Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slushpuppie View Post
nothing... as long as im not there.
Are you okay?What kind of person hates a place so much that they TAKE the time to try and be crafty and concoct a ludicrous thread that is made up.When pressed you are silent about your meaning?Go get some help in that city you live because you're "coming apart".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 12:32 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Subsequent posts on this imaginary typical thread always involve warnings about traffic and commute times from the locals, and cheery responses from the OP along the lines of "But we don't mind a commute to live in the best area for our kids. Besides, we're used to a long commute in our current location in CA/NJ/etc. That's just normal."
I'll willing to bet they're minding it right about now.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:06 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The current gas situtation WILL get better, though it may take a month.

But here's where you have to plan for the future: If the current gas "crisis" has been caused by a handful of refineries and pipelines going offline temporarily due to minor hurricanes going through their areas - what will happen to this region if a major category 5 hurricane were to go through that area and destroy those refineries and pipelines? What if what we're seeing now, was 2-3 times as bad due to a worse event, with NO gas coming in for a period of months - not days or weeks?

The issue isn't whether or not to live in the suburbs or in the city - the issue is to LIVE CLOSE TO WHERE YOU WORK, regardless of whether that's intown or in the burbs. Atlantans are notorious for living in one county and working two counties away downtown, or across the metro area. Or they live in Cobb and work in Gwinnett, or some even live downtown but work in North Fulton, etc etc. That trend HAS to stop if you don't want to be left stranded during the next "crisis" (and there will one day be one).
Your statement makes total sense but IDK that its realistic. From my experience in searching for employment most if not all jobs worth working are in N Atl...and living on the South Side I have no choice but to make that drive. Most of the homes in N Atl are more expensive than in the South (that how I ended up on this side)and even though I'll spend more in gas ther arent that many options where I'm at.....I mean hopefully something closer will open up later on but only time will tell. But how do you suppose someone find/stays employed where they live?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post

The issue isn't whether or not to live in the suburbs or in the city - the issue is to LIVE CLOSE TO WHERE YOU WORK, regardless of whether that's intown or in the burbs. Atlantans are notorious for living in one county and working two counties away downtown, or across the metro area. Or they live in Cobb and work in Gwinnett, or some even live downtown but work in North Fulton, etc etc. That trend HAS to stop if you don't want to be left stranded during the next "crisis" (and there will one day be one).
I don't disagree with you, but you're failing to include a growing percentage of the workforce...people who work from home. I live in Cobb but my company has an office in Alpharetta. Sure it's 40 minutes away without traffic, but I only go there once or twice a week at most. The remainder of the time I work from my home office and take occasional trips out of town on business.

I don't need to "live close to where I work" and I did have much worse commutes in Boston.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:29 PM

27 posts, read 97,887 times
The gov't is corrupt as well. I know of plenty police officers who take money to turn their back and let bars, clubs, etc. who bring awful sad bastards, drugs, attitude's... drunk driving... everyone wants to feel superior to one another here, but people who dont actually suck arent that ****ing insecure and need to boost their ego around everyone the come in contact with. its sad backwards turning back the clock ****.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 PM

13 posts, read 44,363 times
There is good and bad to everywhere. Some places still run on the good ol'e boy system, but for the most part they are taking care of the community and keeping the undesireables out. Good people all over the burbs who care about raising their kids in a safe community.

I have lived here for 10 years and no very little about downtown. Just not my cup of tea. I know that Cobb County Schools did an excellent job of educating my children and preparing them for college where they are both currently doing very well.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM

207 posts, read 940,445 times
To answer your original question: YES.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:34 AM

18 posts, read 52,840 times
In Atlanta proper, Virginia Highlands and Druid Hills are good. East Atlanta is getting better. Downtown is awful.

The suburbs are pretty good. As an intown dweller for 17 years, I enjoy the Virginia Highlands, Inman Park and Candler Park areas, but I understand why people opt for the suburbs. They have 10 times the amenities at 3/4 the cost. The schools are not even comparable, and City of Atlanta government is corrupt at almost every level. Shirley Franklin has made some progress, but in general, you have to be determined to stick it out in Atlanta.

If I had children, I would live in the suburbs of N. Atlanta, absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta