Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 11:12 PM

1 posts, read 4,177 times

Advertisements

library kid is mistaken...Henry Heinz was one of the founders of C&S Bank.....Married to Lucy Candler....who later married one of the symphony conductors..(Enrico Leed?).....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM

15 posts, read 97,195 times
Might as well add Pearl art supply store( Roswell rd)...as an Artist this is a TOTAL lost!!! R.I.P Pearl sniff sniff I'm gonna miss ya...

Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantaboy View Post
Might as well add Pearl art supply store( Roswell rd)...as an Artist this is a TOTAL lost!!! R.I.P Pearl sniff sniff I'm gonna miss ya...
Just found this out last week, when my daughter went by to purchase supplies...sad, indeed! I loved that store.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native-southsider View Post
library kid is mistaken...Henry Heinz was one of the founders of C&S Bank.....Married to Lucy Candler....who later married one of the symphony conductors..(Enrico Leed?).....
Enrico Leide.

Surprisingly little is written about the 'scandal' surrounding the murder of Henry Heinz, who was killed in the study of his mansion in Druid Hills. Although a black domestic worker was initially jailed for the crime, ultimately the case went cold, although rumors persisted that 'a family member' had arranged for his demise (no one in Atlanta at that time would ever directly accuse a Candler of such a thing).
Lucy Candler Heinz moved out of the 'Rainbow Mansion', and it remained empty for decades. It long enjoyed a reputation for being haunted; my father, who grew up nearby, once explored the house and found bullet holes in the wall of the study where Heinz was murdered.
Sometime in the 80's, the mansion was refurbished as the centerpiece of a condominium complex (it was itself divided into four units) and can still be seen on Ponce De Leon near the intersection of Lullwater Road.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Enrico Leide.

Surprisingly little is written about the 'scandal' surrounding the murder of Henry Heinz, who was killed in the study of his mansion in Druid Hills. Although a black domestic worker was initially jailed for the crime, ultimately the case went cold, although rumors persisted that 'a family member' had arranged for his demise (no one in Atlanta at that time would ever directly accuse a Candler of such a thing).
Lucy Candler Heinz moved out of the 'Rainbow Mansion', and it remained empty for decades. It long enjoyed a reputation for being haunted; my father, who grew up nearby, once explored the house and found bullet holes in the wall of the study where Heinz was murdered.
Sometime in the 80's, the mansion was refurbished as the centerpiece of a condominium complex (it was itself divided into four units) and can still be seen on Ponce De Leon near the intersection of Lullwater Road.

For God, country and Coca-Cola: the ... - Google Books

Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 PM

12 posts, read 127,515 times
I saw Don Kennedy (Officer Don) in the Publix grocery store at Peachtree Battle the other night and he must be close to 80, looks much younger, still spry as ever and still has the same warm smile, radio voice and when I smiled at him and said hello, he just glowed...he knew that I knew who he was.

Also, Uncle Sam's Bar/Disco was down Bennett Street at Peachtree Road. Harrison's (later Mick's with the red awnings) use to be right on Peachtree Street and Bennett Street was a dead end street adjacent to the old Brookwood Hotel where Houston's Restaurant, et al now sit. Now Bennett street is home lots of galleries, antique shops and so forth.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Daryl, I'm so glad you posted this. I loved Officer Don and watched him every afternoon. Didn't he come on around 4:00?

Old 03-02-2010, 11:54 PM

12 posts, read 127,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Daryl, I'm so glad you posted this. I loved Officer Don and watched him every afternoon. Didn't he come on around 4:00?
I believe the time changed towards the end to later.. I remember at one point before the show came on, the young, 20-something WSB local news anchor named Tom Brokaw did a 5-minute news segment called "News Brief" at (I think) 4:25 Pm just before The Popeye Club would come to air. The Brokaw segment was done in the corner of the same studio with the Popeye Club's "Gang" sitting just 20+ feet away.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:14 AM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl-Atlanta View Post
I believe the time changed towards the end to later.. I remember at one point before the show came on, the young, 20-something WSB local news anchor named Tom Brokaw did a 5-minute news segment called "News Brief" at (I think) 4:25 Pm just before The Popeye Club would come to air. The Brokaw segment was done in the corner of the same studio with the Popeye Club's "Gang" sitting just 20+ feet away.
Wow, you have great memory!I forgot about Popeye.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Wow, you have great memory!I forgot about Popeye.
FIVE...FOUR...THREE...TWO...ONE...ZERO!!! (Cue cartoon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta