Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 12:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Are you and your sister twins?
No - worse...she is two years younger than me. You can imagine how irritating she was when we were growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 12:50 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Adding to it????
Yes...yours comes across as egotistical, just from the oppopsite end of the spectrum.

And what is wrong with some Atlanta boosterism in THE ATLANTA SECTION? We certainly don't find it anywhere else on this forum, so it's a welcome change from the rest of the threads. Each city's section of threads is a good place to have positive discussions about your city...call it egos if you want, but the rest of us see it as a positive discussion.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Boosterism is fine.

But so what the other metros have a "-" followed by another town.

I don't see what is "more" or "better" about it.

It's not positive, it's illogical. Having a smaller city down the road doesn't make a metro better (or worse). An area either has amenities and merits that people like or don't like overall.

Atlanta has positives and negatives like anywhere else.

And it's fine to discuss positive things about Atlanta, which there are many things to discuss.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:31 PM

6 posts, read 9,270 times
Default Won't Happen

Atlanta won't have a sidekick, because there is no other major city nearby. Even if Cobb incorporated, it wouldn't be a sidekick. Just like Grindin said, that would be like Jacksonville being called the largest city in FL, even though it technically is. Sidekick cities developed separately from their "sidekicks" on their own, over long periods of history. Eventually the two "merged". The closest major city to Atlanta is probably Nashville or Charlotte, and those are way too far for sidekick status.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:52 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Boosterism is fine.

But so what the other metros have a "-" followed by another town.

I don't see what is "more" or "better" about it.

It's not positive, it's illogical. Having a smaller city down the road doesn't make a metro better (or worse). An area either has amenities and merits that people like or don't like overall.

Atlanta has positives and negatives like anywhere else.

And it's fine to discuss positive things about Atlanta, which there are many things to discuss.
If you don't like it, go to another thread. Complaining about the thread adds nothing constructive to this post. Besides, if you had read this thread carefully, you'd realize there are people who have discussed reasons as to why Atlanta will NEVER have a sidekick city for the time being, including myself.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
In case anyone hasn't figured it out by now...this person loves to hang around the Atlanta threads and take jabs at the city anytime he gets a chance. I mean, I understand that there is NOTHING going on where he is, but this is just ugly. "Ignore" has served me well in this case.

I thought we were pals?

Old 03-13-2009, 09:55 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,143,192 times
Quote:
If you don't like it, go to another thread. Complaining about the thread adds nothing constructive to this post. Besides, if you had read this thread carefully, you'd realize there are people who have discussed reasons as to why Atlanta will NEVER have a sidekick city for the time being, including myself
Calm down, I was merely pointing out how worked up and absurd some of the comments are about nothing.

Relax and move on.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:08 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,440,711 times
The only city even close to large enough to be considered Atlanta's sidekick is Sandy Springs (Macon is too far away really and it's not growing very much. In a few years Sandy Springs will be larger probably than Macon).

The problem is Sandy Springs really doesn't have any idenity of it's own. It's just like an extension of North Atlanta or a gateway to Alpharetta.

Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,252,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
The only city even close to large enough to be considered Atlanta's sidekick is Sandy Springs (Macon is too far away really and it's not growing very much. In a few years Sandy Springs will be larger probably than Macon).

The problem is Sandy Springs really doesn't have any idenity of it's own. It's just like an extension of North Atlanta or a gateway to Alpharetta.
Dang, no love for Roswell? That whole area does tend to blur into one blob...When I first moved here, I would call the Perimeter Mall area SandunWoodySprings or Dunsandywood.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:06 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Unincorporated areas of counties are really no different in practice than cities, just with a larger geographic area.
This logic is the biggest problem I have with GA and Atlanta metro. Ideally, yeah, I can understand the same principle is at play. But personally I prefer 1 major making big decisions and not commissioners in counties.

It's just my personal preference. But it's my personal opinion that there is not one single county jurisdiction in GA that I would ever live in or buy a home in. I just prefer a real city, that's just me. I find counties to be unreliable as far as getting the most from your taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta