Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 11:24 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times

Advertisements

Kudzu, trash cleared to create Beltline paths *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:31 AM

210 posts, read 455,117 times
This can only be good, I must say, but remember when this whole project had something to do with light rail?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:49 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
This can only be good, I must say, but remember when this whole project had something to do with light rail?
Yes, but there is also a trails and parks component to it as well. Since building that is cheaper, that's where the project will start. Then once the money is there, the rail will be added.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:52 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Good post and so true...many have said the initial focus on parks and trails may not be the best idea (and don't get me wrong...they are sorely needed and should be completed...). The transit component is really what's going to drive the Beltline and have the greatest impact on Atlanta.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Good post and so true...many have said the initial focus on parks and trails may not be the best idea (and don't get me wrong...they are sorely needed and should be completed...). The transit component is really what's going to drive the Beltline and have the greatest impact on Atlanta.
I agree, but I think having the trails now will only be a good thing for the neighborhoods. Who knows when the funding will be ready for the transit. In the meantime this will mean jobs, and a higher quality of life in a section of the city that has for the most part missed out on a lot of development in the last 20 years.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:10 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
It still does and they've just completed the tier 1 environmental impact study to define the right-of-way required to build transit. Transit is just ONE component of the Beltline and has always been the most long term component. But if you have a couple billion $ handy I'm sure they'd be delighted to get started on transit right away.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
It still does and they've just completed the tier 1 environmental impact study to define the right-of-way required to build transit. Transit is just ONE component of the Beltline and has always been the most long term component. But if you have a couple billion $ handy I'm sure they'd be delighted to get started on transit right away.
True...and people need to remember that a transit project of this magnitude takes many years to get started. They don't just go out and start laying tracks.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:15 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,049,092 times
Yes, that is why these other components of the project are exciting and will help gain momentum for the plan. You can't under-estimate the value of new parks and trails. This is a huge deal and if completed people will look to Atlanta to pattern other cities after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
True...and people need to remember that a transit project of this magnitude takes many years to get started. They don't just go out and start laying tracks.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM

Here are some vids of Beltline projects already in progress:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQdhVWcDje4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXt4JgnOxic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvMHZiR6_3o

Old 12-12-2009, 03:38 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I agree, but I think having the trails now will only be a good thing for the neighborhoods. Who knows when the funding will be ready for the transit. In the meantime this will mean jobs, and a higher quality of life in a section of the city that has for the most part missed out on a lot of development in the last 20 years.

Understood...and I agree--But, being a native, I just feel (in terms of transit), Atlanta has always "planned" so much but then...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta