Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
MisterNY, yeap I totally understand where you are coming from.
Glad we're eye to eye....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 03:44 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,359,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I think I made it clear that the renter's money so to speak pays the homeowner's mortgage. The homeowner pays taxes, so without going way up the ladder like you did, the renter does pay. If the renter happens to have kids that go to a school in that particular district, they benefit from their parents/guardians who are paying to live there. That's all I meant. No the renter does not write out a check to the County/City for the property taxes, but he pays to live in a certain area, and enjoy the benefits (or lackthereof) of that area. You're trying to complicate it. I said what I had to say. You want to run around chasing your tail, be my guest.
This is true because a persons rent is based on the area they are renting in so with that being said if a persons/areas property taxes are higher wouldnt that affect the price of the rent?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:57 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,523,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze22 View Post
(I'm not even going to stress myself out of coolyfett's nonsense).
Interesting. I wouldn't want the offspring of a ghetto monkey attending the same school as my child, but hey that just me. Leave the low quality people in the low quality schools.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 PM

82 posts, read 335,630 times
What a tool. ^

Old 02-11-2009, 07:50 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,066,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
An interesting article in the paper today, and a good one for new and existing residents to read about putting down false addresses so your kid(s) can attend schools in other districts here....

Mother gets felony for out-of-district student | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/henry/stories/2009/02/07/felony_henry_school.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_news tab - broken link)

In other words - don't do it.

In Indiana if you wish for your child to go to a school district that you dont live in. The State will pay the tuition. So there is no need to provide false address..in Indiana.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,541 times
Any good landlord will tell you its the market that dictates prices and would rather lower the price to keep their property rented so even if they wanted to jack prices up every year they know it won't work, especially in this economy. And if they do the tenant can move down the street to someone who offers a fair price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
True, but since everyone and their mother wanted to be a flipping investor, that's their problem. Not to sound harsh, but some had it coming. Some are decent, and just wanted to keep their extra home maybe for their kid(s), or retirement etc. Those I have no problem with. Those who bought with the intention to keep jacking these prices, I could care less for. Let them pay for their greed, and deal with their tenants. I dont want to get off topic though.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:16 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Any good landlord will tell you its the market that dictates prices and would rather lower the price to keep their property rented so even if they wanted to jack prices up every year they know it won't work, especially in this economy. And if they do the tenant can move down the street to someone who offers a fair price.
Competition is a good thing.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM

51 posts, read 140,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
In Indiana if you wish for your child to go to a school district that you dont live in. The State will pay the tuition. So there is no need to provide false address..in Indiana.
Well, not exactly...

"The state of Indiana does offer some choice within the public education system. The Education Commission of the States reports that Indiana offers open enrollment within the Indianaopolis school district and a volutary inter-district open enrollment policy for students in other districts to request transfers if they have been provided consent by their current school."
School Choice: Indiana

"Seymour Community Schools will not allow students who live outside the school district to attend Seymour schools in most cases."
School blocks district transfers | students, policy, state - News and Photos - Seymour News

"Indiana's massive new property tax legislation has school administrators wondering and worrying about the long-standing practice of requiring students to attend the school district in which they live and charging tuition for transfers. With the state now picking up the tab for most school operating expenses, couldn't parents argue that all districts should be open to all Indiana students?"
Citizens' Commission on Civil Rights - Let them Transfer?

Old 08-10-2015, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42 View Post
We used to live in the Sope Creek school district in Cobb County. This is an extremely sought-after school, and it was interesting to see the license plates in the car pool line from Dekalb and Fulton Counties, and I also knew of several children from other Cobb districts that were in school there. Some of these cases were probably divorce situations, but many were cheaters. I never turned anyone in or tried, but I did inwardly resent the idea that resources intended for my kids were being drawn away by cheaters.

I will turn someone into the proper people in a minute.

Old 08-10-2015, 09:19 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,780,501 times
Metro Atlanta needs bussing.

I grew up in metro Hartford, and our suburban high school had around 50 students from Hartford. It's the law there. It wasn't true diversity because it was usually the creme-de-la-creme of Hartford students that got bussed, but it did give them an opportunity they wouldn't have had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm42
it was interesting to see the license plates in the car pool line from Dekalb and Fulton Counties
Doesn't mean anything. People in metro are mobile and they may have moved right before school and not changed their plates yet (though they could get tax penalty for that). Also, it could be relatives driving their grand children, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta