Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2008, 12:59 AM

8 posts, read 42,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali26 View Post
I have lived here in a NW suburb of ATL for 15 years.

My Opinion:

1. Southern Hospitality: Fake. The sad truth about Southern Hospitality is that the natives here do tend to be very clique-ish, lots of fake smiles with backstabbing judgementalism disguised by "sugar." There is a definate "culture" here where people expend copious amounts of energy hiding/repressing displays of anger and strong emotion that could be frowned upon as "socially negative." As a woman who grow up in the northeast U.S., I find it very difficult to be accepted into Southern cliques of females because my culture encourages displayes of true emotion as being REAL. Very, Very Difficult to truly discover who the REAL person is here in the South because they are EXPERTS at maintaining well-mannered MASKS. They genuinely believe that these masks are demonstrations of good Christian values defined as manners. V. difficult to chip away at the perfect facade to really get to know them and care deepley about them as true friends. Unfortunately.

2. Social Life in ATL Suburbs: Church, Church, Church. You better believe the Bible and display no outward sins or you will spend A LOT of time alone. Family, Family, Family. You better have kids and heavily involved in soccer/football/cheerleading teams. Disconnection. It's hard to maintain friends because of extremely long commutes.

3. Exceptions: African-American people here are REAL with a rich culture and lots of genuine displays of sincere emotion. Many of the black people here are HIGHLY educated with great family values and class. Unfortunately, discrimmination is still rampant here in the South, so a lot of great black people are hesitant to quickly jump into friendships with whites.
let me guess you are african american

Old 08-09-2008, 06:10 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltypleasure View Post
That is b/c you are getting on the connector...dingbat!!!! Learn other ways like sidney marcus to peidmont....lord.
Oh, yeah...so much better...

Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 AM

67 posts, read 272,793 times
What a bunch of garbage from Natali26. If there is discrimination happening here (note, correct spelling) it is from the blacks, who control the city, against the whites. I'm tired of the whining. Look at that sheriff who got himself elected and fired all the white deputies. That's called business as usual in "THE ATL".

Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 AM

27 posts, read 111,169 times
Default Don't Move To Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltypleasure View Post
You are an idiot. "Georgia as a rule are also very tolerant people that do not value education" are you serious...that is why we have 5 out of the top 10 colleges in the country...really....go get an education yourself.

Although I dislike ATL and have many negative comments to say about it, I have to agree that education is HIGHLY valued here. Most of the people I know here in the northern suburbs have at least 2 bachelor degrees. Many of my friends even have 3 degrees and still continue to take university courses after work at night.

Unfortunately, this heightened level of education increases competition in the job market to a ridiculous level (unless you are in the software/IT development field). Don't come here and try to compete for a job if you don't have an exceptional resume - simply too much competition.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:29 AM

27 posts, read 111,169 times
Nope. I'm your stereotypical Lilly-White Blonde Soccer-Mom Caucasian in a v. high income bracket.

I stand by my opinion that ATL has some of the most highly educated blacks that I've seen in any city other than D.C. And I do value their cultural contributions to this city.

Old 08-09-2008, 08:40 AM

2 posts, read 5,087 times
Default Move to baton rouge lol

LOL if you ahte ATL you'll realy hate my hometown...

Old 08-09-2008, 08:42 AM

110 posts, read 390,529 times
Default Quality of life??

Seems with the rush of people moving to ATL and no plan the quality of life has gone down for many. MY family there has gone to CLT .

Old 08-09-2008, 09:03 AM

110 posts, read 390,529 times
Default ATL will be the NEW DEtroit

not a matter of if but when.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:30 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,385,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubianbrotha View Post
Atlanta will be the new Detroit- not a matter of if but when.
Ummm....don't think so- Detroit's demise was caused by a reliance on a single industry (automotive) which is now in the toilet- not by growth.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:30 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,528 times
Quote:
I would love to have the comforts of a suburban lifestyle however have the ability to walk only a few minutes to a restaurant/cafe for brunch with friends. In addition, I would also like to be within walking distance of the trendiest nightclubs and shopping that Atlanta has to offer. (A lifestyle reminiscent of mid-rise luxe-condos in the heart of Miami Beach.) I also plan to entertain new friends, and family from out-of-town, and would like to provide them with a great Atlanta experience. Do any Atlanta neighborhoods have the "perfect" view of the downtown skyline? or any skyline?
The is an edited quote out of a recent thread asking for a place in ATL that is "reminiscent of Miami Beach". This is exactly part of my complaint about people moving to ATL; wanting a replica of their hometown. People say they want a change or a new experience, yet they want the exact same amenities, lifestyle, and culture of their hometown (and of course, they want it to be cheaper too). People ask for a "suburban lifestyle" but near the trendiest clubs with a view of the city skyline!?! This is complete contradiction of each other. You can't have it both ways! Either you live in the burbs and commute for the nightlife or you live in the city and possibly accept less space for the money but have an active nightlife. Then people, especially those with families, will chose the burbs and complain about boredom because they can't walk to "hip" places. I just don't get this.

Again, I'm not referring to all transplants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta