Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 07:19 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times

Advertisements

Decatur(the downtown area, anyways) seems to be everything that Atlanta isn't: Well run, very diverse without making a big stink about it, clean, and relatively safe. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten any accolades at all for doing so well in a metropolitan area, given all of the doom & gloom that the media heaps on us on a daily basis.

I don't know who the Mayor of Decatur is, but having seen the professionalism of the employees, that's probably a good sign. What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM

128 posts, read 352,986 times
I would say the Square is the best feature of Decatur. That and the Druid Hills neighborhood.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:26 PM

Oh yeah I forgot to name my favorite thing about Decatur: It's living proof that a community can be both diverse & cohesive, especially in the area of quality of life, a trait that is sorely needed in the rest of Georgia.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Hey cmtiger...

are you still thinking of moving to Dunwoody, etc.?

The fact that your kids can walk until they graduate really caint be beat!
Nah, I was just kvetching.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:19 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Decatur(the downtown area, anyways) seems to be everything that Atlanta isn't: Well run, very diverse without making a big stink about it, clean, and relatively safe. I'm surprised that it hasn't gotten any accolades at all for doing so well in a metropolitan area, given all of the doom & gloom that the media heaps on us on a daily basis.

I don't know who the Mayor of Decatur is, but having seen the professionalism of the employees, that's probably a good sign. What do you guys think?
It's been a few years--perhaps a decade but Decatur has been recognized several times nationally as an outstanding community.

I like the blend of the old and the new in Decatur and the shops and restaurants.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:25 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post

I wouldn't call Decatur "very diverse"...but you can't really compare a small city/town like Decatur to a large city like Atlanta - it's not a fair comparison. I imagine the mayor of Decatur having a much less demanding agenda than the mayor of Atlanta.

Quote:
Races in Decatur:

• White Non-Hispanic (64.7%)
  • Black (30.5%)
  • Hispanic (1.7%)
  • Two or more races (1.4%)
  • American Indian (0.7%)
  • Other race (0.6%)
http://www.city-data.com/city/Decatur-Georgia.html

I like the way Decatur successfully coexists within the huge metropolitan Atlanta region without competing with Atlanta...Decatur quietly gets recognized for quality results. Like many other in-town areas, Decatur went into steep decline in the 70s...but has returned as one of the best places to live in the entire region.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-08-2009 at 05:35 AM..

Old 05-08-2009, 06:23 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
I would say the Square is the best feature of Decatur. That and the Druid Hills neighborhood.
Sadly, Decatur cannot claim Druid Hills. Part of DH lies within the city of Atlanta, the other part in unincorporated DeKalb County.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrie View Post
I don't live in Decatur, but I love Your Dekalb Farmer's Market!
That's ok. Your Dekalb Farmer's Market doesn't live in Decatur either.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I wouldn't call Decatur "very diverse"...but you can't really compare a small city/town like Decatur to a large city like Atlanta - it's not a fair comparison. I imagine the mayor of Decatur having a much less demanding agenda than the mayor of Atlanta.
You are SUCH an Atlanta booster... but I mean that in a nice way, so don't flog me, Deac!

No, I wasn't trying to compare the two cities. But I CAN point out relative LACK of controversy that Decatur attracts and the obscenely gratuitous amount of controversy that Atlanta attracts, right? But I guess I could've thrown in Lithonia as another example of how a city SHOULDN'T be governed but I would really, really, REALLY get depressed then.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:49 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,100,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
That's ok. Your Dekalb Farmer's Market doesn't live in Decatur either.
That's right. It's technically in Scottdale, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta