Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:17 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,339,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Bingo! Sadly, this attribute was not just lacking in the other Georgia cities, it was also lacking/nonexistant in Birmingham, Jacksonville, Memphis and Charlotte. Atlanta is way more than an accident of geography and infrastructure. There is a reason we have risen to the level we have, and south-to-west knows it.

Great post, south-to-west!
Cheers, johnatl!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM

625 posts, read 1,153,671 times
Getting back to the OP

I'm hoping the article is right about our arts scene exploding.

Atlanta has potential of focusing more on film and being the regional center of filmmaking. We're doing OK with theater and live performance but there isn't a lot going on here as far as movies and jobs for actors and producers.

There also aren't as many production companies here as I would hope for filmmaking.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:33 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,194,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Wrong. Birmingham was embroiled in waging war against it's own citizens back then. The Airport decision was sealed back in the 20's when Atlanta was granted the airmail routes by the Feds.
I recently learned of this from a book on Atlanta history. In fact by the 40's the Atlanta airport was already one of the busiest in the country.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:53 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,054,086 times
To go back to the original post, it was a travel guide suggesting 29 places to visit. A "must see" is the way I took it. I have lived in Atlanta for several years... along with Tampa, Miami, Chicago, Mobile and several other smaller places scattered here and there (this side of the Mississippi River only). Work has taken me from northern Michigan to the very tip of the Florida Keys. From the Outer Banks to Little Rock. That being said, I stand by my original response. Atlanta and Washington D.C. do not belong on a 'best place to visit' itinerary in my opinion. I was not slamming Atlanta as some seem to think. There are some really awesome places to see and things to do in the area I defined... but, in my opinion (again), these two places do not belong on that list.
How this thread went from a travel suggestion to "what if" I haven't a clue.

By the way, jjordan... I live in central Georgia because I lived in Atlanta. You figure it out.

Oh, and LovinDecatur, if you want to put Atlanta on your list of 29 must see places please feel free. I will simply disagree with you along with the link provided. It is my opinion... I was not slamming your precious city for the sake of doing so. On this side of the Mississippi River, Atlanta would probably not crack my top 100.

You know, if that Americo Vespucci fella had turned right instead of left we might just be talking about Greenland....

Old 12-29-2008, 03:24 PM

16,730 posts, read 29,706,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I think he means economically. Without Atlanta, Georgia would be mississippi. Savannah = Biloxi, Augusta = Jackson, Columbus = Tupelo, Macon = Natchez, Athens = Oxford.

Outside of Atlanta, Georgia is a pretty poor state.
You are so right. We'd be below Alabama.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:18 PM

23,596 posts, read 44,359,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Oh, and LovinDecatur, if you want to put Atlanta on your list of 29 must see places please feel free. I will simply disagree with you along with the link provided. It is my opinion... I was not slamming your precious city for the sake of doing so. On this side of the Mississippi River, Atlanta would probably not crack my top 10...
Oh, and Bulldawgfan, feel free to paint my 'precious city' with the broadest negative brush possible...I will respond, like it or not. Lived here most of my life; never got mugged here, knock wood. I guess Atlanta is like a sibling that I know isn't perfect, but is pretty darn good...if some bully comes in and starts talking unfair s**t about 'em, I will step in and take a swing at the bully.

Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,102,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
True, but what made Atlanta what it is today is the airport. Both Birmingham and Atlanta were competing for the airport, and at the time they were very similar cities. Atlanta won the airport, but if Birmingham had won, the two cities would be reversed today.

That airport had nothing to do with the growth of atlanta

Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM

96 posts, read 337,581 times
I love Atlanta and Georgia; however, being a Mississippian, I find it a bit offensive that someone would say, "without Atlanta, Georgia would just be another Mississippi." Why do you have to tear others down to make yourself feel better?

Also, as great as Atlanta may be...I don't think the article listed it as the #1 place in the U.S. to visit. Read it again....the cities are listed alphabetically.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:03 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,491,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Georgia is years ahead of Mississippi and Alabama.
I beg to differ.
North Georgia is years ahead.
The rest of the state is about even.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:27 AM

2,876 posts, read 4,665,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
I beg to differ.
North Georgia is years ahead.
The rest of the state is about even.

Look I use to live in Alabama, lived there for four years in Gadsden. Georgia brings in more money as a state than Mississippi and Alabama Combined. Georgia is also years ahead of them and everything is so much more advanced. Alabama and Mississippi is ranked in the top 10 for being a poor state. When I visit Alabama, it makes me like Georgia that much more, there's a reason that 170,000 people are moving here every year on average since 2000, versus 150,000 total for Alabama and the number on Mississippi is much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta