Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 4,317 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am debating on whether I should move to Atlanta, GA after only 11 months in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX. While I think DFW is a nice metro area, I don't like the weather, driving, or the people.

The weather is so bad here with violently loud thunderstorms, random hail storms, and it rains so much. I know Atlanta rains much more, but I don't think thunderstorms there are as loud as here. Atlanta seems much warmer too.

The drivers in DFW are awful, very aggressive and very mean. I almost got into a life changing accident today because these drivers don't allow you onto the highway and if they'd rather hit you and act innocent around the police and you are at fault. I had it happen to someone I know here and he is forever traumatized of driving in DFW when he did nothing wrong. And this is one of many incidents including aggressive road rage and constant horn honking for no reason. I hate driving anywhere in DFW and it's affecting me. I've even thought Miami drivers were much more chill than DFW drivers.

Finally, people here are not nice at all, very rude and very mean. If they are nice, it's fake. Classism is a thing here along with super judgmental people. I've never lived in a city where class and status matter. Let me add too, I never found a good job in DFW because class and status matter in the interviews as well.

How is Atlanta? These are my assumptions after recently visiting Shreveport, LA. The drivers are just as nice and friendly as in Louisiana, the people are exactly at the same level as friendliness as in Louisiana where everybody says hi to each other and where Southern Hospitality is real, the roads are much wider like in Phoenix, Atlanta is probably on a grid system, and less rude people too. I believe what I hear about the crime in Atlanta is a complete myth.

Let me also add, DART is not safe and I've had people try to ask me for money on DART and I have almost been mugged once. I bet MARTA is much safer than DART.

Are my assumptions about Atlanta true or could Atlanta be worse than Dallas in all regards? I'm gonna visit before deciding. I just want to hear what the difference are between Atlanta and DFW. I'm looking at how drivers, people, and weather are in Atlanta. If the COL is more expensive, then that means Atlanta is indeed a much better metro area. Transportation is another factor too.

DFW to me is just another Phoenix, but in Texas, that's the only difference.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM

1,913 posts, read 1,276,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupastrany View Post
Hello, I am debating on whether I should move to Atlanta, GA after only 11 months in Dallas-Fort Worth, TX. While I think DFW is a nice metro area, I don't like the weather, driving, or the people.

The weather is so bad here with violently loud thunderstorms, random hail storms, and it rains so much. I know Atlanta rains much more, but I don't think thunderstorms there are as loud as here. Atlanta seems much warmer too.

The drivers in DFW are awful, very aggressive and very mean. I almost got into a life changing accident today because these drivers don't allow you onto the highway and if they'd rather hit you and act innocent around the police and you are at fault. I had it happen to someone I know here and he is forever traumatized of driving in DFW when he did nothing wrong. And this is one of many incidents including aggressive road rage and constant horn honking for no reason. I hate driving anywhere in DFW and it's affecting me. I've even thought Miami drivers were much more chill than DFW drivers.

Finally, people here are not nice at all, very rude and very mean. If they are nice, it's fake. Classism is a thing here along with super judgmental people. I've never lived in a city where class and status matter. Let me add too, I never found a good job in DFW because class and status matter in the interviews as well.

How is Atlanta? These are my assumptions after recently visiting Shreveport, LA. The drivers are just as nice and friendly as in Louisiana, the people are exactly at the same level as friendliness as in Louisiana where everybody says hi to each other and where Southern Hospitality is real, the roads are much wider like in Phoenix, Atlanta is probably on a grid system, and less rude people too. I believe what I hear about the crime in Atlanta is a complete myth.

Let me also add, DART is not safe and I've had people try to ask me for money on DART and I have almost been mugged once. I bet MARTA is much safer than DART.

Are my assumptions about Atlanta true or could Atlanta be worse than Dallas in all regards? I'm gonna visit before deciding. I just want to hear what the difference are between Atlanta and DFW. I'm looking at how drivers, people, and weather are in Atlanta. If the COL is more expensive, then that means Atlanta is indeed a much better metro area. Transportation is another factor too.

Yah, you're describing Atlanta pretty much (minus the hail).

Visit, spend at least 3 weeks, then think about it.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Yah, you're describing Atlanta pretty much (minus the hail).

Visit, spend at least 3 weeks, then think about it.
I'm going to spend some time in Atlanta. If it's DFW of the deep south, I probably won't consider it. Also, how are allergies there? Is there a lot of pollen in Atlanta?

Old 03-26-2024, 08:27 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,493,034 times
Quote:

I don’t know if Atlanta will quite be the panacea for all of your challenges that you currently appear to be assuming it to be.

Like M3Guy highlighted in response to your statements about drivers, classism and transit in DFW:

> The drivers in Atlanta may not necessarily be quite as mean as you seem to experience in DFW. But the drivers in Atlanta still can be quite very aggressive in their own right…

> Particularly with Atlanta having emerged as ‘The Hollywood of the South’ as a top-two hub of television and movie production after the Great Recession, undesirable and unappealing social traits like classism, fakeness and fake niceness and even some judgmentalism unfortunately are not in short supply in some key social circles in the Atlanta metropolitan area…

> And, unfortunately, MARTA (whether rightfully or wrongfully) also does not necessarily always have the greatest reputation for safety and functionality and often is very negatively publicly perceived in a greater Atlanta metropolitan and North Georgia region where transit is a deeply culturally unpopular concept outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

And you appear to be noticeably mistaken in your perception of Atlanta’s metropolitan arterial road network.

Metro Atlanta does have a few wider-than-average stretches of Interstate highway, but the stretches of very wide roadway are much more limited than you seem to be aware of.

But overall, Atlanta has a noticeably significantly less extensive freeway system than DFW and is very heavily dependent on a surface network of mostly winding two-lane roads (with a few divided 4-lane surface arterial parkways in place of freeways) with no semblance of an organized grid system.

So getting around metro Atlanta will still be challenging but in a way that will be noticeably significantly different from DFW with its much more extensive freeway system and organized surface road grid network.

But some things that Atlanta does have that DFW does not have are:

> A relatively close geographical proximity to hilly and mountainous terrain (Downtown Atlanta is located only about 80 miles south of the Southern Terminus of the famed Appalachian Trail)…

> Milder summer high temperatures and generally comparatively less volatile inclement weather (because of Atlanta’s higher elevation and because of the Atlanta area’s aforementioned geographical location and proximity to the Appalachian Mountains)…

> Comparatively significantly more greenery and vegetation because of a significantly increased amount of precipitation (DFW averages roughly between about 34-39 inches of precipitation yearly while Atlanta averages about 50 inches of precipitation yearly).

Old 03-26-2024, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I don’t know if Atlanta will quite be the panacea for all of your challenges that you currently appear to be assuming it to be.

Like M3Guy highlighted in response to your statements about drivers, classism and transit in DFW:

> The drivers in Atlanta may not necessarily be quite as mean as you seem to experience in DFW. But the drivers in Atlanta still can be quite very aggressive in their own right…

> Particularly with Atlanta having emerged as ‘The Hollywood of the South’ as a top-two hub of television and movie production after the Great Recession, undesirable and unappealing social traits like classism, fakeness and fake niceness and even some judgmentalism unfortunately are not in short supply in some key social circles in the Atlanta metropolitan area…

> And, unfortunately, MARTA (whether rightfully or wrongfully) also does not necessarily always have the greatest reputation for safety and functionality and often is very negatively publicly perceived in a greater Atlanta metropolitan and North Georgia region where transit is a deeply culturally unpopular concept outside of the I-285 Perimeter.

And you appear to be noticeably mistaken in your perception of Atlanta’s metropolitan arterial road network.

Metro Atlanta does have a few wider-than-average stretches of Interstate highway, but the stretches of very wide roadway are much more limited than you seem to be aware of.

But overall, Atlanta has a noticeably significantly less extensive freeway system than DFW and is very heavily dependent on a surface network of mostly winding two-lane roads (with a few divided 4-lane surface arterial parkways in place of freeways) with no semblance of an organized grid system.

So getting around metro Atlanta will still be challenging but in a way that will be noticeably significantly different from DFW with its much more extensive freeway system and organized surface road grid network.

But some things that Atlanta does have that DFW does not have are:

> A relatively close geographical proximity to hilly and mountainous terrain (Downtown Atlanta is located only about 80 miles south of the Southern Terminus of the famed Appalachian Trail)…

> Milder summer high temperatures and generally comparatively less volatile inclement weather (because of Atlanta’s higher elevation and because of the Atlanta area’s aforementioned geographical location and proximity to the Appalachian Mountains)…

> Comparatively significantly more greenery and vegetation because of a significantly increased amount of precipitation (DFW averages roughly between about 34-39 inches of precipitation yearly while Atlanta averages about 50 inches of precipitation yearly).
So Atlanta is more like DFW of the southeast is what it's sounding like? The drivers at least still seem friendlier, but I did watch some driving videos online and saw some of the same habits such as cutting off. People on foot also are the same? I imagine Atlanta to have a ton of highways like what DFW, Houston, Phoenix, and LA have. I'm surprised to hear it's mostly surface street driving. Thay means the streets have lots of traffic during rush hour? One concern I do have are allergies. I'm not sure how my body would react to the pollen and trees there. I think I want to visit before deciding.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:09 PM

Quote:
I'm going to spend some time in Atlanta. If it's DFW of the deep south, I probably won't consider it.
Atlanta and Dallas have some similarities as large sprawling major Sun Belt metropolises with massive international airports that developed mostly after World War II, but that’s pretty much where the similarities between the Atlanta and Dallas/Fort Worth metros stop.

Atlanta is not the “DFW of the Deep South,” but Atlanta effectively is to the Southeast what Dallas is to the South Central part of the U.S. and North America logistically.

Quote:
Also, how are allergies there? Is there a lot of pollen in Atlanta?
Yes… Because of the very significant amount of greenery and vegetation in metro Atlanta and North Georgia, there can be lots of pollen in the metro Atlanta/North Georgia region and allergies can be a noticeable problem during periods of dryer weather during the spring and fall seasons. Pollen counts of 6,000 and higher are not unheard of during periods of dryer weather in the spring and fall months.

Though, because of the prevalence of long-needle pine trees in the metro Atlanta/North Georgia region and the state of Georgia, much of the pollen that saturates the air during periods of dryer weather in the spring season is pine pollen which often presents itself as a heavy green dust and accumulates in thick layers on many surfaces and generally is not as harmful to people as other types of tree and plant pollen can be.

Pollen allergies also may not be as much of a problem during spring seasons that experience an abundance of rainfall.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:11 PM
bu2

24,093 posts, read 14,875,404 times
Quote:
So Atlanta is more like DFW of the southeast is what it's sounding like? The drivers at least still seem friendlier, but I did watch some driving videos online and saw some of the same habits such as cutting off. People on foot also are the same? I imagine Atlanta to have a ton of highways like what DFW, Houston, Phoenix, and LA have. I'm surprised to hear it's mostly surface street driving. Thay means the streets have lots of traffic during rush hour? One concern I do have are allergies. I'm not sure how my body would react to the pollen and trees there. I think I want to visit before deciding.
Everybody is different. It depends on what you are allergic to. Atlanta does have a lot of pollen this time of year. While my allergies are not serious, I had none in Dallas. Don't really notice it here. I did have some in Austin and Houston.

Old 03-26-2024, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I’m very hesitant to agree to the statement that “Atlanta is more like DFW of the Southeast is what it’s sounding like?” because there appear to be some very noticeable key differences between the two large major Sun Belt metropolitan regions.

One very important key difference between Atlanta and DFW is that Atlanta doesn’t have as extensive of a metropolitan freeway and multi-lane surface arterial road network as DFW does.

Much like DFW, Atlanta is very heavily dependent upon its freeway system. But unlike DFW, Atlanta has a significantly less extensive metropolitan freeway system and also must depend upon its surface road network that does not include anywhere near the number of 4-6 lane surface arterial roads that DFW has.

Atlanta is heavily dependent upon a much less extensive freeway system than DFW. And, yes, both the freeways and surface roads in the Atlanta metropolitan area/region generally have lots of traffic during rush hour.

Another important key difference between Atlanta and DFW is the aforementioned increased amount of thick greenery and heavy vegetation on topography that is more rolling and more hilly in Atlanta than in DFW.

Atlanta and North Georgia is a very good region for nature lovers and hikers to live in because of heavy vegetation in the area and because of the presence of so many local, state and federal government-protected parks and wilderness areas throughout much of the region that extends north into the Appalachian foothills and towards the Blue Ridge Mountains north of Atlanta.

Old 03-26-2024, 11:34 PM

689 posts, read 639,447 times
YouTube has lots of videos about Atlanta. You can watch Videos of people driving around the city and explore neighborhoods as well. One caveat is that the videos are sometimes published by real estate professionals who may infuse their own biases. Atlanta has a lot going for it but like with any location you need to see if yourself and see if it's what you're looking for.

Old 03-27-2024, 05:48 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,985,671 times
Sounds like OP might be better off in a town like Greenville than Atlanta or DFW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta