for a great school system or private school for our daughter (going into 8th grade and then HS). We’re open to a private school, but we want a primary black school. Ideally we can find a great school with lots of affluent black families.

We’re open to public and charter schools too...
Just looking for primarily black and affluent... black excellence type of vibe

Non-religious schools please
You may not necessarily find too many schools with majority-black student bodies in the greater Atlanta metropolitan area that fit the exact criteria that you seem to be looking for.

But you will find dozens and dozens of schools with plurality-black, majority-minority student bodies and nearly majority-minority student bodies that have many affluent black families.

It all really depends on what kind of metropolitan environment you and your family want to live in (plurality-black, majority-black, urban, suburban, post-suburban, outer-suburban, exurban?).

If you are looking to buy in Buckhead, the North Atlanta High School-anchored cluster is a really good option.

North Atlanta High School recently moved into an impressive $147 million facility that was converted out of a former IBM corporate building and campus.

North Atlanta HS also includes a plurality-black/majority-minority student body (roughly about 38 percent black, 33 percent white, 24 percent Hispanic/Latino), has some very good arts and humanities education offerings and has many affluent black families but also includes much racial/ethnic and socioeconomic diversity like many, if not most public schools in the greater Atlanta metropolitan area.

The Morningside area is served by the cluster of Atlanta Public Schools that is anchored by the very highly regarded historic Grady High School, which is an excellent urban public school that includes a racially diverse (roughly 43% white and 43% black) and very socioeconomically diverse student body with lots of affluent black and white families but also lots of less-affluent black families as well.

Brookhaven is served by the majority-Hispanic Cross Keys HS cluster in its southern quarter (Cross Keys HS has a student body that is about 90% Hispanic) and the majority-minority Chamblee HS cluster in its northern three-quarters.

(... Chamblee HS is a highly-rated public charter school that serves an ultra-diverse student body (roughly 31% white, 28% Hispanic, 24% black, 13% Asian; 35% free/reduced lunch) in an area in Brookhaven that includes affluent and transient inner-suburban elements to it.)

Quote:
Also, we’re considering Marrieta because of their school system, but are wondering if it’s small-town-ish.
The geographically expansive area with a Marietta mailing address (that includes Marietta city proper, East Cobb and parts of West Cobb and South Cobb) is served by 2 different public school systems (the Cobb County Schools and Marietta City Schools systems) and about at least 9 different school clusters (the Marietta, Walton, Lassiter, Pope, Wheeler, Harrison, Sprayberry, Kell, Osborne high school-anchored clusters).

Marietta city proper seems to be doing an increasingly good job of trying to promote, present and maintain a small-town/village-like atmosphere in its largely historic downtown area which surrounds a very popular and active community park/town square that serves as the city’s social and communal centerpiece that hosts many community events and gatherings during normal times.

Marietta city proper also does a good job of attempting to hold onto a small-town community feel and a uniquely Southern small-townish identity (that revolves somewhat heavily around the area’s status as one the key battle sites during the Civil War) in an increasingly cosmopolitan environment that is increasingly dominated by the larger surrounding Atlanta metropolitan region that the Marietta area has became a key and indispensable part of.

But overall, Marietta is not a small-town but is really more like a very large suburban city that has been completely overtaken by Atlanta’s sprawling metropolitan development patterns and diverse cosmopolitan metropolitan culture.

Quote:
I’m originally from Los Angeles so I love the city life.
Atlanta actually has many similarities to Los Angeles, but just on a different scale (with a metro/regional population of 6-7 million in Atlanta versus a metro/regional population of about 18 million in L.A.) and in a significantly different environment in the Southeast in Atlanta compared to the West Coast in L.A.

Atlanta will present you a very large metropolitan area that has many “city life” elements to it but will have a very outer-suburban/exurban/semi-rural look and feel throughout much (if not most) of the metro area with the very low density of population and development, the extremely lush and abundant amount of vegetation and the Southern culture.

Like L.A. already has, much of the Atlanta metropolitan area (particularly inside of the five-county core area of Fulton, DeKalb, Clayton, Cobb and Gwinnett counties) looks to be emerging as a “polyglot” of races and cultures where no one race and/or culture is a majority race/ethnicity or culture in an increasingly diverse and cosmopolitan Atlanta metro area.

Historically (going back to at least the 1990’s), the north side of the Atlanta metro area (above/north of Interstate 20) has been majority/predominantly white while much of the south side of the Atlanta metro area (below/south of I-20) has been majority-black.

As of about 2020, whites still dominate the Northside, though nowhere near to the extent that they once did with the minority population exploding throughout the area (including a noticeable boom in the black population all across the entire Northern Crescent, and an explosion in the Asian population in large parts of Gwinnett, North Fulton and south Forsyth counties), while blacks still largely dominate the Southside with larger white populations further out. The Hispanic population continues to explode throughout the entire Atlanta metropolitan area/region, both north and south.

Old 10-03-2020, 03:12 PM

32,021 posts, read 36,777,542 times
Quote:
None of those private schools are as diverse as successful public schools that exist in the suburbs and none of them are as diverse as Grady even yet they refuse to send their own children to the local public schools. It isn’t a good look and it further demonstrates that what this poster is asking about doesn’t really exist. My kids are in the Grady cluster we have no intentions of moving them to a private school. My wife and I believe there is value in a diverse public school education. Shame our city leaders don’t believe that also.
Well said, ron! Our public schools are magnificently funded by the taxpayers and they deserve our support!

Old 10-04-2020, 06:19 AM

357 posts, read 329,000 times
Quote:
The incoming elementary school classes at the privates I mentioned are all more diverse than three of the four Grady cluster elementary schools (we both know which 3).

Given how demographics tend to go at the private schools (elementary being the wealthiest and whitest, and middle/high school diversifying as people tend to start bailing on APS middle and high schools, sizes increase, and as financial aid increases), the classes of the late 2020's/early 2030's in those schools will increase in diversity from where they're at now.

But no, you're right - what the poster wants doesn't exist.

I've done a lot of research, reading, and informal conversations/polls with a lot of people in my friend/acquaintance circle ahead of, during, and after our +/- 1 year ago relocation to Atlanta (my spouse and I both grew up here and just moved back after 10+ years away with two early elementary kids).

And what I found is this - white people can send their kids basically wherever. If a white person is comfortable enough with the general state of a neighborhood to live there, then his/her kids will basically be okay.

Black people do not have that luxury.

The most telling conversation I had on this was in person - at a rubber chicken banquet dinner, with my spouse and I sharing a table with mid-tier Atlanta elite (with a white and black couple, both with soon-to-be elementary school kids).

Everyone well employed, successful, white collar jobs, great colleges on the resume, and income more than sufficient to pay tuition such that money wasn't a deciding factor.

The white couple was raving about how they loved their Kirkwood neighborhood, and they were going to be going APS no matter what - Toomer is looking up, after all, and they think Jackson will offer great diversity in 10 years!

The black couple is in North Atlanta cluster (Brandon as I recall). And public is off the table. I had a more in depth sidebar with the mom; basically she's of the view that public schools (basically everywhere) are predisposed to assume that Black males will be failures. Even in APS (where the board is majority Black, every Superintendent I can recall has been, the board is all about empowering Black youth, etc, etc), they do all that coddling because at the end of the day, they think these kids are destined for failure.

Privates don't do that coddling. The mindset at everyone is that if you're there, you deserve to be there - you have the skillset and the ability.

If one thinks about it through that lense, it makes absolute sense why you see the dichotomy - white people raving about schools in Atlanta that no sane Black person that has the means to do otherwise would ever send his kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta