Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM

43 posts, read 172,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm sorry, but we are talking about people that are sworn to uphold the law...this excuse does not hold water in such a situation IMO. I've seen and heard too much in my years here to believe that a "thug factor" does not exist in the APD. Remember the poor woman that was thrown to the ground by an officer at the airport? I've been nervous about being pulled over by one of their officers ever since.
1. So are you saying because they have an arrest on their record they can not fulfill their duty to uphold the law because of their past?

2. What constitutes a or the "thug factor" you are speaking of?

3. No, I do not remember when the woman was thrown to the ground by an officer. Some policemen are overly aggressive, with or without previous arrests or convictions. Do you remember the Rodney King and Sean Bell cases?

To me... to simply judge a person based on whats on a piece of paper and not look at and consider who they are today is.... Well you know....

Sometimes its not so much the mistake you make but how you learn and become a better person from the mistakes. I personally dont care if the charges were misdemeanor or felonies...(as one poster stated you also have to consider the circumstances surrounding the charges) I didn't recall reading convictions that were Capital Murder.

Reflecting back on your statement regarding upholding the law. I feel most of the time these are the workers that do exceptionally well. They would probably uphold the law and be a better policeman than one without the criminal record. Why? Because they have experienced the struggle and know how hard it is to get to where they are today because of their records. The article stated that they were rejected by other police departments because of their records.

When CHANCE/OPPORTUNITY doors open for people who have often encountered rejection, because of their c. record, they tend to cherish and appreciate things more. (Not to say that individuals without a c. record do not do the same)

To answer one of the above posters question, Yes, even if they were arrested and charges were dismissed or dropped a person is still considered to have a criminal record.

I am happy the Chief has given these gentlemen a chance. I wish them the best!!! I hope they do not blow this chance to prove themselves.

I hope they SHINE and do exceptionally well.

Last edited by Florida2Georgia; 10-13-2008 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 07:33 PM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2Georgia View Post
1. So are you saying because they have an arrest on their record they can not fulfill their duty to uphold the law because of their past?

2. What constitutes a or the "thug factor" you are speaking of?

3. No, I do not remember when the woman was thrown to the ground by an officer. Some policemen are overly aggressive, with or without previous arrests or convictions. Do you remember the Rodney King and Sean Bell cases?

To me... to simply judge a person based on whats on a piece of paper and not look at and consider who they are today is.... Well you know....

Sometimes its not so much the mistake you make but how you learn and become a better person from the mistakes. I personally dont care if the charges were misdemeanor or felonies...(as one poster stated you also have to consider the circumstances surrounding the charges) I didn't recall reading convictions that were Capital Murder.

Reflecting back on your statement regarding upholding the law. I feel most of the time these are the workers that do exceptionally well. They would probably uphold the law and be a better policeman than one without the criminal record. Why? Because they have experienced the struggle and know how hard it is to get to where they are today because of their records. The article stated that they were rejected by other police departments because of their records.

When CHANCE/OPPORTUNITY doors open for people who have often encountered rejection, because of their c. record, they tend to cherish and appreciate things more. (Not to say that individuals without a c. record do not do the same)

To answer one of the above posters question, Yes, even if they were arrested and charges were dismissed or dropped a person is still considered to have a criminal record.

I am happy the Chief has given these gentlemen a chance. I wish them the best!!! I hope they do not blow this chance to prove themselves.

I hope they SHINE and do exceptionally well.
Um, we're talking about a "chance/opportunity" in which these poor, put-upon individuals are handed a firearm and power over ordinary citizens. I think that the standard applied here should be a little more stringent than "forgive and forget".

Old 10-13-2008, 08:18 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,592,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
As someone who pays a lot of tax's to the City of Atlanta, I could care less if a police officer shoplifted. In regards to the assaults, I would need to look at the circumstances.

I can assure you that your standards are different than my standards.

Youthful indulgence should have specific parameters. Personally, I feel that the line of demarcation should be 18-years-old. Of course stealing food due to impoverished circumstances is one thing, and so is stealing tires to buy drugs.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:48 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,404,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Um, we're talking about a "chance/opportunity" in which these poor, put-upon individuals are handed a firearm and power over ordinary citizens. I think that the standard applied here should be a little more stringent than "forgive and forget".
I agree, maybe just maybe the citizens of Atlanta will stop forgiving the inept government leadership that has bankrupted this city and not forget this or the APD issue when they go to the polls and get rid of the incumbent rascals that have caused this once great city to deteriorate to the levels it has.

[*]Getting ready for flaming arrows heading my way

Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
3. No, I do not remember when the woman was thrown to the ground by an officer.
Initial story with video links on right: Cop Faces Termination in Airport Scuffle with Motorist - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Story link after lawsuit: USATODAY.com - Woman manhandled by police officer gets $350,000 settlement

Old 10-14-2008, 03:27 AM

43 posts, read 172,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Thanks for the post but what does this have to do with the title of the thread. Did this officer have a criminal record? I see/heard of excessive force being used more so now than ever before nationwide.

I am still eager to know, what specifically constitutes this "thug factor" (to that poster) mentioned in an earlier post along with my other previously posted questions. (referring to that OP)

Old 10-14-2008, 06:10 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Thanks for the post but what does this have to do with the title of the thread. Did this officer have a criminal record? I see/heard of excessive force being used more so now than ever before nationwide.

I am still eager to know, what specifically constitutes this "thug factor" (to that poster) mentioned in an earlier post along with my other previously posted questions. (referring to that OP)
I think the 'thug factor' is explained very well by the links that Greg posted.
Do you not see a correlation between the use of excessive force and a lax screening process?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:24 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post
I can assure you that your standards are different than my standards.

Youthful indulgence should have specific parameters. Personally, I feel that the line of demarcation should be 18-years-old. Of course stealing food due to impoverished circumstances is one thing, and so is stealing tires to buy drugs.
I am confused by your response. With the exception of your line of demarcation rule, it seems as if we would both want to know the circumstances of the crime committed.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,682,424 times
They said that had offenses from Marijuana posession up to Assault..........

........y'all want to give them a second chance, they made mistakes, etc, etc........and yet you **** and moan about about law abiding citizens walking around with a gun. I have a clean record, concealed weapons permit, hunters safety, been shooting since 10, and a victim of a serious crime yet I shouldn't be allowed to carry in public and these guys can?

Amazing!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:27 AM

826 posts, read 3,121,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
They said that had offenses from Marijuana posession up to Assault..........

........y'all want to give them a second chance, they made mistakes, etc, etc........and yet you **** and moan about about law abiding citizens walking around with a gun. I have a clean record, concealed weapons permit, hunters safety, been shooting since 10, and a victim of a serious crime yet I shouldn't be allowed to carry in public and these guys can?

Amazing!!!
I must have read a different article, but I didnt see Marijuana possession listed. I saw that some admitted to smoking it in the past. The APD screens officers for drug. In regards to the assaults, that has to be taken on a case to case basis. Assault does not always involve physical violence, when violence is involved you are usually charged with battery. For example, the man who was charged with assault for farting.
Finally, who are these"y'alls" you are speaking about? I have no issue with law abiding citizens walking around with guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta