Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,569,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte;1592777
I feel like any city that can host the Olympics, have the world's busiest airport should have a better transit system. Atlanta has alot of fortune 500 companies. It's home to the best known soft drink company in the world. Atlanta should do better than what it has. The trains should be expanded to places like Canton and Woodstock.
The worlds busiest airport is in Chicago. Atlanta needs more Koreans & Mexicans....I love seeing them when around town. Even though I cant speak their language, I wish their percentage was higher. Their are only two well known soft drink firms, Atlanta has one due to drug attics during the civil war. Right place at right time. The Olympics were also in other none important cities. I nver understand the pride for it. Plus most of Atlanta population did not attend the Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 06:23 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
The worlds busiest airport is in Chicago. Atlanta needs more Koreans & Mexicans....I love seeing them when around town. Even though I cant speak their language, I wish their percentage was higher. Their are only two well known soft drink firms, Atlanta has one due to drug attics during the civil war. Right place at right time. The Olympics were also in other none important cities. I nver understand the pride for it. Plus most of Atlanta population did not attend the Olympics.
No. Hartsfield-Jackson International in Atlanta is the world's busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic. Source:Airports Council International

Other than that, my point is if there is a push for Atlanta to be a true international city, then it needs to have a better mass transit system than it currently has now. I can understand pride in the Olympics because it only happens every 4 years and it is when all of the world's athletes come together to compete on a global scale. If Atlanta could land that, then why not improve on other things in Atlanta?

Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM

To back on topic, How to make Atlanta better for me as an individual.

1. Double the population via transplants. So 11 million in metro population

2. Consolidated government...Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Clayton, Dougles becoming one consistent county, one consistent tax base & not this "my county is better than yours" syndrome we have now.

3. Diverse population. Too much of the same people, same close minded ideas & same stupid morals. Not enough of variety of people.

4. A better relationship between Atlanta & Georgia

5. Better ecomomy, where firms compete for the workforce. Im not that old, but I do remember when jobs were begging you to leave your current job to work for them. But this is a US problem not Atlanta issue.

Thats what I got so far.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
No. Hartsfield-Jackson International in Atlanta is the world's busiest airport in terms of passenger traffic. Source:Airports Council International

Other than that, my point is if there is a push for Atlanta to be a true international city, then it needs to have a better mass transit system than it currently has now. I can understand pride in the Olympics because it only happens every 4 years and it is when all of the world's athletes come together to compete on a global scale. If Atlanta could land that, then why not improve on other things in Atlanta?
Olympics is no major accomplishment subjectly speaking. To each his own. You have interest I dont. Chicago is the number 1 Airport after todays news current sites have not been updated yet. You will see in time. Are you afraid to lose that #1 title that Atlanta holds so dearly? Atlanta has other things.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Atlanta could be much better if it could just get its act together on the basics. With the tax rates being as high as they are, you'd think the city could do a better job with the fundamentals.

1. Sidewalks-there are long stretches of sidewalk that are buckled, uneven, and even nonexistent in my area. Some are downright hazardous. There's also brush, fences, and other obstructions that pedestrians pretty much have to walk in the street to get around. Where's the enforcement and upkeep?

2. Trash-This city has a huge trash problem. A lot of it seems to be ingrained in the culture. People just toss trash out the window when they can't be bothered with it anymore. Can't the city sweep at least the main thoroughfares? A lot of trash just sits in areas for months.

3. Policing-I think the reason has such a high crime crate and reputation is because police units are rarely seen on routine patrols. There's also a lot of loitering going on all over the place. A bunch of guys just hanging out at the gas station at night can't be good.

Those are just a few suggestions.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:52 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Atlanta could be much better if it could just get its act together on the basics. With the tax rates being as high as they are, you'd think the city could do a better job with the fundamentals.

1. Sidewalks-there are long stretches of sidewalk that are buckled, uneven, and even nonexistent in my area. Some are downright hazardous. There's also brush, fences, and other obstructions that pedestrians pretty much have to walk in the street to get around. Where's the enforcement and upkeep?

2. Trash-This city has a huge trash problem. A lot of it seems to be ingrained in the culture. People just toss trash out the window when they can't be bothered with it anymore. Can't the city sweep at least the main thoroughfares? A lot of trash just sits in areas for months.

3. Policing-I think the reason has such a high crime crate and reputation is because police units are rarely seen on routine patrols. There's also a lot of loitering going on all over the place. A bunch of guys just hanging out at the gas station at night can't be good.

Those are just a few suggestions.
This isn't just a city problem. In the suburbs, there is trash out there too. I see it first hand. It seems like some people just don't care. From what I gather, complacency is a big issue over all.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:58 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Olympics is no major accomplishment subjectly speaking.
Actually, it is. It's very much a big deal. Personal interest is irrelevant. That's like saying Wal-Mart really isn't a big company because I don't shop there.

Quote:
Chicago is the number 1 Airport after todays news current sites have not been updated yet.
What are you talking about? Hartsfield-Jackson is the world's busiest airport based on the latest figures. That's not debatable; that's a fact. United merging with Continental doesn't change past and present statistics, although it's certain to change future statistics. You should really learn the difference.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:44 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Unfortunately the city is so committed to massive payroll, pensions and benefits for city employees that there's very little money left for the things you mention. By the time they cover city payroll and pensions and pay the interest on loans, that's about it.

I agree that trash is an issue. Some parts of the city are as neat as a pin yet others are trashed out. Although the garbage trucks go everywhere it doesn't do much good if folks are just throwing their junk on the street.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
This isn't just a city problem. In the suburbs, there is trash out there too. I see it first hand. It seems like some people just don't care. From what I gather, complacency is a big issue over all.
Um, I live/work/play in Gwinnett, and we really don't have a litter problem. I have always been rather impressed with the county and it's maintenance of the right-of-ways. It did become a little lax last year during the budget crunch and subsequent tax increase. It was, however, immediately picked back up when the situation was dealt with. Also, we have a very really police presence in Gwinnett. Anyone who passes through knows that.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:50 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,842,169 times
OH GOD the Bitter trolls are out tonight!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta