Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM

34 posts, read 234,990 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
I have read about how important the school district is when you buy a house and I agree with all your opinions and suggestions.
Some have suggested that the scores are not everything that people should go and see the schools and find out if it a good fit for your kids. My question is if you don't have kids how do know what school district is good? I have heard about greatschools.com, is a good tool to use?
I appreciate your opinion. My husband and I, we are start to look for a house, we have an idea of where we want to live, but we are a little confuse about how to select a good school district. We don't have kids yet, but we plan to live in our house for a few years and hopefully send our kids to the school we will zone for.
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by new2atlanta; 11-03-2008 at 02:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,615 times
Yes, the website www.greatschools.net is a fantastic site, because it not only gives you scores and demographics, parents write about their likes and dislikes with a school. I would first narrow down what area you would like to live in like Cobb County or Cherokee County etc. Then you can narrow it further to a school or schools that you like. While it's true that scores are not everything, they do mean something. I personally wouldn't put my kids in a school that has horrendous test scores because that probably means they are lacking in other areas.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:22 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2atlanta View Post
Hello everyone.
I have read about how important the school district is when you buy a house and I agree with all your opinions and suggestions.
Some have suggested that the scores are not everything that people should go and see the schools and find out if it a good fit for your kids. My question is if you don't have kids how do know what school district is good? I have heard about greatschools.com, is a good tool to use?

greatschools.com is a good resource.

Many of the school's that rank at the top are listed in threads in this forum which might give you some thoughts about where to begin.

I appreciate your opinion. My husband and I, we are start to look for a house, we have an idea of where we want to live, but we are a little confuse about how to select a good school district. We don't have kids yet, but we plan to live in our house for a few years and hopefully send our kids to the school we will zone for.
Thanks for your help.
Have you identified an area that you like? Posters might be able to recommend some schools.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM

539 posts, read 2,103,460 times
I believe it is actually greatschool.net. Another good site is schoolmatters.com. Don't forget to check out GA's Dept. of Education web site as well.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:36 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,159 times
The potential problem is that a school that may be good right now, may not meet your needs in 7 years. Everything from demographics, programs, funding, or administration can change.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:49 PM

34 posts, read 234,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Have you identified an area that you like? Posters might be able to recommend some schools.
We are have a couple of areas: Smyrna/Mableton, North Decatur, Tucker. I read that the City of Decatur has a very good system, it is on the list.

Our price range is around 220k. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:15 PM

16,707 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2atlanta View Post
We are have a couple of areas: Smyrna/Mableton, North Decatur, Tucker. I read that the City of Decatur has a very good system, it is on the list.

Our price range is around 220k. Thanks.
Recommendations (based on your criteria):

1. Do your research for the areas you mentioned. There are a lot of resources (and people have mentioned some of them to you already!).

2. For the areas you mentioned, I recommend looking in these school districts (they are all elementary districts):

Smyrna/Mableton (including parts of Vinings):
Teasley
Nickajack
Brown
Mableton
King Springs

"North" Decatur
All of the City Schools of Decatur (Oakhurst, Clairemont, Winnona Park)
Fernbank
Medlock
Briar Vista
Sagamore Hills
Oak Grove
Laurel Ridge
Briarlake

Tucker (including areas in "Greater Tucker")
Livsey
Midvale
Brockett
Smokerise
Evansdale
Henderson Mill
Hawthorne

*All of the aformentioned elementary school districts feed into middle and high schools that are great/good/decent.

*I hope this helps. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta