Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2010, 08:31 PM

227 posts, read 494,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
However, San Diego's MTS is not much better than Atlanta's MARTA and the other metro area networks (CCT, Gwinett, GRTA). San Diego may have a better bus system, but when it comes to rail, light rail just cannot compete with heavy rail. If you live within walking distance or a short bus ride to a MARTA station, I'd say Atlanta's PT is more convenient. If you live out in the outer suburbs, like say Cherokee or Spaulding County versus North County San Diego, then the latter would be better off since there are two commuter rail lines.
we can argue light rail v heavy rail for days but San Diego runs one of the best light rail systems in the nation. they recently started plans to expand and upgrade and rail service towards the north county area. My beef with MARTA is it seems like no one on state level cares enough to let MARTA grow. Plus with CTran and Xpress's failures along with the big MARTA cuts taking place next month, it wouldn't surprise me if MARTA falls under soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
we can argue light rail v heavy rail for days but San Diego runs one of the best light rail systems in the nation. they recently started plans to expand and upgrade and rail service towards the north county area. My beef with MARTA is it seems like no one on state level cares enough to let MARTA grow. Plus with CTran and Xpress's failures along with the big MARTA cuts taking place next month, it wouldn't surprise me if MARTA falls under soon.
MARTA is too well-used to "fall under soon"...if it comes to that point, something will be done to save it. There are too many people who depend on it and use it regularly.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,372,544 times
I can't believe someone dredged up this old thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
My beef with MARTA is it seems like no one on state level cares enough to let MARTA grow. Plus with CTran and Xpress's failures along with the big MARTA cuts taking place next month, it wouldn't surprise me if MARTA falls under soon.
Part of MARTAs growth problems stem from the NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) attitude from both Cobb and Gwinnett counties, and to some extent North Fulton.

Local politicians didn't want MARTA there (because their constituents said "no") and the state politicians didn't have the guts to override them.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,329,676 times
best thing to do is to make the best of it, till you can move away...not every county, state, country is for everyone....

Old 08-16-2010, 11:14 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
After growing up and graduating from college in NC in '91, I came to Atlanta for 7 years, then went to LA for 4 years, followed by a year in Boston and 10 years in NYC.

I'm now back in Atlanta, because despite it's miss-steps and faux-pas in acting like a true big city, the canopy of trees, warm weather, and low cost of living are all acceptable tradeoffs.

For me, a gay 41 yr old man, it's ultimately the best compromise for my situation. I probably won't ever stop missing NYC though, as life is happening there at its most heightened state surrounded by go-getter types who are direct, no-nonsense, and actually very polite and willing to help a stranger. Once you get used to everybody interacting this way, you'll never stop making comparisons with other places.

Atlanta's first and foremost purpose is to be the mecca of the south, and with that you'll have different tastes and different standards. Just appreciate it for what it is, and hope that the state of Georgia catches up with, even, its neighboring states in terms of planning, education, government, roads, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM

40 posts, read 93,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post
...Bye?
I know thats right!!!

Old 08-16-2010, 01:19 PM

40 posts, read 93,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
A couple of photos from the Old Fourth Ward "ghetto":

For sale: My loft at 572 Edgewood Ave #105, Atlanta, GA 30312 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimday1982/3476949017/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Vertical Modern, Old Fourth Ward on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnnyurban/3740326072/ - broken link)

Danneman's Store Front on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcknight/2584839193/ - broken link)

Art deco condos in Old Fourth Ward on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberlrhea/3649345402/ - broken link)

577 Auburn on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/jcknight/2304287210/ - broken link)
yeah that really looks like a bad neighborhood.... These people are rediculous

Old 08-16-2010, 03:05 PM

143 posts, read 346,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityKING28 View Post
yeah that really looks like a bad neighborhood.... These people are rediculous
These people have never been to an ACTUAL bad neighborhood.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDawg85 View Post
These people have never been to an ACTUAL bad neighborhood.

You're right. So true.

I get a kick out of people who never leave their backyards and talk about areas they've never been to, and want to be the authoritative voice on how bad these areas are.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:34 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,532,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I probably won't ever stop missing NYC though, as life is happening there at its most heightened state surrounded by go-getter types who are direct, no-nonsense, and actually very polite and willing to help a stranger. Once you get used to everybody interacting this way, you'll never stop making comparisons with other places.
I feel this way quite often since I moved back about a year ago. I miss the intellectual stimulation and the vibe of living in one of the world's most important cities. I also miss trading smiles on the streets and the subway with some of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen. A lot of Atlanta women have always seemed stuck up to me for some reason. It's unfair to compare Atlanta to NYC but I can't help it.

The unrelenting heat and the general rudeness of a lot of Atlantans don't help matters any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta