Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2008, 02:55 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Moderators:
Please do not delete this post --it is important to me for many reasons, having discussed the Moderation policies with YAC, I believe he would say, 'This one can stay'.

Two weeks ago I found a dog while visiting my friend in Toccoa, GA/Lake Hartwell --wish I was there now.

Anyway I brought the dog back to Atlanta--thinking I could contact one of the many rescue groups and find her a home. Things are tense in my house, death in the family--and my mother called animal control who took the dog away.

I did not know what sort of dog this was--very sweet and friendly and obviously the previous owner had not been able to care for her very well--seemed to have pulled off a lead--a piece of it was on her collar.

She turned out to be a Staffordshire terrier mix. There is now an Ordinance, of which I do not approve, that pit bulls and similar breeds cannot be adopted from animal control to residents of DeKalb County. FWIW.

To whom can I express my displeasure?? It is profound, 'Lovin Decatur'--not Loving Decatur today--seat of DeKalb County government.

So I posted in every animal rescue forum I could find. They overflowing trying to rescue the Pitties and Staffordshire terriers and related breeds. No help there.

Started asking the dog people in my neighborhood, vets, churches, Kroger, my bank--the 4th was approaching and nobody had better ideas.

So, 'Katie, had been in animal control 7 days and would have died Wednesday the 8th day had I not 'Intervened', in my infamous way. cough

I got her out and brought her home, my lhasa apso was not pleased. I couldn't really handle her--she was pretty strong at 35 lbs. So I headed back to Toccoa, yesterday afternoon--hoping that my friend who rescues cats might have an idea.

I stopped several places along the way and everyone loved Katie--especially 'Josh and Candace' in Duluth--I was trying to call Kathie and stopped at a Texaco Oil Change station and met Josh and Candace, now the proud owners of Katie.

They know this breed and really wanted her.

So I am now listening to Hannity's theme song--by Martina McBride--'Independence Day'---'Let Freedom Ring--let the white dove sing...let the weak be strong...Let the whole world know that this is a day of Reckoning'.

Very good song for this day--actually a song about domestic violence. Another of my favorite causes--but today 'Animal Rights' is the priority.

Used my Borders rewards and got this CD for $9.99---I used to work for Borders/Peachtree Road--might as well throw some business their way--LOL. They have more...they will be happy to assist you. Go Borders Books. )

Thank you, George Chong for saying 'Keep Trying'.
I took a few pics and if I can find a way to post them I will.

Staffies/Staffordshire terriers>>

http://tinyurl.com/3ok9cu (broken link)

Katie has light blue eyes--the vet said this is 'special'--she has a sweet face and just wants to stay by her person's side I can tell you that. They were going to cook hot dogs on the grill and I bet Katie has had a couple already. She seemed to be smiling when I left.

By coincidence, my own dog is named for Josh Groban and 'Josh', Katie's new owner sort of looks like him. I could not be happier!!!!

The grill is ready--so happy 4th and I hope my T Shirt won for the P'tree. Haven't had a chance to check. Not that I participate--just applaud those who do. Go Peachtree Road Racers! Atlanta tradition, FYI--for those who might not know about this event. Big, big, thing in Atlanta. That is what We Do for Fun--support worthwhile causes.

TakeAhike

Anybody who knows 'What To Do' about 'freeing' innocent breeds from DeKalb Animal Services--please do it. They are kind people there--have no choice, once a law/ordinance is passed. This one is the result of Michael Vick's cruelty and he should serve additional time for each innocent animal that is killed, jmo. Hope I never meet Michael Vick--and do not tell me he did not Know Better.

Getting off that soapbox now.

Enjoy the 4th. I wish it would rain but this is one of the better 4ths here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta