Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:02 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So when will we be able to buy drugs legally? Who cares about guns!

Well im assuming you know that cocaine used to be legal. Not only did they use to out it in soda but they also used to force slaves to take it to make them work at faster paces than they were accustomed to. It wasn't until the mexican drug cartels got involved that they stopped it. I would elaborate but it would moeetgab likely take a turn for the worst.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im just concerned that it maybe come like the wild-wild west again.You maybe responsible with a gun but are you really sure that if everyone had one that a good number of those people will use their gun easier just because its on them than not?I guess the main problem I have is with people walking in public with guns.I understand the need for one at home.I have one myself.Especially with home invasions escalating.
But that's the whole issue. You're probably 10 times more likely to be robbed comin out of wal-mart than you are in your home. I carry mine everywhere that I can legally carry it and if you saw me you'd never even know I had it on me. I've taken self defense shooting classes and I usually go to the range at least once a week.

What you should be worried about is the fact that you can purchase assault rifles at the age of 18 but have to be 21 to purchase a pistol. And unlike pistols, assault rifles do NOT require you to have any type of permit. You could go to your local pawn shop right now and get an AK-47 with a 60 round clip for cheaper than a good pistol and modify it to fully automatic in about 5 minutes.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teasol View Post
I came here from New York and lived in Baltimore before that. I didn't have a car in either city and worked late nights or overnight jobs as well. I caught public transportation and was out at all times of night. This may have something to do with the fact that I watch more news or read scary stories on this forum, but I have become weary since moving to atlanta and I know this city is not worst than were I lived before. I'm saying this to ask if this type of thing happens in only certain areas of the city or is all of metro atlanta going down hill.

Having lived in D.C., crime here isn't even a third as it is in Baltimore. They lead Atlanta in pretty much every major crime category with less people. They call it "body-more" for a reason.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
If the perp pulls a gun on you I'd think that means he threatening your life. Who wants to call a bluff if they had a gun on them being robbed. Imagine this guy goes and hold up an undercover cop. I think the cop would shoot his a**
That actually is the case and like I said earlier I know first hand. You aren't required to wait and see what anyone who pulls out a weapon on you intentions are. And it doesn't even have to be a gun it can be a knife. This is something I've dealt with personally before . Even if you're alone and a group of people are putting your life at risk by tryin to jump on you you can still light one of their asses up and trust me the rest will run.

I guess no one remembers the case that happened here in Atlanta a year or so ago where the teens tried to rob the guy that worked as a chef as he walked home from work. They had him pinned and he stabbed that teenage girl to death to get away. Not only did he not have charges pressed against him but he got like 20 better job offers and they treated dude like a hero on the news. If its legitimate self defense you have nothing to worry about.

Now the emotional aspect of it is something you'd have to deal with but I have no sympathy for anyone tryin to rob or harm me... mainly because I could have easily taken that road but chose to live a better life.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:00 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Well im assuming you know that cocaine used to be legal. Not only did they use to out it in soda but they also used to force slaves to take it to make them work at faster paces than they were accustomed to. It wasn't until the mexican drug cartels got involved that they stopped it. I would elaborate but it would moeetgab likely take a turn for the worst.
Most drugs were legal until the government found out people were having fun with them...they have to regulate our fun to make sure we don't have too much.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:12 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,032 times
When most native Atlantans are asked which areas of the city are safe, and as some of you say "beautiful", the area around Turner Field usually is never mentioned. It has a bad reputation for a reason. Even if it has improved, I would not be walking around in that neighborhood, and almost every native I know would agree. Your robbery proves why.

You must not be from Atlanta originally. I have lived here my whole life and know that the area around Turner Field simply isnt safe. It really never has been. Summerhill is usually associated with the likes of Peoplestown, Mechanicsville, Vine City, Lakewood Heights, etc. for that very reason.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:56 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
When most native Atlantans are asked which areas of the city are safe, and as some of you say "beautiful", the area around Turner Field usually is never mentioned. It has a bad reputation for a reason. Even if it has improved, I would not be walking around in that neighborhood, and almost every native I know would agree. Your robbery proves why.

You must not be from Atlanta originally. I have lived here my whole life and know that the area around Turner Field simply isnt safe. It really never has been. Summerhill is usually associated with the likes of Peoplestown, Mechanicsville, Vine City, Lakewood Heights, etc. for that very reason.
Since Summerhill has been around for 140 years or so, it has a long history of stability and success prior to the decline of many formerly successful inner city neighborhoods. It was the most diverse area of Atlanta, with the beginnings of the Greek and Jewish population along with a mix of white and black families, but it became impoverished as the popular areas of the city moved north and as urban renewal projects like the Downtown Connector and stadium construtction. Most of Summerhill was left abandoned...but neighborhoods like this one can (and have) be revived.

A lot of Summerhill's negative reputation comes from a mid-1960s riot caused by the shooting of a black male by the police...and from the fiercly active (and understandably so) neighborhood association that formed in response to the "urban renewal" ruining of the neighborhood. Just because an area has a recent history of crime and poverty doesn't mean we should forget about it. There are many, many examples of neighborhood revitalization in the U.S....and this one is already several years into the process. Getting rid of Capitol Homes was a good move toward making the area safer. Hopefully Atlanta residents can show some confidence in and support saving some of the city's history.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM

168 posts, read 560,966 times
I don't own and have never fired a gun. I despise them frankly, and consider gunpowder one of mankind's great failures. But alas, we have it and we have guns and therefore we have quick, pocket-sized death at our command. Bad guys find them to be quite an advantage, and therefore the good guys kind of have to level the playing field. That's just how it is, here in America (but not everywhere in the world), at this time (it could change, you know).

I think about whether I should get armed from time to time. I have a family that I promised to protect. Statistically, the chances of a home invasion are quite small where I live. And I hate the idea of having a reasonably-ready-to-use-if-needed gun in the house with children, even when gun safety is practiced.

As for walking the streets armed, I just couldn't do it. Every second of every day I would be thinking "I have a gun on my hip in case someone tries to harm me." When I encounter a shady stranger at night, I think "Okay, let me watch this guy. Let me mind who else is around. Let me plan what I'll do if he seems to be trouble." I guess if I had a gun I'd also add "Let's see if I'm going to have to shoot him." When leaving the house for a walk, if I grab the gun, I'd be thinking "Just in case." If had to think that, I would get so depressed I wouldn't go for the walk.

I think my way of dealing with it is to live in a way that I very rarely encounter shady strangers. I live in a safe neighborhood and pay the premium to do so. I don't go places in town that are probably quite fun because I don't enjoy myself in unsafe areas with shady strangers all over the place.

The problem is the daytime, "parking deck" criminals I guess that could strike anywhere at anytime. I just have to take my chances and practice alertness for those guys. (No you can't talk to me for a minute, because I didn't come to the mall to talk to you, or give you directions, or listen to a pitch from you or loan you a quarter. I don't stop, I keep walking, I get into my car and drive away, and perfectly innocent people probably think I'm a jerk from time to time, but that's how it has to be since I've chosen not to arm myself.) As for lunatics or gangsters that shoot up Lenox Square every 4 or 5 years, I just can't see packing heat everytime I go there just in case "today's the day."

But that's just me.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:46 PM

43 posts, read 117,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post

I certainly am from Atlanta, and I have lived in many parts of it. I love Summerhill; the neighborhood has benefited a lot from Grant Park's improvement and is becoming more like the area over by Cherokee every day. Many people here are professionals and most of those who aren't are hard working blue collar folk.

What happened to me was my carelessness, but a whole neighborhood doesn't deserve to be demonized over it. If you know of another place I can afford a 3 bedroom house and a skyline view on my top porch that's walking distance to the Capitol and GSU you let me know.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:45 PM

561 posts, read 780,790 times
Being from Detroit, I've had more than my share of being on the wrong end of the gun barrel unfortunately.

Luckily I have survived those occasions when a criminal decided to spare my life. The funny part about it is that on all occasions, I was too young to legally own or carry a weapon, so even if I would have shot a perp, I'd have some explaining to do. (rather be tried by 12, than carried by six )

Several years later, I own several guns and would not leave home without at least one. Depending on where I'm going, I sometimes carry two (we call that a Detroit reload) just in case.

Hell, I even take them with me when I fly.

Am I a trigger-happy tough guy? No. Am I prepared? Yes.

I'll take my chances with defending myself since the police is simply a "reactive" force that shows up to clean up the bloody mess after crime happens.

And yes, I would have tried to defend myself in the OPs situation, because you never know what a criminal is going to do. The OP could have been abducted, made to drive to his home to endanger his family just to steal more stuff, abducted other family members, driven to an ATM to clean out his accounts, or just simply killed him.

I've seen this type of thing happen. The guy could have been on drugs which definitely alters his behavior and his perception of your behavior. It also could have put him on edge.

I've seem instances where a perp shoots the victim just because he is pissed off that you didn't have anything of value.

There are gang initiations where a recruit has to kill the victim for no reason just to prove he is down.

This can happen in any town, any place. Atlanta and it's suburbs are no exception to the rules.

I for one hope I never have to use my guns, but if I do, my family and I will be eternally grateful that they help us to live another day on this earth.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Some of you may never know the helpless feeling of being defenseless and being at the mercy of a weak minded criminal just because they have your life in their hands, and I hope you never do.

But, I have had that feeling, and will never have it again if I have anything to do with it.

Stay safe everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta