Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:13 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times

Advertisements

Cobb bar protested as racist for Obama T-shirts | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

Right down the street from the Big Chicken...these are the types of stories and happenings that makes The State of Georgia seem backwards to people outside of the state. The owner of the Mulligans Bar said it best..."I'm saying out loud what everyone in this town whispers," Norman said.

So basically he's painting a wide brush of what the citizens of Marietta think to readers outside of Altanta when he makes statements like that...sad indeed.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 05-13-2008 at 07:28 AM..

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Who cares? That place is a notorious racist, redneck dive of the worst kind. Regardless of your political leanings, it's better to ignore foolls like that.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:00 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
"Saying out loud what everyone in this town whispers?"
I don't think so, miscreant.
I'm ashamed of the AJC for even deeming this newsworthy (although I noticed that the Drudge Report picked it up this AM too).

Old 05-13-2008, 08:08 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
"Saying out loud what everyone in this town whispers?"
I don't think so, miscreant.
I'm ashamed of the AJC for even deeming this newsworthy (although I noticed that the Drudge Report picked it up this AM too).
I'll second that! I personally have been wearing my Obama '08 T-shirt (that's the non-joke version, ordered direct from the Obama campaign website) about East Cobb, and the populace at large seems to be managing not to faint, curse, etc. I think we're a little more cosmopolitan than some foolishly think.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Leave it to Cobb County to mess it up for the rest of Atlanta. Shortly before the Olypics, the Cobb County Commission passed a resolution condemning the "homosexual lifestyle" as being immoral and deviant as the eyes of the world watched.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Then there was the brouhaha over Evolution/Creationism in school textbooks.

Yet on a recent trip to the Marietta Square it looked more like Decatur. Every kind of ethnic restaurant and great shopping. They are renovating the old theater.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:25 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
I always thought when I need to move to the burbs it was going to be to East Cobb because of the schools. For those of you who live out there, does the people in East Cobb think this is OK?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:31 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
This is the deep South, even though lots of folks in Atlanta come from elsewhere. You're going to find knumbnuts in every corner of the metro area - and even within the city, and, from every ethnic group.

History lesson for newer arrivals:

Let's not forget ex Mayor Bill Campbell's "smart ass white boy" comment he made about someone while he was in office surrounded by an all-black leadership group he put into place for the city. Of course, he forgot about the mic nearby and for some time people wore "S.A.W.B." t-shirts and caps in the city because of it.

There was controversy over his comments, and of course he did the, "This was taken out of context" speech, but overall, people just raised their eyebrows and decided to make fun of it and wore their hats and shirts. I'm not necessarily saying that Obama fans (of which yes, I am one) shouldn't pay any attention to the tshirt in question today, but overall, it's JUST A TSHIRT. Get over it. George W. Bush has been shown as a monkey in cartoons (ok, well, he IS a monkey, but that's beside the point).

Every political personality since the 1700s has been drawn as a cartoon. The only controversy is in this case the animal in question by *some* old time racists is linked to a race of people. Let them have their fun. Don't let it ruin your day. They didn't even get the insult right - people LIKE Curious George - he's an icon in a good sense. Heck, if you're going to insult someone do it right at least. Make some posters of McCain shown as a mummy - it's close enough.

So - it's not nuclear war. Move on. I'll bet Obama would.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Cobb bar protested as racist for Obama T-shirts | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/cobb/stories/2008/05/13/mulligans_0514.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab - broken link)

Right down the street from the Big Chicken...these are the types of stories and happenings that makes The State of Georgia seem backwards to people outside of the state. The owner of the Mulligans Bar said it best..."I'm saying out loud what everyone in this town whispers," Norman said.

So basically he's painting a wide brush of what the citizens of Marietta think to readers outside of Altanta when he makes statements like that...sad indeed.
I just heard about that this morning. I'm not totally surprised. One thing I noticed is while people from all over are populating Marietta, you still have old school attitudes from the established residents.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I always thought when I need to move to the burbs it was going to be to East Cobb because of the schools. For those of you who live out there, does the people in East Cobb think this is OK?
Cobb County overall is pretty decent for those looking for a reasonably priced home in a suburban environment with good schools. Downtown Marietta is also one of the gems in the Atlanta burbs with its historic architecture and pedestrian-friendly environment. Despite all of the good things about Cobb County, there is still a small segment of the population that's very vocal and extremist at times. I mean this is the area that sent Larry McDonald, a John Bircher, to Congress.

Overall, it's very diverse and it would be unfair to label the whole population as being extreme right-wing. However, that vocal minority up there can sometimes come out and stir things up for the worse at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta