Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times

Advertisements

I know that, that's exactly my point. Did you even read the post?!

I said it was a STEREOTYPE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
What are you talking about? I am an Atlanta native, and you have no idea what you are talking about, so quit while you're ahead. Atlanta is not known for record deals, or for people coming here to find one. You are confusing it with Los Angeles.

Los Angeles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM

184 posts, read 511,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I know that, that's exactly my point. Did you even read the post?!

I said it was a STEREOTYPE!

But it is not a stereotype that is associated with Atlanta. Granted it is a small sample size, but no one here has ever heard anyone say that before.

I thought it was interesting as I had never heard that either. Atlanta is home to many popular hip-hop artists and I guess it would make sense that many of them got record deals in the city, but don't think Atlanta being a place for record deals is a commonly held view. Nashville and LA are the ones that came to my mind.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,178,585 times
You may not have heard it before but it does not mean it's not said. NOt only have I heard it, I've read on CD........let's just let it go.

Do you think you know everything someone in Chicago says about Atlanta?

I'm done with this......

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightfromatown View Post
But it is not a stereotype that is associated with Atlanta. Granted it is a small sample size, but no one here has ever heard anyone say that before.

I thought it was interesting as I had never heard that either. Atlanta is home to many popular hip-hop artists and I guess it would make sense that many of them got record deals in the city, but don't think Atlanta being a place for record deals is a commonly held view. Nashville and LA are the ones that came to my mind.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:48 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:

It very much IS the stereotype for Atlanta. I'm a close-to-native (lived in the area since I was 2) and have heard this stereotype all over the world when I tell people that I from Atlanta. Shortly after commenting on layovers in Hartsfield and the Braves, generally someone would mention the rap culture in the city. While pop musicians may go to LA and country musicians to Nashville, rap and hip hop artists looking for mainstream success are known to go to Atlanta.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Quote:
You may not have heard it before but it does not mean it's not said. NOt only have I heard it, I've read on CD........let's just let it go.

Do you think you know everything someone in Chicago says about Atlanta?

I'm done with this......
Unfortunately you've just experienced another aspect of Atlanta's message boards at least, which seems to the belief that ones own personal experiences of Atlanta is the only one that exists.

I guess many people just aren't aware of the depth of Atlanta's music industry because it is predominately (but not limited to) African American music genres. I've read articles that estimate the economic impact of the music industry to be about $1 billion locally.

Last edited by J2rescue; 06-27-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-27-2009, 07:53 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Default Fyi

I found this on a state website. Obviously, the lions share of the industry is in metro Atlanta.

Quote:
According to the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia, the current estimated economic impact of the music industry in Georgia is approaching $2 billion dollars annually. An earlier study developed by Georgia State University credited the industry with creating 11,000 jobs and generating $54.3 million in tax revenues.

Georgia’s music industry includes over 1000 establishments, a significant number of which are recording studios, including several that have been awarded GRAMMYS®, Dove Awards, American Music Awards, Emmys and Oscars for their contributions to stellar music and film recordings.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:36 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Actually, I actually HAVE heard that before. It was when I was in the Twin Cities, though, and not down here.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:35 PM

750 posts, read 2,275,970 times
Quote:
I thought I would say they were super cool. This was a group that comes to Chicago every summer to do volunteer work in Chicago homeless shelters.

I was one of the lucky shelter managers that was able to be graced with their presence. Talk about very southern.....they nailed it.

They were natives and man were they cool.....they wanted to take me back with them. After meeting them.......I hope I can meet more "good folks" like them when I make my move.

My point is, I know they DO NOT represent ALL OF Atlanta but they gave me a ideal of what the "real" Atlanta is.

I get so tired of all the darn dumb stereotypes I hear about Atlanta.

If I hear another person say "everyone in ATL is looking for a record deal" I'll scream.

Kudos to those ATL natives the represented ATL the way it should be.

Not sure for all the attacks when you were simply just saying nice things about folks from Atlanta but hell I appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:47 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPaul View Post
Not sure for all the attacks when you were simply just saying nice things about folks from Atlanta but hell I appreciate it.
No kidding. Ron, you obviously met real Southerners which are a rare sight in Atlanta but thanks for the compliments.

All the transplants here are a giant PITA but I guess we're stuck with them, but don't let them try to pass themselves off as natives.

I've never seen so many whiney crybabies in all of my life.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 PM

360 posts, read 1,010,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggs1 View Post
I'm glad you had a good experience with the Atlanta folks. The majority of southerners are real cool, laid back people; they like to make you feel welcome. I'm a southerner myself.

Don't mind Atlanta Greg, he means well. *Whisper*He's a transplant, he doesn't know better. LOL (jokes)

Oh southerners will talk about you behind your back

Of course! It's RUDE to talk about people to their faces. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta