Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:26 PM

369 posts, read 1,146,215 times

Advertisements

We used to live in the Sope Creek school district in Cobb County. This is an extremely sought-after school, and it was interesting to see the license plates in the car pool line from Dekalb and Fulton Counties, and I also knew of several children from other Cobb districts that were in school there. Some of these cases were probably divorce situations, but many were cheaters. I never turned anyone in or tried, but I did inwardly resent the idea that resources intended for my kids were being drawn away by cheaters.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 PM

401 posts, read 1,732,927 times
Bay area, NO ONE is preventing this woman from moving to Henry County. You act like there are guards at the county line turning folks away.

There are no laws preventing anyone from any race or socioeconomic circumstance from moving there. Henry County has housing at all price points. They have public housing, subsidized housing, regular market rate housing. She can get whatever she needs. It's the same case with Fulton, Cobb, Marietta, Fayette, etc, etc....

She is paying taxes to Clayton.. not Henry. A large percentage of our school budgets are funded through local taxation. Therefore, if she scams her kids into another district, she is stealing from that district. FYI, nearly 40% of Henry County kids are low income. She is stealing from all those low income families who are sacrificing to get their kids in Henry County Schools. The low income Henry County kids have a little less because she is cheating. I wonder how they feel about that?

I get the impression from your posts that perhaps you have children or other relatives that are illegally enrolled outside of their district. If that is the case, do your kids/nieces/nephews/friends' kids enjoy lying every day? If they eventually lie to you or cheat on a test or lie on a college/employment application... If they steal from someone.... what will you tell them? Lying is OK sometimes? When....., exactly, is lying OK? Is it OK to steal when you can't actually see what you stole? Is it OK to steal if your kids feel that someone has more than they do? Is it OK to lie if it benefits them or their family?

The scariest thing about this whole residency issue is that the folks that think that cheating is OK don't have the reasoning skills to see that it is not only legally wrong but also morally wrong, and they are raising kids with the same faulty moral barometer. To them, honesty and integrity are luxuries for the rich. Ironic isn't it?

And.. no... I see no difference morally between false swearing to fake residency and stealing a credit card number. The only difference I guess is that the false swearing is more likely to hurt poor kids while the credit card theft only directly hurts credit card companies. Also, I do not see faking residency as something limited to the poor. We have a ton of upper middle class folks faking residency in our district. Is is OK for poor families but not OK for rich/middle class families?

Maybe you don't like local funding of public schools. Maybe you feel that we should have free enrollment for all schools. However, that is not our current system. Frankly, I'd love to see free enrollment to all schools... including vouchers for private schools. However, we are not there yet and the county/city funding systems that we have are not designed to handle hoards of cheaters. Therefore, we are stuck for now with the laws that we have on the books, and our citizens are bound to abide by them until they can change them.

Plus this woman could have pled out on a lesser charge.. but she decided to take a chance on a jury agreeing with you. The jury didn't agree with you - they agreed with me instead. She chose to take that chance, and she lost. I have no pity - except for her embarrassed kids. Hopefully, her kids learned that lying has consequences so I guess it may have been for the best in the long run.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Interesting. I went to an Atlanta elementary school as a non-resident in the middle to late 90s, but I did attend using the address of my childless aunt and uncle. So technically I guess they paid for me.
Fair enough.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:56 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,890,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Interesting. I went to an Atlanta elementary school as a non-resident in the middle to late 90s, but I did attend using the address of my childless aunt and uncle. So technically I guess they paid for me.
Fair enough.
Interesting. As a Canadian, I've been flabbergasted by the tax troubles of the Obama administration nominees, and by some of the assertions on this thread. In Canada, income tax compliance is very high, and people are law-abiding, because that's what Canadians do. If they don't like the law, they campaign to get it changed.

Down here in the US, there's quite a cultural difference apparent. Many Americans think that compliance with the law is something you do when it suits you, you agree with it, and it doesn't get in the way of your other priorities (such as putting your kids in a good school, or having more disposable income).

If jjordan's parent(s) made a false statement to register her or him in school, that was wrong. The law does not, I presume, say it's OK to register in any school district where you have a childless tax paying relative. Making up your own exceptions to the law is not right, and it's bizarre to me (although seemingly, typical of the American attitude) that MisterNY would comment "fair enough".

Old 02-09-2009, 05:57 AM

293 posts, read 1,106,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Sweetatlantapeach, first thing I wanted to point out from the stats you posted about the Clayton County vs. Henry County (which I'm not sure how long ago those stats were posted) is that the cost per student for Clayton County is not the $5100 a year that is posted (for Clayton it is more like $2400/yr). Secondly, although people vote in who ever they want to govern over them how often do they have a say as to where their money goes? If there are budget cuts in any county, the first place people cut budgets are starting with schools (which is part of my point to begin with). If you or I actually had a say about where and how our money is spent we would have been able to have better fiscal control over these stimulis packages, but you and I know this it not how politics works.

Then you touched on if everyone could go to the same school there would be over crowding. Listen, these affidavits are making these schools operate like private schools. If all of these schools were regulated the same, had the same money going to it, have the same level of standards, even the same environment standards, there would be no need for parents to move cross town and or lie about where they live to get their children educated. It would make the education system more equal/fair.

And, no I don't know you just like you don't know the parent of 6 who was arrested. I think you are judging her. I judge people too, no one is perfect we are human and that will happen as long as we live. But what I was asking you to do was put things into perspective and imagine yourself in her shoes. Also, put yourself in the shoes of parents who are trying their best for their kids that things just don't go as they had planned. Things are progressively get worse for some.

TheS5, how do you know that the education isn't starting at home & or that they aren't doing everything they can to assist their kids with the parents in "undisireable" school districts? Walk-up, most parents want and try their best to give their kids above and beyond what they had and most of the times just can not afford to change their circumstances.
Well, if you think I'm judging her, everyone is entitled to their opinion; I'm not going to lose sleep over the fact that this woman, for WHATEVER reason, broke the law.

Affidavits are not making these schools operate like private schools. The difference between private school and public school is that there is tuition to cover the cost of learning in those institutions.

Answer this question for me. Who's going to foot the expenditures for the children who can go to any school they want, regardless of income? Affidavits are making sure that county tax payer money is going for those residents that pay some kind of taxes. If you can give me a rational answer for the above, I will rest my case.

There is no justification for breaking the law. I have no sympathy for Clayton County. As I stated in an earlier post, a loss of accreditation is no justification for breaking the law. Clayton County was on the road to losing their accreditation way before the economy got bad so this has nothing to do with the economy at this point.

I don't have to put myself in her shoes.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
An interesting article in the paper today, and a good one for new and existing residents to read about putting down false addresses so your kid(s) can attend schools in other districts here....

Mother gets felony for out-of-district student | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/stories/2009/02/07/felony_henry_school.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_news tab - broken link)

In other words - don't do it.
At first I was thinking its ok for a mother to put her child in a good system, until I read this...

“I’ve never heard of a parent going to jail for taking care of their kids,” said Hale, a bartender and single mother of six children. “I’ve heard of parents going to jail for not taking care of their kids. But taking care of their kids? That’s crazy.”

Pure arrogance!!!

And now for Cooly's take.

This lady lives in Clayton, her sister is a lawyer, now she is trying to put here 18 year old son in a better school? Hmmm

Sounds to me like this boy has beef with some of the male students(thugs) at his old school. At 18 I would think you are at best a senior in HS, at 18 now she wants to put her child in a better school? If I was a Henry County parent I would not want the offspring of ghetto single mother at the same school my child goes to. Nope! Send him back to Clayton to deal with the thugs. I am curious to how many of these 6 children have the same last name.....hmmmm interesting. If one is trying to save their child you start in 1st or 2nd grade, not 12th...by then it is too late. They deserve the penalty. I get the whole lying on address forms to get your child in a better situation, but at 18? cmon.......One sister is a lawyer the other is a bartender? Let me repeat that,

One sister is a lawyer the other is a bartender?

I wonder who the loser in the family is? Pay the fine!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 AM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Atlanta Peach View Post
If you read the article closely, the mom claimed to have moved the child because of the "company they were keeping" not necessarily Clayton's accreditation issues. If that was the truth, how dumb of an excuse of that? As if they could not have gotten involved in the same thing in Henry County?

What people don't realize is supplies and school necessities are allotted per child; so much tax-payer money is allocated for each child. I think the average is like $3000 per child, some more. This takes care of desks, textbooks, and other things that will provide the child with a solid education. Of course the other fancy materials either come from Title One money or the teacher's pocket. This is TAX PAYER money. Therefore, if you do not reside in a county to pay the taxes to contribute to this, then maybe out of district residents should pay tuition.

It is so important before we have kids to plan, plan, plan, and save, save, save, so you are not in a situation to have to settle for a cheap home in a horrible school district, although many residents living in Clayton could've avoided that area because that has been a not-so-desirable school district for a LONG TIME. But, many people have to play with the cards that they are dealt and situations are unpreventable, so in that case, you need to make up for what your school is lacking at home. Regardless of what happened or why, the bottom line is if you do not reside at an address in a particular district, do not try to send your child there. Period. It's a rule some people don't like, but rules are rules.

And with the increasing class sizes next year, I am sure the radar is going to be even stronger.
See bold print.

*in my best Snagglepuss voice*

Heavens to Murgatroyd!! Sweet Atlanta Peach for Prez 2012! Rep Point....Exit Stage Left!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 AM

3,735 posts, read 8,066,849 times
cmtiger, first of all let's put things into prospective you don't know me and this isn't about me just my spin and opinion about things. Secondly, NO I have never had to lie and use an address and I don't no anyone who does to get their kids into a better school. My points and I'm not sure how people don't get it is that I have a problem with a felony and also have a problem with where our educational system is as it should be equal for all across the board. The way in which things are designed right now does not create a solution to the bigger problem.

Atlantapeach, how these schools operate are not as different as private schools. Private schools only one set of parents have to pay for education. With public schools it comes from everyone who pay their taxes, should the people who don't have kids or who have raised their kids be exempt from paying taxes that benefit education? There some where is a cost and nothing is free and all education systems can turn away a child including a public school. If I know I am indirectly supporting the public schools I don't have a problem with letting kids from other areas come to my children's school. I've answered your question several times about who can foot the bill but the many questions I possed to you, you have not answered. In terms of Clayton County being on the road for lossing their accreditation, I'm not sure on the history nor care to really know. Sometimes, where the tax payer thinks their money is going does not quit make it there. But if children who can't elect and or choose where they go to school who also diverse a good education I have a moral problem with this, because uneducated kids become our worst nightmare.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Interesting. As a Canadian, I've been flabbergasted by the tax troubles of the Obama administration nominees, and by some of the assertions on this thread. In Canada, income tax compliance is very high, and people are law-abiding, because that's what Canadians do. If they don't like the law, they campaign to get it changed.

Down here in the US, there's quite a cultural difference apparent. Many Americans think that compliance with the law is something you do when it suits you, you agree with it, and it doesn't get in the way of your other priorities (such as putting your kids in a good school, or having more disposable income).

If jjordan's parent(s) made a false statement to register her or him in school, that was wrong. The law does not, I presume, say it's OK to register in any school district where you have a childless tax paying relative. Making up your own exceptions to the law is not right, and it's bizarre to me (although seemingly, typical of the American attitude) that MisterNY would comment "fair enough".
There was some sarcasm there if you could read between the lines. Read my first post on the issue. You would see that I was being facetious.
No need to get into stereotypes. Who says I'm a full blood American to begin with? You dont know me to make such generalizations. I do agree with the rest of what you said though.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM

297 posts, read 1,538,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Bay area, NO ONE is preventing this woman from moving to Henry County. You act like there are guards at the county line turning folks away.

There are no laws preventing anyone from any race or socioeconomic circumstance from moving there. Henry County has housing at all price points. They have public housing, subsidized housing, regular market rate housing. She can get whatever she needs. It's the same case with Fulton, Cobb, Marietta, Fayette, etc, etc....

She is paying taxes to Clayton.. not Henry. A large percentage of our school budgets are funded through local taxation. Therefore, if she scams her kids into another district, she is stealing from that district. FYI, nearly 40% of Henry County kids are low income. She is stealing from all those low income families who are sacrificing to get their kids in Henry County Schools. The low income Henry County kids have a little less because she is cheating. I wonder how they feel about that?

I get the impression from your posts that perhaps you have children or other relatives that are illegally enrolled outside of their district. If that is the case, do your kids/nieces/nephews/friends' kids enjoy lying every day? If they eventually lie to you or cheat on a test or lie on a college/employment application... If they steal from someone.... what will you tell them? Lying is OK sometimes? When....., exactly, is lying OK? Is it OK to steal when you can't actually see what you stole? Is it OK to steal if your kids feel that someone has more than they do? Is it OK to lie if it benefits them or their family?

The scariest thing about this whole residency issue is that the folks that think that cheating is OK don't have the reasoning skills to see that it is not only legally wrong but also morally wrong, and they are raising kids with the same faulty moral barometer. To them, honesty and integrity are luxuries for the rich. Ironic isn't it?

And.. no... I see no difference morally between false swearing to fake residency and stealing a credit card number. The only difference I guess is that the false swearing is more likely to hurt poor kids while the credit card theft only directly hurts credit card companies. Also, I do not see faking residency as something limited to the poor. We have a ton of upper middle class folks faking residency in our district. Is is OK for poor families but not OK for rich/middle class families?

Maybe you don't like local funding of public schools. Maybe you feel that we should have free enrollment for all schools. However, that is not our current system. Frankly, I'd love to see free enrollment to all schools... including vouchers for private schools. However, we are not there yet and the county/city funding systems that we have are not designed to handle hoards of cheaters. Therefore, we are stuck for now with the laws that we have on the books, and our citizens are bound to abide by them until they can change them.

Plus this woman could have pled out on a lesser charge.. but she decided to take a chance on a jury agreeing with you. The jury didn't agree with you - they agreed with me instead. She chose to take that chance, and she lost. I have no pity - except for her embarrassed kids. Hopefully, her kids learned that lying has consequences so I guess it may have been for the best in the long run.
I am in complete and total agreement with you but especially the bolded part. Generally speaking, the people who illegally move across school district lines fail to realize that it hurts every kid who is legally there. I know that it may be better for your child, but have you stopped to think about how your actions affect the other children? We have become a very selfish society (I did not want to play by the rules because it does not suit me, I do not want to pay my taxes because I would rather have a bigger house, and the list goes on........ but I do want everyone else to follow the rules), and this is the perfect example. In fact there are posters trying to explain why it is OK to be selfish! It is not OK. If you do not like your school system, then move. If you cannot move, pay to send your child to a private school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta