Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
That is what I posted earlier as my understanding. The laws inhibited new cities from incorporating but there was nothing about an already established city annexing land. It is lilmusket that thinks these laws kept cities from annexing land.

The reason the existing suburbs don't have larger footprints is that most in the metro area like their county government and don't want to be annexed. The major annexations in Cobb have primarily been pre development, the developer asks to be annexed so he can get a higher density zoning than the county will allow. When the area is already developed, it has to be approved in a vote by citizens living in the area and most people want the status quo.

The exception to this on a larger scale was Roswell and Alpharetta. Look at maps of these two from back in the eighties and you will see that they took in large swaths of land and were much larger in land area than any other suburb. This was the precursor to the current total incorporation of all of North Fulton as residents in these areas wanted to be in these cities because of frustrations with Fulton County.

If one of the Cobb cities to this day try to annex any kind of large swath, the county always fights it. That is why the metro Atlanta map is not colored in like a map of DFW or any number of metro areas in your Rand McNally road atlas. Counties in metro Atlanta are practically large suburban cities anyway.
Yep...you're preachin' to the choir/converted here, St. Marks... (you know my knowledge on here in relation to this subject, man...!)

And I knew you understood about the 3-mile incorporation rule...I just quoted your post to emphasize the point to lilmusket...(I should have posted better...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Yep...you're preachin' to the choir/converted here, St. Marks... (you know my knowledge on here in relation to this subject, man...!)

And I knew you understood about the 3-mile incorporation rule...I just quoted your post to emphasize the point to lilmusket...(I should have posted better...)
No prob! I know we think a lot alike. Just wanted the record to show.... as if that made any difference anyway.

You and I just want the Atlanta metro map in the Rand McNally to look more colorful, that's our issue.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM

16,708 posts, read 29,542,355 times
Quote:
No prob! I know we think a lot alike. Just wanted the record to show.... as if that made any difference anyway.

You and I just want the Atlanta metro map in the Rand McNally to look more colorful, that's our issue.
Yep, we do...and (I believe) it would help foster community/sense of place in the metro, prevent rampant, tree-cover-destroying development, as well as prevent areas from changing (for the worse) so quickly.

Sigh...

Old 03-11-2009, 09:33 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Newark is New York's sidekick?
No it's not. I was born in Newark and I'm pretty sure that it's not even in the same state as NYC.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:36 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
Quote:

you're certainly not alone.

many atlantans on this board share your complex.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
you're certainly not alone.

many atlantans on this board share your complex.
Do you agree with me that the Atlanta is totally underserved in Rand McNally? Barely a quarter page for the metro area, doesn't show any of North Fulton north of the river, only a sliver of Gwinnett and only a small portion of Cobb.

Several comparable metro areas like DFW, Houston, Detroit, the Twin Cities all have full pages, several smaller metro areas (Kansas City, St. Louis, Phoenix, Pittsburgh) have half pages. The Norfolk/Hampton Roads area of Virginia has better coverage.

Just a beef of mine. Let's start a petition!

Old 03-12-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Do you agree with me that the Atlanta is totally underserved in Rand McNally? Barely a quarter page for the metro area, doesn't show any of North Fulton north of the river, only a sliver of Gwinnett and only a small portion of Cobb.

Several comparable metro areas like DFW, Houston, Detroit, the Twin Cities all have full pages, several smaller metro areas (Kansas City, St. Louis, Phoenix, Pittsburgh) have half pages. The Norfolk/Hampton Roads area of Virginia has better coverage.

Just a beef of mine. Let's start a petition!

no not really. to be honest i don't care if atlanta is on the map or not.

i don't know what the sales projections are for the printed atlas these days, but i've been using google maps since they came out.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 AM

Quote:
no not really. to be honest i don't care if atlanta is on the map or not.

i don't know what the sales projections are for the printed atlas these days, but i've been using google maps since they came out.
Guess I asked the wrong person. South Georgia envy of Atlanta is rampant on these posts.

I meant South Georgia as a region, not you personally

Rand McNallys are really cheap at WalMart. As I can't carry my computer in my car, I still love a printed map.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Guess I asked the wrong person. South Georgia envy of Atlanta is rampant on these posts.

I meant South Georgia as a region, not you personally

Rand McNallys are really cheap at WalMart. As I can't carry my computer in my car, I still love a printed map.

Its not envy. We just don't feel the need to be reassured of ourselves as much as atlantans. We do our own thing and don't worry about what the rest of the country thinks about us when they see our little page in the atlas.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Its not envy. We just don't feel the need to be reassured of ourselves as much as atlantans. We do our own thing and don't worry about what the rest of the country thinks about us when they see our little page in the atlas.
Well, I have been a map geek since I was five when we got a Britannica set with a world atlas about as big as I was, so I am probably guilty as charged. But it is also a practical need to get around in an area. Here in DFW, the whole page shows my suburb of McKinney which is as far north of Dallas as Cumming is to Atlanta. Someone traveling to Atlanta would have many reasons to get to Alpharetta or Gwinnett or Kennesaw. None of these areas are on the Atlanta map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta