Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:47 AM

826 posts, read 3,124,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSXV70 View Post
As if we don't have enough cleaning up to do in Gwinnett County, especially the Norcross area, we will have more crime, graffiti, illegals, etc. to deal with if MARTA moves in.
I take the train to Dunwoody. I don't see the crime, graffiti, and illegals hanging out at that station.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2008, 12:15 PM

989 posts, read 1,744,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
I take the train to Dunwoody. I don't see the crime, graffiti, and illegals hanging out at that station.
LOL. I take the train to Civic Center and there is no crime, graffiti, or illegals at that station either, but don't walk to peachtree & pine st.

Old 06-27-2008, 02:35 PM

263 posts, read 1,133,853 times
House bill would OK $35M for Ga. transit

By JULIA MALONE
Published on: 06/25/08 WASHINGTON — In a sign of growing support for mass transit, the House of Representatives is expected to take up a bill Thursday authorizing $1.7 billion for bus, rail and other local transportation systems.
Under the proposed two-year "Saving Energy Through Public Transportation Act," Georgia is projected to get $35 million, with $22 million of that amount going to Atlanta.
However, localities are unlikely to see those funds any time soon because the measure is still has many steps to go for full approval and would require Congress to vote for the actual spending at a later date.
Even so, the House bill, part of the Democratic leadership's energy agenda, provides evidence that Congress is warming to the idea of mass transit as an alternative to gas-guzzling commuting by automobile.
If enacted, the program would help subsidize transit systems so that towns and cities could reduce the fares to encourage more riders, build parking lots near subway and rail stops, and subsidize more "clean fuel" transit equipment. It would also test the concept of federal subsidies for private vanpools.

Old 06-27-2008, 08:09 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,788,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Bad analogy. Fairfield County is a bedroom community area with little business of its own.
Norwalk, Bridgeport, Stamford, Danbury, Stratford? A string of businesses along the I-95 and Route 1 cooridor. How is that a bedroom community? How is that any different than one of the highways out from Atlanta? I think you severely underestimate the amount of business in Fairfield county, and there definately isn't enough rail, road, and highway for everyone to commute into NYC... Not even close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
There's something everyone seems to be missing in the talk about "the tracks are already there- we just need to use them"- the majority of the tracks in question are single tracks, which aren't exactly set up for "commuter rail", which requires dual tracks for trains running in both directions.
Right. To clarify though the whole system doesn't have to be double-tracked, just certain areas, such as stations. Central control would make sure there are no collisions.

I definately agree about grade improvements.

Last edited by netdragon; 06-27-2008 at 08:19 PM..

Old 06-27-2008, 08:20 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,925,927 times
Quote:
As if we don't have enough cleaning up to do in Gwinnett County, especially the Norcross area, we will have more crime, graffiti, illegals, etc. to deal with if MARTA moves in.
Yes, you're probably correct. The rest of the region will have to put up with the crime and illegals that Gwinnett has never dealt with properly if MARTA comes out there - then they will have access from Gwinnett to the rest of us.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
What I am saying is that Atlanta and the planning officials in GA need to consider that commuting to downtown is NOT the only flow of traffic. This doesn't ever seem to enter into the equation. Traffic flows across the top end can be just as bad as those to downtown. Ever been on I-285 at 5pm? Heavy rail costs something like $250 million per track mile, not counting possible acquisition costs. Have ways to reduce traffic (whether involving light rail, or non transit solutions) in other parts of the metro been considered? That was my point.
Most jobs in metro Atlanta are along the I-75 and I-85 cooridors, top-end 285, the airport, and the Peachtree cooridor (mid/downtown Atlanta and Buckhead). With BRT planned along the top-end 285 (which could be looked at as a bypass between I-85, I-75 and the N-S MARTA line), and rail planned to Marietta, I don't see how the largest employment districts won't be covered. Lovejoy is a pilot project because it's the cheapest project with existing parallel lines, covers over 20 miles of the Atlanta-Macon line, and since it's more rural than the North end, we can really see if commuter rail has an affect on development patterns. Additionally, there are federal dollars set aside for the Lovejoy line. The great thing is we only need the downtown station built once. Every other commuter line can feed from it. Later, there are lines planned to Marietta, Douglasville, and Athens.

Initially, residential will cluster around the commuter stations, but eventually commercial will as well. That will begin the transition of the outer metro of Atlanta to concentrate population centers around rail nodes. Currently, the only high-population node on rail outside the Perimeter is at the North Springs station.

Old 06-29-2008, 02:28 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,216,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Most jobs in metro Atlanta are along the I-75 and I-85 cooridors, top-end 285, the airport, and the Peachtree cooridor (mid/downtown Atlanta and Buckhead). With BRT planned along the top-end 285 (which could be looked at as a bypass between I-85, I-75 and the N-S MARTA line), and rail planned to Marietta, I don't see how the largest employment districts won't be covered.
OK..maybe I'm missing something. If you're agreeing that "most jobs in metro Atlanta are along the I-75 and I-85 corridors, top-end 285" then wouldn't that be in line with my point that having transit that only goes downtown doesn't address that commuting pattern or people that need to go to those places from other places OTP?

Old 06-29-2008, 03:18 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,266,204 times
Quote:
OK..maybe I'm missing something. If you're agreeing that "most jobs in metro Atlanta are along the I-75 and I-85 corridors, top-end 285" then wouldn't that be in line with my point that having transit that only goes downtown doesn't address that commuting pattern or people that need to go to those places from other places OTP?
Well, I cannot speak for netdragon, but if you had a light rail line down I-75 from Marietta to Atlanta, that would cover a large sector of the job market, including a "spur" or connection from Cumberland to Perimeter.

On a side note, I cannot for the life of me figure out why there is not an Express Bus from Cumberland to the Airport. That seems like a no-brainer really.

Old 06-29-2008, 09:20 PM

Quote:
There will be a top-end BRT/LRT, that's a separate project that is also being planned (see revive285 top end | Home). For instance, from the Cumberland transfer station they can take the top-end BRT to Dunwoody. Of course, there will need to be a people-mover through Cumberland or the BRT needs to go all the way to the Cumberland mall (Cumberland Blvd), since that's where the CSX line crosses AND where the CCT transfer station is. Additionally, there's a trolley/tram planned for Cobb Parkway and LRT/BRT to Windy Hill on I-75. Obviously, any one mode of transit depends on the other. One mode doesn't work, but when you combine them, you get a comprehensive transit system.

To illustrate, I took part of J2's map, and added MARTA (in blue) and proposed BRT for the top-end (red), along with the Northside Drive/Cobb Parkway/Roswell Rd Trolley (purple). I drew in yellow for the heaviest employment areas. The area around Cumberland is a little mis-leading since the distance between red and green lines is within walking distance if you cut through the Galleria and the Cumberland mall. I think for a few extra bucks, they should bring the BRT all the way to Cumberland Blvd.
Attached Thumbnails
Conservative editors/radio people starting to speak up against commuter rail-commrail_marta_brt.jpg  

Last edited by netdragon; 06-29-2008 at 10:01 PM..

Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 AM

This is interesting and informative: Governing: Light Rail/July 2008

Quote:
I think that view is outdated and has been shown to be inaccurate. Look at flourishing Lenox and Dunwoody, for instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta