Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 07:13 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Palin has more executive experience than McCain, Obama and Biden put together. As Governor of AK she's amassed an impressive record of reform and has fought and won battles to root out corruption in the government and her own party. I find her choice to be inspired, moreso than choosing Biden, the safe choice. She is an impressive woman, far moreso than Hillary. That said, I believe her selection was to appease the social conservatives not to attract disaffected Hillary supporters.
She spent 20 months as governor of a state with 700,000 residents and prior to that was a mayor of a town with less than 10,000 residents. Chicago alone has a popluation 3 times the size of Alaska. She has no inside Washington experience. I am hoping John McCain if elected has a long and healthy term. We are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:19 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,524,076 times
Actually I think Hillary would have been the safe choice, but that is just my opinion.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,889,761 times
Quote:
Palin has more executive experience than McCain, Obama and Biden put together. As Governor of AK she's amassed an impressive record of reform and has fought and won battles to root out corruption in the government and her own party. I find her choice to be inspired, moreso than choosing Biden, the safe choice. She is an impressive woman, far moreso than Hillary. That said, I believe her selection was to appease the social conservatives not to attract disaffected Hillary supporters. Palin's politics don't mesh with those of Hillary supporters: she's anti-abortion, she's in favor or drilling in ANWR (YES!!), she's a NRA member and 2nd Ammendment supporter, none of which would appeal to Hillary supporters.
She's been running a state of 700,000 people for less than two years, prior to which she was mayor of a community under 10,000. C'mon. I lived in northern Canada - very close to the Alaska border, in fact - before moving to Atlanta. In the north, where distances are huge and populations sparse, you have roles in both public and private life which have the same titles as down south (Governor, or in the church world, Bishop) but those people don't have job responsibilities comparable with their southern counterparts. This is not to say they're not good people, or that they don't face some extra challenges due to the geography. However, Governor Palin has far less administrative experience than many county and civic leaders in other parts of the country.

If Sen. McCain had chosen an accomplished big-city mayor or chief elected official of a populous county as his running mate, people would have been incredulous, no? Yet Gov. Palin's experience is just not more than that. Do people seriously think she's ready to preside over the Senate, let alone step in to run the country if needed?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
She spent 20 months as governor of a state with 700,000 residents and prior to that was a mayor of a town with less than 10,000 residents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
She's been running a state of 700,000 people for less than two years, prior to which she was mayor of a community under 10,000.
Truly, kaday and I are not the same person. Apparently we just type alike.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:21 AM

2,170 posts, read 2,860,551 times
Except in the case of a tie where the VP casts the deciding vote the role of President of the Senate is purely titular.

You can discount Palin's executive experience all you like. You cannot discount that she's been very effective in cleaning up Alaska politics in a very short period of time. Her addition to the ticket highlights reform as a theme and goal of McCain, something he's well known for. She may crash and burn but if not her selection will be seen as a political masterstroke.

Old 08-31-2008, 08:30 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post

2. He has been proven correct in EVERY foreign policy proposal he has made (except the surge, which he should have supported to get us out quicker). McCain has been proven incorrect. Having Biden at his back all but eliminates the risk of a misstep.
This makes me laugh. So he was correct in ALL his foreign policy proposals, EXCEPT the one central and critical strategy that McCain helped author, that has turned the direction of the war in Iraq around. The Dems in general, as always, predicted doom and gloom and were rooting for disaster. It's been a real disappointment to many of them, since now one of the main issues they planned to use in this election has actually worked out against them.

So let me just see if I understand....Obama was always correct, except where he was sadly incorrect?

Old 08-31-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
This makes me laugh. So he was correct in ALL his foreign policy proposals, EXCEPT the one central and critical strategy that McCain helped author, that has turned the direction of the war in Iraq around. The Dems in general, as always, predicted doom and gloom and were rooting for disaster. It's been a real disappointment to many of them, since now one of the main issues they planned to use in this election has actually worked out against them.

So let me just see if I understand....Obama was always correct, except where he was sadly incorrect?
If you look at the US as the root of all problems in the world, then yes.

Last edited by ZGACK; 08-31-2008 at 08:48 AM..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Except in the case of a tie where the VP casts the deciding vote the role of President of the Senate is purely titular.

You can discount Palin's executive experience all you like. You cannot discount that she's been very effective in cleaning up Alaska politics in a very short period of time. Her addition to the ticket highlights reform as a theme and goal of McCain, something he's well known for. She may crash and burn but if not her selection will be seen as a political masterstroke.
I think this is a more honest comment, thanks. Regarding Governor Palin's "clean" reputation, don't we have to wait for the outcome of the "troopergate" investigation to form an opinion on that? If she did try to use her office to get her brother-in-law fired, that would strike me as pretty much "Alaska politics-as-usual".

Old 08-31-2008, 10:05 AM

It's important to note the person crying foul the loudest here is the person she defeated in the primaries: GOP candidate turned Independent one Andrew Halcro. So it looks likes this is sour grapes. But in short the troopergate 'scandal' involves Palin's firing of Andrew Monegan, a political appointee of hers for performance reasons. The trooper at the center of all of this is trooper Mike Wooten, former brother in law of Sarah Palin. Wooten is a real winner: a wife abuser, a child abuser, an alcoholic, a racist and basically an all around scumbag. Oh, and he tasered his own eleven year old son in front of one of Palin's children!

Since her selection there's been a lot of information on the web about it. The more people read about it the more they're going to wish Palin had just out and out shot Wooten.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:25 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I think this is a more honest comment, thanks. Regarding Governor Palin's "clean" reputation, don't we have to wait for the outcome of the "troopergate" investigation to form an opinion on that? If she did try to use her office to get her brother-in-law fired, that would strike me as pretty much "Alaska politics-as-usual".
We can take that line of thinking and go down the line... but that distracts from the basic differences in this campaign between the tickets.

Ever heard of Tony Rezko? Ever heard Biden's recent blatant racist comments about Indian immigrants and his often discussed and blatant plagerism where he copied verbatim comments from a British political leader?

I even heard someone the other day mention Frank Keating when discussing McCain... what's next, bringing in their second grade teachers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta