Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 10:33 AM

321 posts, read 1,119,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post

Thanks Rainy ... good info. I do remember that Milton County was merged into what is now North Fulton and Campbell County was where South Fulton currently is.

I'm all for the constituents voting for their autonomy. Afterall this is what our country was FOUNDED on, right?

Without North Fulton (and perhaps South Fulton) and the ATL airport .. the City of Atlanta would literally be bankrupt (and crumble) and their leaders just might perhaps have to live a less luxurious lifestyle.

Just like "us" in East Cobb ... several times there has been talk of incorporating us into our "own" city. However the State of Georgia is and will be against it .. because it would create the LARGEST city in Georgia ... surpassing Atlanta by quarter million people.

I'm all for however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 10:45 AM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswlguy View Post
Thanks Rainy ... good info. I do remember that Milton County was merged into what is now North Fulton and Campbell County was where South Fulton currently is.

I'm all for the constituents voting for their autonomy. Afterall this is what our country was FOUNDED on, right?

Without North Fulton (and perhaps South Fulton) and the ATL airport .. the City of Atlanta would literally be bankrupt (and crumble) and their leaders just might perhaps have to live a less luxurious lifestyle.

Just like "us" in East Cobb ... several times there has been talk of incorporating us into our "own" city. However the State of Georgia is and will be against it .. because it would create the LARGEST city in Georgia ... surpassing Atlanta by quarter million people.

I'm all for however.
There are 750k people living in Unincorporated East Cobb?

I'm all for City Incorporation, which is different than creating a new county, but I find it rather ironic that Milton County only wants Fulton when it's financially beneficial. If I'm not mistaken they joined Fulton during a time of economic uncertainity. I also read where they allowed North Fulton to leave, if they created what was left of Fulton into Atlanta County.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
This country was not founded for everyone to have their autonomy. It was formed to create a "more perfect union." Secondly, the founders believed only male wealthy property owners should hold powers in voting and elective office, not everyone. So indeed, the foundation of this country was very much from an elite viewpoint whereby power was held by the privileged.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
There are 750k people living in Unincorporated East Cobb?

I'm all for City Incorporation, which is different than creating a new county, but I find it rather ironic that Milton County only wants Fulton when it's financially beneficial. If I'm not mistaken they joined Fulton during a time of economic uncertainity. I also read where they allowed North Fulton to leave, if they created what was left of Fulton into Atlanta County.
If you are assuming that the City of Atlanta is 500k people currently; but it is NOT. Estimates in 2006 put it roughly at 480k, perhaps less with economic downturn. It will be someday I'm sure.

Cobb County population roughly 700k+ in 2006 estimates. Perhaps give or take a thousand here or there. Most of the population is in East Cobb; perhaps my overstatement ... however undeniably it would be the largest city in Georgia.

Yes I agree it's very ironic that North Fulton will look after itself, however this is certainly not mutually exclusive to this community which seems to unduly support financial entities far from their residence(s) that they certainly cannot retrieve any benefit from.

Just like the City of Atlanta finds it beneficial to include counties so far out from it's borders (Metro Atlanta) to increase it's population therefore to "dilute" it's high crime, poverty and corruption levels for census. It's just a deceptive however conniving method to "sugar coat" undesirable aspects.

Once again our Country was founded on this principle ... personally I truly detest "taxation without representation" ... perhaps this is the same feeling for those residents of North Fulton?

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
This country was not founded for everyone to have their autonomy. It was formed to create a "more perfect union." Secondly, the founders believed only male wealthy property owners should hold powers in voting and elective office, not everyone. So indeed, the foundation of this country was very much from an elite viewpoint whereby power was held by the privileged.
Well perhaps yes ... that WAS THE BEST way to do things back in the 1700s. With that culture, demographics, population, education and ideals ... there wasn't a great deal of options on the table.

Now lets get back to the 21st century. Perhaps identification of the same ideals can apply currently to those who cherish their own choices, provide for the poor in their own manner, worship in their own way, live where they want, educate themselves and partner with someone of their choice. Regardless of gender, race, creed, etc...everything has a starting point of foundation. The original ideals have branched out to many different walks of life and representation is not limited to one gender, race, sex, orientation or religion (forgive me if I left something out).

Certainly our leaders are chosen by their constiuents ... however sometimes political "gerrymandering" (as an example) has taken place and certain residents perhaps are denied their priviledge of choice.

Which in ANY case is NOT acceptable for ANYONE. Regadless of anything. Ever.

Once again I'll say that North Fulton residents perhaps feel that they are "being taxed without representation". I don't live in Fulton County therefore I don't have this feeling or information.

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-22-2008 at 11:43 AM..

Old 08-22-2008, 08:22 PM

989 posts, read 1,743,067 times
Quote:
Well perhaps yes ... that WAS THE BEST way to do things back in the 1700s. With that culture, demographics, population, education and ideals ... there wasn't a great deal of options on the table.

Now lets get back to the 21st century. Perhaps identification of the same ideals can apply currently to those who cherish their own choices, provide for the poor in their own manner, worship in their own way, live where they want, educate themselves and partner with someone of their choice. Regardless of gender, race, creed, etc...everything has a starting point of foundation. The original ideals have branched out to many different walks of life and representation is not limited to one gender, race, sex, orientation or religion (forgive me if I left something out).

Certainly our leaders are chosen by their constiuents ... however sometimes political "gerrymandering" (as an example) has taken place and certain residents perhaps are denied their priviledge of choice.

Which in ANY case is NOT acceptable for ANYONE. Regadless of anything. Ever.

Once again I'll say that North Fulton residents perhaps feel that they are "being taxed without representation". I don't live in Fulton County therefore I don't have this feeling or information.
I have couldn't disagree more, the founding founders of the U.S. where not exercising the the best way to do things. They were protecting their best monetary interest and elites status of their today. They were exclusively white men who used their powers to protect their financial interest, ironically this is the same reason for North Fulton trying to go back to Milton. So in a sense you are right, this is exactly what the original founders did, but it was wrong then and wrong now.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I have couldn't disagree more, the founding founders of the U.S. where not exercising the the best way to do things. They were protecting their best monetary interest and elites status of their today.
I agree ... do you honestly think that they "also knew the best way" besides monetary interest? That was all that was going for them at the time. I truly (in my heart) don't believe any other kind of [human being] would have done otherwise! What were the other choices?

Quote:
They were exclusively white men who used their powers to protect their financial interest, ironically this is the same reason for North Fulton trying to go back to Milton.
So in a sense you are right, this is exactly what the original founders did, but it was wrong then and wrong now.
Thanks for the reply ... I do see what you are saying and yes "agree" on some principle(s) ... however there is quite a smorgasbord of race, religion, creed and political conviction up in this part of Metro Atlanta.

BTW, I just got back from "Trader Joe's" in Roswell. I couldn't get over how many different types of people were in THAT store. (BTW, Trader Joe's started near LAX in Westchester ... I lived at that place in college ) Black, Hispanic ... gay women couple (one basket, two girls?) ... several Asian ... Hindu or Middle Eastern? A REAL smorgasbord in Roswell. Reminded me of my native home in West Los Angeles. We are NOT all caucasian up here in the NW 'burbs.

Anyhow ... my other quotes is my dislike for "taxation without representation". What other suggestions would you state to relieve some residents who are taxed for entities that they cannot receive benefit from?

Old 08-23-2008, 01:43 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,860 times
Quote:
Cobb County population roughly 700k+ in 2006 estimates. Perhaps give or take a thousand here or there. Most of the population is in East Cobb; perhaps my overstatement ... however undeniably it would be the largest city in Georgia.
No, it wouldn't. East Cobb only had ~150K people in it according to the census:

Detailed Tables - American FactFinder

And, that was including some land west of 75, as well.

Quote:
Just like the City of Atlanta finds it beneficial to include counties so far out from it's borders (Metro Atlanta) to increase it's population therefore to "dilute" it's high crime, poverty and corruption levels for census. It's just a deceptive however conniving method to "sugar coat" undesirable aspects.
The City of Atlanta has no say in what counties are included in its MSA or CMSA. These are decided upon by OMB (Office of Management and Budget) based on decennial census stats.

Quote:
They were exclusively white men who used their powers to protect their financial interest, ironically this is the same reason for North Fulton trying to go back to Milton.
What's wrong with people protecting their own interests, financial or not? If N. Fulton is being shat on while the rest of the county is benefiting from mostly THEIR tax revenue, then they have every right to be upset! In Cobb, although there is talk of making an incorporated East Cobb, most people I know there don't feel completely f*cked by Cobb County government and wouldn't MIND staying unincorporated if they had to because they get services that they pay for (not to mention tax rates are very competitive). I mean, they have running water, great schools, decent infrastructure, police presence, and other amenities. In N. Fulton, infrastructure hasn't been upgraded for a while, a high percentage of homes don't have modern plumbing/sewage systems, and it seems no one listens to N. Fulton residents. I can see why anyone would want to break away from Fulton.

Last edited by xavier132487; 08-23-2008 at 02:06 AM..

Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 AM

107 posts, read 358,874 times
In general, it is funny how people say they are from Atlanta, Tampa, etc, when they are really from Roswell, Brandon, etc.. And then on top of that, they do everything possible to avoid paying the central city or county's taxes. So they want to have their cake and eat it too.

Old 08-23-2008, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
No, it wouldn't. East Cobb only had ~150K people in it according to the census:

Detailed Tables - American FactFinder
Huh? The entire Cobb County population is approximately 700,000 people. Where are the rest of them? If you add up all the major cities in Cobb County (Marietta, Smyrna, Acworth, Kennesaw, Powder Springs) ...that's about 147,000 residents. Combined with your total for NE Cobb of 150,000 that equals 297,000 residents. Where are the rest of the population accounted for? (roughly 379k?) Let me know if you find out? That's a lot of people missing!

Also you're quoting the 2000 Census and NE Cobb is only a part of the county. Don't think they included unicorporated East Cobb that borders Sandy Springs all the way down to Smyrna?

BTW, it is 2008. The last estimates using growth tables were produced in 2006. Here this one might perhaps be a little more accurate:

Cobb County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited by rswlguy; 08-23-2008 at 02:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta