Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2009, 03:09 PM

293 posts, read 1,106,935 times

Advertisements

So, my fellow educators, how will it feel to have to deal with this? All I can say is in some situations, there will be even more children left behind. I know it may not seem like a lot, but, imagine teachers that have to deal with extreme discipline AND academic issues (LIKE ME). But, just another result of this horrible economy.

Classes may have a few more kids, cost less money | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/printedition/2009/01/09/classsize.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 03:12 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,025 times
Try college. You cannot even get into the classes you need. Been like this for a while now, despite hiking tuition and cutbacks in h.o.p.e. approvals

Article says the increase is 2 students per class. Hardly noticable in real terms.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Try college. You cannot even get into the classes you need. Been like this for a while now, despite hiking tuition and cutbacks in h.o.p.e. approvals

Article says the increase is 2 students per class. Hardly noticable in real terms.
Yes, it doesn't seem like a lot. But, it's not if you do not have discipline and academic challenges depending on the area you teach in. I used to think the same thing before I actually started teaching.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
How bad do you think it will actual become GA Peach? Do you have feeling that it may grow to a crazier number like 10-12 students?

Old 01-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
How bad do you think it will actual become GA Peach? Do you have feeling that it may grow to a crazier number like 10-12 students?
Well, right now its only going to be by 2 students which doesn't seem like much, but, depending on the classroom climate, can be a strained.
But, that's why we get paid the big bucks, right? We are superheros, we can handle ANYTHING!!

Old 01-11-2009, 09:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Adding 2 students to a classroom of 2nd Graders IS a big deal. Teachers are already pulled in 100 different directions during a typical day...and 2 additional students simply means that my time and attention is further diluted - and it was already being distributed among too many areas.

I'm not sure why this is such a big news item. The maximum class sizes were not adhered to - I can assure you of that. In booming areas of Metro Atlanta, registering new students is a continual process that lasts the entire school year. Last year at my Fulton County school, our grade level registered an average of 3 students per week, but quite a bit more than that in August and September. The school can't hire another teacher/create a new class just because a newly registered student will cause a classroom to exceed the limit. That new student will, of course, be placed in a classroom...as will the next one, and the next, and the next, etc. until there are enough students to warrant hiring an additional teacher (which may or may not happen). My grade level started out with 7 classes in August, but ended the year with 11. My class size fluctuated between 19 and 22 students - and these aren't at an independent age.

I'm not complaining about the above scenario...it's expected when teaching public school in a growing area. Public schools don't have the option of turning away new students that live in the district, and it's difficult finding places for all of them - and impossible to find places for all of them while adhering to class size limits.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:13 PM

308 posts, read 1,038,055 times
This country's survival has and will continue to rest on the backs of our teachers. Generation after generation they deal with more and more red tape and continue to come through. Wish US students valued their education like most of the international community.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:43 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,891,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinwreck17 View Post
This country's survival has and will continue to rest on the backs of our teachers. Generation after generation they deal with more and more red tape and continue to come through.
I'll second that. Given the low pay scales of Georgia teachers, compared with other professional jobs, it's amazing that we have so many good teachers. For example, my daughter has had excellent math teachers in Cobb middle and high schools. With their good math and organizational skills, those people could easily have been successful in my field, software engineering, and be making more money.

As a society, we benefit a lot from the altruism of people who are drawn to a teaching career.

(I'm not saying there are no poor teachers out there. Of course there are. But the good ones are pretty amazing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: