Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM

20 posts, read 60,762 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

Our family is moving from Northern Virginia to the Atlanta area next month due to work relocation. I will be working in downtown Atlanta and my husband will be working in Kennesaw. We are focusing on the Smyrna/Vinings area to find a home. Any thoughts on that? We're use to traffic congestion in the DC area but we would like to keep the commute down to 30 minutes. Doable?

We have two children in elementary school so school quality is of primary importance. Cobb County schools are pretty good, right? Any certain recommendations for elementary schools?

The insider perspective is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 11:26 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Yes, Cobb has some very good schools, but most of them are concentrated in the "East Cobb" area, not Smyrna/Vinings. The schools in Smyrna/Vinings are OK, but they're not the highly touted schools everyone is always raving about.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:49 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
Depends where you are in Cobb. Our house is in a fantastic neighborhood in Smyrna/Vinings with a great elementary school (Teasley) but many people go private for middle school (as in other neighborhoods as well). If you want to PM me I can give you the skinny. There are several homes for sale in our neighborhood under 500k with tons of kids and young families.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 AM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
That area is great and one of my top 6-7 spots to live in Atlanta. My concern would be the commute. It really depends on exactly where you choose and where you work whether or not I could give you an idea on commute. That location gives you a good chance of getting to both work spots in 30 minutes. Of course, most people would tell you that I-75 in Marietta is one of the worst spots traffic wise so he might want to make good use of 41. There are some places online that will give you a school guide for free. Let me know if you need some sites.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:12 PM

826 posts, read 3,121,210 times
East Cobb is similar to Fairfax ; North Fulton is similar to Montgomery County. Does this help?

Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM

20 posts, read 60,762 times
Thank you all so much. This is such a great resource for us newbies!

One question, what is "East Cobb County"? Any specific towns that I should focus on to meet our criteria- excellent schools, decent commute, family friendly area in a well-established neighborhood? Looking to buy a SFH, 4 br/3ba around $400k.

Thanks again!!

Old 07-08-2008, 04:56 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Metro Atlanta counties have large "unincorporated" portions which aren't in any town. Services are provided by the county. "East Cobb" is the unincorporated eastern portion of Cobb County. Mailing addresses in East Cobb mostly specify Marietta, with some in the northern part of East Cobb having Roswell as the address. However, the area is not part of either the City of Marietta (Cobb County) nor the City of Roswell (actually in Fulton County). You can see a good map on this thread Best area in Cobb county?

Old 07-08-2008, 05:00 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
To the original poster - Although I was trying to answer your question about East Cobb in my previous post, I think your original idea of Smyrna/Vinings would probably be better than East Cobb for your commutes to downtown and Kennesaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta