Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:21 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times

Advertisements

I strongly disagree with you, Greg, and I regret my previous response which was off base.

Fundamentally, in this place where white people treated black people so shamefully, even if our personal ancestors weren't involved, you and I just have no business at all having an opinion about who's black and who's not. Morally, we have no right at all to be going there.

It's up to the black, or African-American, community to say who's one of them.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:37 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I strongly disagree with you, Greg, and I regret my previous response which was off base.

Fundamentally, in this place where white people treated black people so shamefully, even if our personal ancestors weren't involved, you and I just have no business at all having an opinion about who's black and who's not. Morally, we have no right at all to be going there.

Biting my lip, as native Atlantans sometimes do.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:44 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Biting my lip, as native Atlantans sometimes do.
Oh, don't hold back, TakeAhike. I'm not from here, none of my ancestors spent any time on this continent, so I just figure it's wrong for me to go expounding opinions on a topic with so much baggage here.

However, this thread is supposed to be about Georgia opinions on the forthcoming election, as it affects Georgia, and such like. It seems to have devolved into a certain amount of sniping. Perhaps you can take things in a more productive, Georgia-oriented direction.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:59 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,683,442 times
CNN is doing a good job helping Obama, they're already in New Orleans talking about the 'failure' of dumba$$es not taking care of themselves.

But hey, they're a 'Chocalate City'.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,198,865 times
Quote:

So is there a "Committee on African Racial Purity" that makes this decision?

This kind of stuff is silly and reminds me of the discussion about why many people in the "black community" do not consider a white man an African-American, despite the fact the he was born in South Africa and can trace his ancestory in Africa back for at least 150 years, emigrated to the US and became a citizen, but they do consider a black skinned man an African-American, even though his ancestors have been here in North America for hundreds of years.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:44 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,425,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So is there a "Committee on African Racial Purity" that makes this decision?

This kind of stuff is silly and reminds me of the discussion about why many people in the "black community" do not consider a white man an African-American, despite the fact the he was born in South Africa and can trace his ancestory in Africa back for at least 150 years, emigrated to the US and became a citizen, but they do consider a black skinned man an African-American, even though his ancestors have been here in North America for hundreds of years.

Good points, but when it comes to race, what the eyes see, seem to matter the most, for just about any group. You do bring a very valid point though. Coming from that background, partially (S. African mother (white) and mixed Caribbean father (Black & French)...Ask me what I put on the census questions...

However back to the subject, Obama did a great job. He gets my vote for many reasons. I wont yap away. I'm enjoying reading this thread, more than responding to it.

By the way, Greg, you'd get my vote anyday!! Get me a post in your cabinet while we're on the subject.

Old 08-30-2008, 01:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Oh, don't hold back, TakeAhike. I'm not from here, none of my ancestors spent any time on this continent, so I just figure it's wrong for me to go expounding opinions on a topic with so much baggage here.

However, this thread is supposed to be about Georgia opinions on the forthcoming election, as it affects Georgia, and such like. It seems to have devolved into a certain amount of sniping. Perhaps you can take things in a more productive, Georgia-oriented direction.
It seems to me that 'no stone has been left unturned' on any topic in the US, including race. I didn't find Greg's remarks morally offensive, but more factual, having heard this FYI before.

That's about all I have to say other than Obama would have a better chance in GA with the opposing party. jmo.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:36 AM

115 posts, read 541,504 times
Well I think that in the past we've had experienced people run the white house, two in particular. One experienced president sent our troops to fight in desert storm and the economy got bad and we gained nothing from it. Then years later his son came along and sent our troops back to war again now it's worst than when his father was in office. I'm not voting because of what any of them are promising, or race. "I trust No Man But God"! I pray whoever God chooses to be there that He give them guidance, wisdom, knowledge and understanding. How can Obama mess up what is already destroyed. Give him a chance and if it's Gods will for us to live to see 4 more years you can vote him out. My persononal opinion.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:38 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Wow, you read the Dems press release.

What have Obama run? Think I'll take a govenor over a 1 year Senator anyday.
Really I believe that is from the associated press. It is a fact however prior to her 20 months as a Governor of a state with hmmmmm 700,000 residents she was the mayor of a town with 6500 people. I think my point is obvious. I do think she is a very impressive woman but way to inexperienced to be a VP.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:39 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,527,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Wow, you read the Dems press release.

What have Obama run? Think I'll take a govenor over a 1 year Senator anyday.
He spent 8 years in the senate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta