Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM

45 posts, read 196,183 times

Advertisements

Okay APS parents, I need the "skinny" on how to navigate the gifted services issue in APS - specifically at Morningside and Inman.

We are moving back to Atlanta after 10 years in the Washington DC area. I have 3 kids, 2 receiving gifted services, 1 in a full time program at a "gifted center" school.

Does anyone else who has come into APS know how they will look at my kids and how they will place them? I have asked this question to the schools themselves repeatedly, and still can't get a straight answer. They keep telling me that they will just look at their existing records, test results, etc., and place them that way - but we use different tests here, and they are administered in different grades, so I'm not sure how it will all translate.

BTW - I have tried calling the number for the Gifted Services dept. on the APS web site, but it seems to be one of those numbers that just rings 97 times until you get frustrated and hang up - no answer, no machine, nada.

I know this is a pretty specific request, but I am just not wanting my kids to waste half a year of school before getting properly placed if there is something I can try to do to prevent that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 07:57 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
The place to start is actually at GA dept of ed and indeed your children (especially the elementary ones) may not be placed in gifted services immediately. If it were me, I would concentrate on the middle school as gifted kids are generally in at least a couple of gifted classes. Over a third of Morningside's students are identified as gifted so the services are probably plentiful. You might consider speaking with one of the gifted teachers at the school perhaps through email.

Georgia Department of Education - Gifted Education (http://www.gadoe.org/ci_iap_gifted.aspx - broken link)

City of Atlanta doesn't have a full time self contained gifted school.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:06 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,261,490 times
Hi rentsto3,

My son goes to Mary Lin, which is a comparable APS school to Morningside and also feeds into Inman Middle.

My son is in first grade and this is the first year they did testing for "gifted". They call it the Challenge program.

Here's Morningside's website:

Morningside Elementary School

Go to Instructional Info -> Programs

Mary Lin's website requires a parent login so I can't send you there, but Morningside is the school you're interested in anyway.

But how cool is Inman Middle?! They have a Robotics Club!

Inman Middle School - Clubs (broken link)

And here's the reference Inman had about Gifted and Talented:

Inman Middle School - Where can I find out more about services for gifted and talented students? (broken link)

Though it's likely something you've found.

Your best bet for info is not to call APS but to call the school and speak to the principal.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: