Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2009, 02:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times

Advertisements

Just a word of caution about the website greatschools.com. Having read school reviews from this site off and on for years, I finally decided to submit a review of a school myself. I was extremely factual, tactful and respectful. I didn't write anything that I would not have signed my name to. It was brief and succinct and balanced with both positive and negative comments. I received a response from greatschools .com saying they could not post my review as the review represented an opinion that was a serious allegation and should be brought to the attention of school administration instead.

Though I respect their review process and their need to provide fair insights to their readers, this experience makes me view their ratings differently as they are clearly slanted toward the positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM

115 posts, read 424,221 times
That may explain why there are never any negative comments, just negative ratings!

Old 03-30-2009, 07:40 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl73 View Post
That may explain why there are never any negative comments, just negative ratings!

I've seen plenty of negative comments on greatschools.net...

Old 03-30-2009, 09:45 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I received a response from greatschools .com saying they could not post my review as the review represented an opinion that was a serious allegation and should be brought to the attention of school administration instead.
Well, did you make a serious allegation that should have been brought to the school administration instead? Offering an opinion and making an accusation or allegation are two different things, if that's what happened.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
You might get a general idea about a school from an online web site but you never really know 'who' responds.
Best to visit the school for yourself if possible.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
One of the things about Great Schools is that some schools seem to have parents lined up and ready to answer critics by posting positive comments. So, someone comes in and writes something like "discipline is out of control, class sizes are to large and academics are mediocre" and two days later, enough new comments have been posted (sometimes not even acknowledging the negative comment) that negative comment has been posted a couple of pages back!

Fascinating.

Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 AM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
Forget the reviews. Look at test scores, demographics, etc....Yes, visit the school. We took a tour and discussed the curriculum prior to enrolling our kids.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:19 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,385,300 times
Ive written negative comments on greatschools had no issues. Test scores mean squat, there are a ton of children that are extremely smart and average and do not test well..My son is in 8th grade pulling A's and B's and he cant test for anything, so I have to disagree..it doesnt make up what the school is really about...You need to find parents that send their kids there, make a trip and ask for a tour, and see the kids reactions, when we visited our school the kids were very happy and laughing etc, I knew they were happy and alot of the times that tells alot....speak to the administration as well....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta