Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM

1,037 posts, read 2,048,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Someone please answer why can't Charlotte support ONE major tourist attraction??
I feel very sorry for you. i get the feeling that you get no respect in ATLanta either!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
I'LL SETTLE THIS RIGHT NOW.

Go look at "party pics" from the Charlotte Observer:
Photos - Scene & Heard 10.08.10 - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/10/08/1747536/scene-heard-100810.html - broken link)

Then look at Atlanta's "party pics" on "Nelson News" WSBTV Atlanta"
Meet Atlanta's Most Beautiful People From Jezebel Magazine - Photos - WSB Atlanta

Atlanta's guys are WAY hotter, I can't speak for the girls, some straight guy will have to do that.

Old 10-22-2010, 01:31 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Why is Raleigh Durham on this list but NOT Charlotte?
Most city you would like live in or near;
Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > New York City, San Diego and Las Vegas Top List of Cities People Would Like to Live In or Near

Old 10-22-2010, 01:37 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
I get plenty of respect in Atlanta.......are you going to ignore the other 6 threads questioned towards you just so u can attack me??? This must be attack aj jam day!! I love it

Old 10-22-2010, 03:15 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
An error?How when I posted a link is it "an error"?ITS FROM THE SAME FREAKIN SOURCE!!
Let me break it down for you:
I NOT once excluded anything.Call Forbes!They had the same count for cities.Why should YOUR list be more than the one I chose?After all mine was for the CITY.So how is that wrong?The point I said was:You can look at metro or cities it really does not matter.I gave you a link just as you did.The link YOU provided had Chicago MSA at LESS than 30 companies even though you did mention that was for the MSA.You are the type of person that cannot see that there actually can be MORE than one answer to a question.
I never excluded ANYTHING.

I also said it did not matter because whether its Atlanta or any other city you can make the facts fit your definition of why your city is better.That is why I posted the Forbes link from the same article.I NEVER said MSA was incorrect,I said their was more than one way to make the city you want come out on top.

Next time read what is their instead of what s not.
This is too funny! You refuse to admit you were wrong. Chicago has roughly 3x the number of Fortune 500 companies as Atlanta...period, fact, end of story. Go over to the Chicago board, or the City vs. City board, and try to tell the Chicagoland people any differnt and see what happens. Then you'll start crying, "Everybody hates on Atlanta ". I'm telling you, you Atlanta folks are really starting to show your true colors.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Well laugh harder because I agree with what he is saying.Once again you insult another person instead of just disagreeing and moving on.You use words like foolish,ridiculous and you are embarrassing yourself and the try to act all surprised when people go off on your A**.In your mind I suppose no one knows more than you and instead of apologizing you keep on playing the victim.
Regardless whether you agree or not,everything has value and Atlantas' classical music scene has been ranked,awarded showcased more than Charlotte has ever done.Why go to see a high school game when you can go see a Pro Sport team instead?Your arguments and portrayals of people are nothing but a guise of the fact that you really have no defense against what has been said.That is why you are so "upset" and whaling off on people with personal remarks.Whats more disingenuous is how instead of admitting points are valid (even if you do not agree) where you could at least say "well these are your personal opinions" and I respectfully disagree.But you Charlotte posters trying to find any morsel by nick picking the most mundane detail is just more evidence that shows your defensive and sensitive attitudes are non substantive, empty sad case of self inferiority.
I promised myself I wasn't going to jump back into this discussion which has actually gotten rather ridiculous, but in defense of Poseidon704, he has admitted that Atlanta is clearly the larger city with more going on than Charlotte. I don't see where he, or any other Charlotte supporter, claimed that Charlotte has Atlanta beat in terms of amenities and entertainment. But as a former Charlottean that has much love for the city, I don't think Charlotte is getting much of a fair shake here from some people. I don't see where any Charlotte supporter brought up operas, symphonies, or ballets to proclaim how they are superior to Atlanta's. Poseidon704 in particular just mentioned the fact that Charlotte had those things since ajjam didn't know that they existed in Charlotte. As it was pointed out, those things exist in much smaller cities so it's kind of surprising that Charlotte wasn't expected to have them.

Quote:
I have been trying HARD to hold back because you Charlotte guys are WAY too sensitive but Charlotte is SO BORING.
It's all about perspective. I hear folks from New York and DC say the same about Atlanta. It's all about what you like. If somebody likes partying all the time, and that has its place, then of course Atlanta will rank much more favorably over Charlotte. If someone likes doing other things in addition to partying, then Charlotte will look a bit better even though Atlanta will still have the upper hand.

Quote:
I have so many friends that never said anything bad but its "nice".They go live their and the whole time they are trying to get back to Atlanta or D.C.
From my experience, it goes both ways. One of my good friends lived in Charlotte for a while, moved to Atlanta and lived there for a good five years or so, and moved back to Charlotte for a promotion a few months ago. He definitely misses Atlanta and was having a hard time adjusting, but now he's finding things to do and is doing better--although he'd more than likely move back to Atlanta if he had the chance since he developed a nice circle of friends while here. I know a guy that's originally from SC and then moved to Charlotte. He then took a job in DC but eventually came back to Charlotte. I have another friend who's originally from Alabama, lived in DC for several years, and moved to Charlotte. He was considering moving back to DC, but he decided to stay put in Charlotte. Personally, I'm considering moving back to Charlotte in a year. So everyone is different.

Quote:
Charlotte reminds me of San Diego.Nice place ,very suburban like and corporate feeling but the difference is that San Diego is surrounded by natural beauty and plenty to do.More than a NASCAR Museum
I'm pretty sure you know that there's more to Charlotte than visit a NASCAR museum. I moved here from Charlotte, had plenty to do, and never even visited there. As far as the attendance and budget issues go, I don't know too much about that since I don't keep up with NASCAR, but an article on ESPN's website said that the NASCAR Hall of Fame's attendance is thus far on par with similar halls of fame across the country. But I thought that the city was inflating those figures from the beginning just to land the project. I think the biggest issue with the museum is that it was funded in part and operates on public money. Things would probably be different if private companies were footing the bill entirely.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajjam View Post
Btw u are misinterpreting everything everyone is saying....not once did I say atlanta is the only city with a balllet or opera etc.....I said charlotte isn't world cclass which its not...I know almost every city has those....but not every city is as top notch as atlantas among others
Can I ask you a question: what were your expectations when you moved from Atlanta to a metro area a third the size of Atlanta? Did you do any basic research on Charlotte before you moved? It just seems like your expectations of what Charlotte would offer were either nonexistent or just wayyyyy over the top.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 PM

644 posts, read 1,430,821 times
I didn't expect much at all....I moved here for personal reasons....no I don't like it here (my opinion) and as soon as I can resolve some things I will be moving back. I just don't like when people (its really not that serious its just an onlineforum) manipulate what I say to try to make their point seem valid. As a young single person I have tried to enjoy Charlotte.....but the energy or variety just isn't there....MY OPINION. Like I have said before....but when I get attacked by people trying to makee more out of Charlotte then it really is because I point them out...then I get on defensive mode. And I never see the charlotte orchestra ballet or anything in the newspapers on the news or on tv ads...bus wraps...fliers...anywhere....so I didn't think it existed.....my fault...tell their marketers to do a better job!!

Old 10-22-2010, 04:12 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I promised myself I wasn't going to jump back into this discussion which has actually gotten rather ridiculous, but in defense of Poseidon704, he has admitted that Atlanta is clearly the larger city with more going on than Charlotte. I don't see where he, or any other Charlotte supporter, claimed that Charlotte has Atlanta beat in terms of amenities and entertainment. But as a former Charlottean that has much love for the city, I don't think Charlotte is getting much of a fair shake here from some people. I don't see where any Charlotte supporter brought up operas, symphonies, or ballets to proclaim how they are superior to Atlanta's. Poseidon704 in particular just mentioned the fact that Charlotte had those things since ajjam didn't know that they existed in Charlotte. As it was pointed out, those things exist in much smaller cities so it's kind of surprising that Charlotte wasn't expected to have them.

It's all about perspective. I hear folks from New York and DC say the same about Atlanta. It's all about what you like. If somebody likes partying all the time, and that has its place, then of course Atlanta will rank much more favorably over Charlotte. If someone likes doing other things in addition to partying, then Charlotte will look a bit better even though Atlanta will still have the upper hand.

From my experience, it goes both ways. One of my good friends lived in Charlotte for a while, moved to Atlanta and lived there for a good five years or so, and moved back to Charlotte for a promotion a few months ago. He definitely misses Atlanta and was having a hard time adjusting, but now he's finding things to do and is doing better--although he'd more than likely move back to Atlanta if he had the chance since he developed a nice circle of friends while here. I know a guy that's originally from SC and then moved to Charlotte. He then took a job in DC but eventually came back to Charlotte. I have another friend who's originally from Alabama, lived in DC for several years, and moved to Charlotte. He was considering moving back to DC, but he decided to stay put in Charlotte. Personally, I'm considering moving back to Charlotte in a year. So everyone is different.

I'm pretty sure you know that there's more to Charlotte than visit a NASCAR museum. I moved here from Charlotte, had plenty to do, and never even visited there. As far as the attendance and budget issues go, I don't know too much about that since I don't keep up with NASCAR, but an article on ESPN's website said that the NASCAR Hall of Fame's attendance is thus far on par with similar halls of fame across the country. But I thought that the city was inflating those figures from the beginning just to land the project. I think the biggest issue with the museum is that it was funded in part and operates on public money. Things would probably be different if private companies were footing the bill entirely.
I did not set out to offend anybody.I do have an opinion.I have explained exactly what I meant.Several poster from Charlotte(not you) have attacked people on h
You can go back to where Poseidon not only insults peoples intelligence but also never apologized for his countless demeaning remarks.

The Symphony thing was brought up by Ajjam.Obviously he was wrong in his assumption.He even said so.What he did say(and I agree) is that there are levels of quality.Just to have a car does not mean its a great car.But Posideon continued to deride him by acting like he did not understand even though Ajjam clarified himself.

We all misspoke from time to time.But it does not mean there is some callous,vindictive reasoning other than it is simply the opinion of the poster.

As far as which is better,I dont argue those points because its all subjective,but if you look at tourism numbers and facts, how can you argue that if it supports what has been said?

So yes people from D.C. and NYC can say all they want but NUMBERS don't lie.

And all this statements that i act diffently when it NYC or D.C vs Atlanta is crazy.If the facts are their,then fine.But no one can change an opinion that is entirely subjective.I lived in NYC because I thought it was better than Atlanta.I did the same in Philly.The only place where I would like to live other than Atlanta is Chicago.I hate snow and winters.So until SOME of these people do what I have done,they make me out to be anything but practical and methodical.I don't speak unless I DO.

Oh as far as NASCAR and other museums around the country?Those having trouble almost have one thing in common other than mismanagement.LOCATION!The fact is that why would you open a museum based on the fact that it belongs there rather than can it operate?On another thread they are talking about the GA HOF in Macon.Its the same thing.I grew up in a city 15min from Macon so i know the significance of it being there.But I knew and every one else knew that it had an up hill battle as do all the other state museums that have been pushed to open in Macon.Its truly sad because the NASCAR museum is a treat for even people who hate NASCAR.The NASCAR museum is funded like many museums across the country.It all has to do with TOURISM+FOOT TRAFFIC.Its gotta get support from more than just the people in Charlotte.Charlotte ranks very low for a destination city.That is just fact.And all that mentioned is a result of such facts.

Last edited by afonega1; 10-22-2010 at 04:23 PM..

Old 10-22-2010, 04:20 PM

So ajjam, if you didn't expect much, why are you complaining as though Charlotte was this huge letdown?

I don't see anyone trying to make Charlotte more than what it is, but when people say untrue things like there is nothing outside of Uptown or things like that, then they need to be corrected. As far as advertisements for the orchestra, ballet, or opera, I can recall seeing that sometimes while in Charlotte but I tend to not pay much attention to commercials and ads. But a simple Google search would have revealed their presence. Like it was mentioned, those things are standard even in smaller cities so I just expect any sizable city to have them.

I think people would take less offense if opinions were tempered a bit with facts. Instead of "There's nothing to do here, it's totally boring," it could be said "There are things to do here, but the social scene is just too small for me" or "There are parties and clubs here, but I'm just used to star-studded events and Charlotte doesn't have those." When people say things like there's nothing in Charlotte but NASCAR, of course people will defend their city. That's not to be confused with making the city more than what it is, but just presenting facts. I would think the Atlanta forumers in particular would know how this feels since Atlanta constantly gets ragged on in the city-vs-city forum. People here are saying there's nothing more to Charlotte than NASCAR and that there's nothing outside of downtown, and people on the city-vs-city forum say the entire city of Atlanta revolves around hip hop and is nothing but endless sprawl as far as the eye can see. None of that is true, but it's a bit surprising to see people who have to constantly defend Atlanta against such nonsense resort to the same sort of attacks against its little sister up the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta