Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 11:31 PM

6 posts, read 9,626 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Im very new to the ATL area, been here for a month, don't know anyone, and am already breaking the lease at the apartment that I am at currently.

I'm a single female, 25, med student starting my rotations , and just looking for a nice apartment/neighborhood. I live at IBIS trail on Clairmont currently by the way. The apartments are great inside but poor location, not residential, fruit flies all over that don't go away, and so much more. I get sad just talking about it and had nothing but bad luck since I moved in

My budget is 850/mth not including utilities. I've heard about areas in buckhead but after reading reviews, I feel hesitant to move. I need an area where it's safe enough that I can go out for a jog and park my car.
Also heard of downtown decatur, virginia highlands, lenox park. I know its very broad and probably at extremes part of town, but I just don't know the area well enough to make judgements.

Does anyone know where in those I should look into, exact apartment names, or even any other suggestions would be really appreciated. Also a mature crowd around would be great.

By the way the rotations will be done all over ATL: atlanta med center, emory, dekalb medical. Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:08 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
There are a number of apt complexes in/around Sheridan Rd, between Briarcliff/N.Druid Hills and Cheshire Bridge Rd which is a rather central location that includes many of your criteria.

atlanta apts sheridan rd - Google Search

ProMove is an apt locator service that has been recommended to posters previously.

hth

Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 PM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablady View Post
I've heard about areas in buckhead but after reading reviews, I feel hesitant to move. I need an area where it's safe enough that I can go out for a jog and park my car.
What did you read about Buckhead that makes you hesitant? If it's safety, I see people jog around there religiously. I was over there a couple of days ago and it might as well have been the Peachtree Road Race. Folks seemed to go out for a jog out there all at the same time like clock work. Buckhead is also one of the wealthiest, if not the wealthiest neighborhoods, in Atlanta. This doesn't mean there's no crime, but the most you'd probably be worrying about is your property, not your personal safety.

Back to your question, I would suggest look into apartments in the Lenox Park development between Roxboro Rd and N.Druid Hills Rd (this is not the same as the Morningside/Lenox Park area further south near midtown). It's clean, upscale, and it's walking distance to a large selection of retail (Target, Staples, Publix and two of Atlanta's most popular malls, Phipps and Lenox, among others). It's almost like a city within a city--it feels like a retreat because the area is not right off of a major street. In fact, in my 20+ years of living in Atlanta I never knew it existed until this week. Again, that is for your safety concerns.

The Grove at Lenox Park has some apts in your budget Grove at Lenox Park, The Apartments For Rent in Atlanta, Georgia - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com. No personal experience with them, but it's an example of what you can find over there. If you visit that area, you'd have a good selection of places to choose from. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2009, 08:26 PM

Great. Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I heard, is the crime in buckhead.You're absolutley right about Buckhead, but I dont care too much to be in the "trendy" part of town. I realize it's the city and there's bound to be crime, but I would like to be in an area where there's no drunken college students smashing on your door at 3 am : (, but more professional, business people around. I still want the city's energy around, and would love to walk to restaurants and shops. I would love to feel like I am in the city, but still have a nice neighborhood, and as far as amenities go ( as I know no one usually post them) I would like a nice spacious apartment. So basically a nice apartment, affordable, and great area, is that too much to ask? I can push to $1000/mth if I really love the apartment.

I would love to know Atlanta, I just havn't found the location. Thanks takeahike and bizchick, I'll look up those places you suggested. How is the sandy springs area? Atlantic station? Midtown? I just heard about these today.
Thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,868 times
The City of Decatur (30030) is a great place where you can actually walk to shops, restaurants, parks, an excellent library, and the MARTA rail station. They have concerts on the courthouse square, lots of annual events (book festival, "beach" festival, etc.), and it's just an all around great place to live. It's also very exceptionally convenient to Emory and DeKalb Medical Center and a quick commute to Atlanta Medical Center.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 AM

927 posts, read 2,225,354 times
If the nightlife and the mishaps it brings is a concern in Buckhead, then I would agree that Downtown Decatur would be your speed, for the reasons intownhomes stated.

Btw, Buckhead is a pretty big area and professional overall. The area that formerly had the reputation of having a crazy nightlife was Buckhead Village, a concentrated area around Pharr Rd. Still, that area is nowhere near the nightspot it used to be as most of those clubs were shut down and are being developed into upscale real estate properties.

Downtown Decatur is a slower pace and a different kind of crowd. Not really more professional, but just more family oriented with people who are trying to be settled. You may not feel like you're in the city per-se but there is enough out there to keep you busy and it is fairly urban in terms of being pedestrian-friendly, having amenities and services in close proximity, convenience to public transpo, etc.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,870 times
Look at these places:
Calibre Woods (Lavista and Briarcliff)
Highland Square
Post Briarcliff
Post in Virginia Highland (I forget the name of the complex)

I don't recommend living in Atlantic Station. Also, even if some of the apts are advertising higher rents, it's worth it to walk into the leasing office and find out if they have specials. Another option is to let PROMOVE do the work for you. You can tell them exactly what you're looking for and not only will they narrow the options down they'll also get you deals because they get paid a commission for every rental they refer! It's a great business for the consumer and they helped me when I needed a place. They're also pretty honest about which complexes are better than others.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,737,870 times
also check these out:
Briar Hill Apartments - Home

Old 08-17-2009, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm still searching...! : )

Old 08-18-2009, 04:29 AM

288 posts, read 542,903 times
In my opinion, the closer you get to the center of downtown, the more crime there is. There are more older buildings with low rent which attract criminals.

I noticed you mentioned sandy springs. If you don't mind living 10 miles from the center of downtown, here's what I would do. Move to south dunwoddy...some apartments at I-285 and ashford dunwoody road. That is the location of peremiter mall and the dunwoody subway station which can take you anywhere. Most of the places have been built in the last 20-30 years and it is a nice, safe clean area. I grew up there and I highly recommend it. There is tons of shopping and restaurants nearby.

There is another post here about a guy from nyc moving and the names of the apartments are listed there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta