Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:57 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,514 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I have a question to any native Atlantans here.

I'm a native Texan, and I've lived in Fort Worth all my life. However, I'm a casual fan of the Atlanta Falcons.

I've read several online articles about how there are plans to move the Falcons into a new, open-air stadium in Downtown Atlanta. This new stadium will be located just north of the Georgia Dome.

Here are a few of those reports-

Atlanta Falcons want new stadium by 2015 to 2017 - ESPN

Falcons' push for open-air stadium gets lift *| ajc.com

Atlanta Falcons New Stadium Could Be Decided by Money, Location - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ac/20110208/tr_ac/7811182_atlanta_falcons_new_stadium_could_be_decid ed_by_money_location - broken link)

Falcons unveil plans for new $694 million open-air stadium on GWCC Campus - Atlanta Atlanta Falcons | Examiner.com

Is all of this news true? Are the Falcons actually going to get a new stadium?

Does anyone know for sure?

Is this project really going to happen? Or is it all just talk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 05:12 PM

349 posts, read 781,746 times
Well I'm a huge Falcons fan but most of Atlanta is not. Most folks are opposed to the stadium as it would not be privately funded. Additionally many "fans" do not want an open air stadium as they enjoy protection from the elements. For some reason green bay fans do not care about the elements and they have real elements to be worried about along with a super bowl trophy. So if the new stadium does happen alot of folks would not be pleased. Personally I think its silly to replace a stadium that isn't even 20 yrs old but I wouldn't cry about it if it happened.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Yes the falcons want a open air stadium, Will they get it??? No one knows at this point. GWCC has plan for $300-400M with falcons putting up the other 300 or so million.

Falcons will say we are moving out of Downtown atlanta to the one of the open (old) auto asmb area, and the city will cave and give them million to stay.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:38 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Go Falcons!!!.....and take the Thrashers with you...

The Falcons can bite me. When the Saints won the Super Bowl before they did they lost all my support and respect.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM

349 posts, read 781,746 times
Yeah that hurt but come on DTL where's your hometown pride? You know I went to a mets/braves game up here in NY and there were so many braves fans it brought a tear to my eye. I even witnessed some braves fans taunting mets fans in the elevator after the game ( we won). I was so proud lol.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:27 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Looks like I struck a nerve:

"you are soooooo negative. Did your mother not buy you a puppie or something when you were smaller. Negative bastard get the **** out of Atlanta we dont need mo more negative trash in this city"

Thanks for the rep points bro
WTF's a "puppie?"

"Yeah that hurt but come on DTL where's your hometown pride? You know I went to a mets/braves game up here in NY and there were so many braves fans it brought a tear to my eye. I even witnessed some braves fans taunting mets fans in the elevator after the game ( we won). I was so proud lol."

Honestly, I really couldn't care less about pro football(probably due to the fact I grew up watching the Falcons). I do think it's a shame how a lot of people in this city jumped on the Saints' bandwagon year before last. Imagine if folks in Boston started supporting the Yankees after 9/11. The streets would run with their blood.

The Braves are the only team I care about but I'm not afraid to be the only guy in the bar chewing them out on TV for blowing a game.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
yes

Old 04-09-2011, 06:46 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,450,244 times
I remember watching the dome being built from Overlook Hill when I used to live and work in Vinings.

That was 20 years ago. TWENTY. Not 40, not 75.........20.

$210 million stadium, which probably projects to near a billion bucks today.

And now they want a new one already?

I said it was insane for the Falcons to build a dome back then to begin with. What sense does it make for fans to be sitting indoors on an awesome North Georgia autumn day to watch their team? Look at the awesome setting they have in Charlotte for the Panthers.

That said, they wanted Super Bowls, Final 4's, concerts....blah blah blah.....and they got em, so shut up and lie in the bed you made. You don't deserve a new stadium after only 20 years in a state of the art facility just because it doesn't resemble the other ones around the league built in the past 5 years. It's assanine to even bring it up....especially in this wretched economy.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:50 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
The only reason I want a new stadium is it will hopefully bring a Soccer team to Atlanta

Old 04-09-2011, 07:55 AM

876 posts, read 2,279,059 times
I think they should keep the current stadium for a while. It is not that old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta